Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

bad Koni struts?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/15, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad Koni struts?

I am in the process of putting in new koni orange struts in my 14 Gt. When we took off the band in one of the struts, the strut stayed in the compressed state. Isn't it supposed to extend when the band is taken off? Do I have a bad strut in here?
Old 9/20/15, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You need to turn the shaft 1/4 counter clockwise looking 'down' on the strut. Or clockwise. Whichever it will move. This ensures it's not locked up in that direction.

Then you need to cycle the strut a few times, pulling the shaft out, then pushing it back in, until it is resistive in both directions.

Then it should be fine. If it doesn't do this, then yes, the strut is bad.

Reason: Shipping it in the compressed state loads the strut up on one side, so there's nothing on the other one. Slamming in the car and then going off and bouncing around will kill it in a hurry. So you have to equalize the gas/fluid in a shock/strut before installation. About 5-10 cycles should do it.

Last edited by houtex; 9/20/15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 9/21/15, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
You need to turn the shaft 1/4 counter clockwise looking 'down' on the strut. Or clockwise. Whichever it will move. This ensures it's not locked up in that direction.

Then you need to cycle the strut a few times, pulling the shaft out, then pushing it back in, until it is resistive in both directions.

Then it should be fine. If it doesn't do this, then yes, the strut is bad.

Reason: Shipping it in the compressed state loads the strut up on one side, so there's nothing on the other one. Slamming in the car and then going off and bouncing around will kill it in a hurry. So you have to equalize the gas/fluid in a shock/strut before installation. About 5-10 cycles should do it.
We did what you suggested and it worked just fine. thanks..
Old 9/21/15, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Excellent! Enjoy dem Konis!
Old 9/24/15, 01:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad Koni struts?

Originally Posted by dohc97
We did what you suggested and it worked just fine. thanks..
I wouldn't bother trying to make them work. I had the same issue with mine. Once I had them on the car for a few days they started to squeak. Had to wait for replacements and redo the job.