Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brembo brake package pad replacement

Old 3/14/15, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brembo brake package pad replacement

Performance wise, I have no complaints with my brakes. The pads just produce a lot of brake dust. What would be a good set of pads to replace the original set? The car won't see a track.
Old 3/14/15, 03:55 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I switched to Hawk HPS pads on my brembo car after they stock pads wore out. They stop better than the original pads with a lot less dust. My wheels are no longer black all of the time.
Old 3/14/15, 05:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Another vote for Hawk HPS ...had them on a previous car and loved them.

Just installed a set on the rear of my Mustang since I was replacing the rotors anyway .... haven't driven the car yet so can't say how they are on this car, but I expect to be happy with them
Old 3/15/15, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StopTech streets. Hands down.
Old 3/15/15, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
If you are not tracking the car, I think HPS is overkill. Plus you have to worry about corrosive dust. I'd recommend any ceramic pad. Much less dust with a bit less bite.
Old 3/15/15, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Adaptive one. I have put them on several of my cars and Friends as well. Very little dust and a lot of stopping power check them out. Great for everyday and a Little performance driving on the street.
Old 3/15/15, 07:43 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Why would HPS be over kill for a street car? They are marketed as a street pad, not a track pad. They stop well and have significantly less dust than the factory pads. I have been driving them for 4-5 months without a sound. Also, please give more information on the corrosive dust. This is something that I have not heard before and would like additional information. Corrosion is something that I do not want and would consider changing pads if this a significant issue.
Old 3/15/15, 08:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just did a quick search and found lots of threads talking about corrosive dust, but none of them said the HPS pads gave it off.
Other Hawk pads (track pads), and other brands, but not the HPS.

Like I mentioned above, I used them on a previous car, a 4400-lb '07 Charger R/T AWD, and the dust easily wiped away. There was also quite a bit less dust than any other pads I had used in the past (OEM, Centri Posi-Quiet, and another brand, I forget which)
Old 3/16/15, 01:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have the HP+ pads for my Brembos and they dust less than the stock pads. They are noisy but bite like a pit bull when you Mash the brakes. Overkill for the street in the US. For here they are fine though.
Old 3/16/15, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
Why would HPS be over kill for a street car? They are marketed as a street pad, not a track pad. They stop well and have significantly less dust than the factory pads. I have been driving them for 4-5 months without a sound. Also, please give more information on the corrosive dust. This is something that I have not heard before and would like additional information. Corrosion is something that I do not want and would consider changing pads if this a significant issue.
My opinion on being overkill for the street, though that's difficult to argue due to being subjective in nature.

As for the other point, I called Hawk today to ask about the brake dust corrosive properties of HPS and HP+. I got a beat-around-the-bush answer that ALL metallic pads made dust which is corrosive to metal. HPS makes less dust, HP+ makes more dust. They never claimed that dust is non-corrosive, though they wouldn't give a straight answer, and the recommendation was wash the car on regular basis.

This was a big reason I went with Carbotech. They advertise their compound as producing non-corrosive brake dust, though a lot of it.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have the HP+ pads for my Brembos and they dust less than the stock pads. They are noisy but bite like a pit bull when you Mash the brakes. Overkill for the street in the US. For here they are fine though.
Agreed

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 3/17/15 at 05:42 AM.
Old 3/16/15, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
If you are not tracking the car, I think HPS is overkill. Plus you have to worry about corrosive dust. I'd recommend any ceramic pad. Much less dust with a bit less bite.
I would have to disagree but everyone has their own opinion, I use HP+ for the street and love them. I don't care about dust or noise though.
Old 3/17/15, 12:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

+1 for this. I don't care either.
Old 3/17/15, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302
I would have to disagree but everyone has their own opinion, I use HP+ for the street and love them. I don't care about dust or noise though.
Hey, It's cool . We have our preferences.

I think the stock Brembo pads were just the right coefficient of friction for DD, but they dust a lot. I clean my car once a month or so, and the brake dust really makes the wheels looks dirty after just a few days. So for DD I plan to swap to a 100% ceramic pad. The mu of the pad will drop, but that just means I push on the pedal a bit harder, which I'm ok with.

For track days I love the grip and fade resistance of XP10/8, though next time I get track pads I may got with XP12/8. Dust be damned.
Old 3/17/15, 06:20 PM
V6 Member

I installed Akebono Ceramic pads on my friends 07 GT500 this past week. Very good quality pads. Have used them before on customers Mercedes with good results. Local pepboys carry them in stock, but I ordered them from Rockauto to save a few extra bucks.

My GT500 friend is very pleased with the better pedal feel and almost zero dust of the Akebono's. He said after a drive in the car, the paint has more dust than the wheels!
Old 3/17/15, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Way2QWK
I installed Akebono Ceramic pads on my friends 07 GT500 this past week. Very good quality pads. Have used them before on customers Mercedes with good results. Local pepboys carry them in stock, but I ordered them from Rockauto to save a few extra bucks.

My GT500 friend is very pleased with the better pedal feel and almost zero dust of the Akebono's. He said after a drive in the car, the paint has more dust than the wheels!
I've used Akebono pads on my '01 Ranger ... loved them
Old 4/22/15, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question: just turned 4k on my 14 GT.. just bought Hawk ceramic pads... all my experience says change rotors... but it just seems to be a waste of money..

what are your thoughts of just changing pads?
Old 4/22/15, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dkj313
Question: just turned 4k on my 14 GT.. just bought Hawk ceramic pads... all my experience says change rotors... but it just seems to be a waste of money..

what are your thoughts of just changing pads?
Theoretically yes, you should.

From practical experience though I can tell you you don't have to. Good idea to run the rotors over with some sand paper, but you'll be fine.

I swap my stock pads with Race pads which are Metalic-Ceramic compound a week before my road course days, then put the stock pads back in. No vibration or any other issues. And I've been doing this for 2 seasons now.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/22/15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 4/23/15, 08:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think the stock Brembo pads were just the right coefficient of friction for DD, but they dust a lot. I clean my car once a month or so, and the brake dust really makes the wheels looks dirty after just a few days. So for DD I plan to swap to a 100% ceramic pad. The mu of the pad will drop, but that just means I push on the pedal a bit harder, which I'm ok with.

For track days I love the grip and fade resistance of XP10/8, though next time I get track pads I may got with XP12/8. Dust be damned.
Depending on tires I would go even further, XP20/XP10, the combo is pretty serious.
Old 4/23/15, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm on XP10 up front a the moment too and have a set or two of xp12's that I'll be putting in for the more brake aggressive tracks. I'll let you know if I can tell a difference.

My opinion is Hawk HP is a great street pad. HP plus is aggressive for the street and it makes noise which is annoying. But it has excellent bite and inspires confidence. I don't get very concerned about brake dust. I hardly clean my wheels anymore... One 20 minute session and it looks like I never cleaned my wheels... Starting to get lazy cleaning the car too. Inside is always pristine but outside I live with dust and rubber marks a lot more now than when I first got it
Old 4/23/15, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Depending on tires I would go even further, XP20/XP10, the combo is pretty serious.
You're not kidding, that is a serious combo! Do you run slicks? I stay on street tires and I think XP12 would be as high as I'd go.

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I'm on XP10 up front a the moment too and have a set or two of xp12's that I'll be putting in for the more brake aggressive tracks. I'll let you know if I can tell a difference.
What do you think so far? Curious to get your feedback on the 10s and 12s.
I'm all smiles about my current brake performance. Now I'm starting to think I need grippier tires though. It never ends!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brembo brake package pad replacement