Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Help me decide on suspension

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/15, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide on suspension

Am trying to decide on whether to lower my car and upgrade the suspension with one of the following 2 options:
1. Koni yellow shocks and struts, Steeda ultralight springs, and Steeda HD strut mounts with a cost of about $1200 or
2. Steeda Stage 1 coilovers which also include the Steeda HD strut mounts with a cost of $1850.

I have a 2011 GT track pack. It will be a street car that may see the very rare track day. I have already upgraded with UPR adjustable UCA and mount, LCAs, pan hard bar and pan hard support bracket. Also has 19" Forgestar F14 wheels.

Are the coilovers worth the extra money? Are the Konis that good? What would you do in my situation? Thanks for the replies.
Old 4/24/15, 08:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going to lower it with springs then you will need some relocation brackets. As far as the Konis, since your ride is going to be mostly street I think you can get away with the Koni orange str-ts - the Koni yellows or adjustable could be overkill. You don't need much more so you're on the right path for sure. I upgraded my suspension last spring with mostly STEEDA (great products) parts and Koni orange and the ride is beautiful! Keep us posted on what you decide, good luck.
Old 4/25/15, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Drmag,

PM sent. If you are looking for a great street car with the occasional track days ... we can definitely help with your build list. You can take a look at what we did with this car (mainly the parts you listed in 1 above):

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 4/25/15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 4/25/15, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Steeda sport springs and koni yellows are popular with many on this site. They allow some adjustability for the autocross and road race crowd. As for me, I went with steeda ultralites and steeda pro action shocks & struts. Great performance with some comfort allowed for bumpy road conditions. There are many options, just depends how you want your suspension to respond.
Old 4/25/15, 11:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I love my Steeda sport springs with koni yellows, and GT500 mounts
I do about 8-10 track days a year and daily drive 45 miles round trip to work!
Old 4/26/15, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steeda sport springs with koni yellows are the best .. I have them on my gt and I love them.......
Old 4/28/15, 08:02 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I went through the same decisions a month or two back. After talking with Don at Steeda I decided on the sport springs, Koni STrT (orange), HD mounts, adj pan hard bar, billet LCA's, and adjustable UCA. Don talked me out of the adjustable shocks/struts for my intended use. I put the savings into the control arms to reduce wheel hop. Unfortunately, since receiving all of the parts I haven't had the time for the install.
Old 5/4/15, 05:52 AM

Made my decision last night. Ordered the Koni yellows, Steeda Ultralight springs, and Steeda HD strut mounts. Used the savings by not buying the coilovers and spent that on the Steeda adjustable front and rear seat bars. Tomorrow my MGW shifter should be delivered. Can't wait to get this stuff bolted on.

I went to Shelbyfest in Jefferson City, MO this weekend and had the opportunity to see hundreds of Mustangs and talk to their owners. Founds several cars that were the type of look I was going for and they helped with making up my mind. It was a great event, everyone should check it out for next year.
Old 5/4/15, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You have made a great choice!

Let us know about the before & after ride with the new parts ... always fun to hear about the improvements made over stock.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 5/4/15, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I think your gonna like that set up. Good choice! Post some pics when it's done.
Old 6/24/15, 10:38 AM

Finally finished installing everything this week and got the alignment done. I did the entire install of the MGW shifter and all suspension components myself. I have never tried doing this kind of mechanical work before but everything went well. The Koni sports shocks and struts and Steeda ultralight springs gave it a much better look and the ride is a little firmer than stock with the dampers set at the softest setting. Tried out the dampers set to max and it felt like someone kicking me in the kidneys. Good to know I can firm it up for the occasional track day. The MGW race spec shifter is worth every penny. Have not missed a 1-2 or 2-3 shift since putting it in. This is the way a shifter should be! I will take some pics and post after I get it cleaned up.
Old 6/24/15, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Finally finished installing everything this week and got the alignment done. I did the entire install of the MGW shifter and all suspension components myself. I have never tried doing this kind of mechanical work before but everything went well. The Koni sports shocks and struts and Steeda ultralight springs gave it a much better look and the ride is a little firmer than stock with the dampers set at the softest setting. Tried out the dampers set to max and it felt like someone kicking me in the kidneys. Good to know I can firm it up for the occasional track day. The MGW race spec shifter is worth every penny. Have not missed a 1-2 or 2-3 shift since putting it in. This is the way a shifter should be! I will take some pics and post after I get it cleaned up.
Love to hear it & yes ... please post photos when available!!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/24/15, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by drmag
Glad to hear your pleased! How could you not be! Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 7/12/15, 12:05 PM

Finally upgraded my suspension with the Steeda sport springs, Koni sports struts and shocks, Steeda cc plates Steeda pan hard and brace. I'm sure I need not say what a Huge improvement in ride and handling. Had some issues with receiving wrong parts but Steeda made it right in a hurry. Love Steeda
Old 8/23/15, 07:26 PM

Finally got some photos of the car. Let me know what you think.
Old 8/23/15, 07:44 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Looks great! Love the rims.
Old 8/24/15, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

^ What he said.
Old 8/24/15, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Finally got some photos of the car. Let me know what you think.

Enough Said!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/24/15, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Steeda is definitely the best!
Old 8/29/15, 07:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Steeda is definitely the best!
Spot on!