Notices
Deep Impact Blue

Deep Impact Blue pics

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/12, 11:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
SICK COLOR!!!! Thanks Steve!!! I found a few more from the LA Auto Show. It was there as well.
Old 1/21/12, 11:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Being that Kona Blue looks very similar to the deep impact blue, why get rid of Kona Blue and offer impact blue. Not really much of a difference.
Kona almost got the axe for 2012 models due to the Japan disaster. It may have been a decision to go with a new formulation of a blue color to reduce the chances of supply disruption again.
Old 1/21/12, 01:01 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kona is navy. This is blue blue.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/21/12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 1/21/12, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Kona is navy. This is blue blue.
Kona = Navy, purple, black combo look depending on lighting. This blue = blue
Old 1/22/12, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
It's an optical illusion Shady Optical Illusion - YouTube

No, it's not an optical illusion, it's a prismatic effect caused by the inclusion of red colored flakes in the base coat of the paint. The Kona Blue has red metal flakes in it, and when the light hitting it is heavily shifted to the red side of the spectrum it appears purple. It's the same technique used to create iridescent paint jobs.

It's science, not an illusion.

You can see a few of the red flakes on the left side of this shot.

Old 1/22/12, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moustang

No, it's not an optical illusion, it's a prismatic effect caused by the inclusion of red colored flakes in the base coat of the paint. The Kona Blue has red metal flakes in it, and when the light hitting it is heavily shifted to the red side of the spectrum it appears purple. It's the same technique used to create iridescent paint jobs.

It's science, not an illusion.

You can see a few of the red flakes on the left side of this shot.
Someone doesn't get the joke. Yes, Kona Blue has metallic flakes, hence the name Kona Blue Metallic but they're not red.
Old 1/22/12, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Someone doesn't get the joke. Yes, Kona Blue has metallic flakes, hence the name Kona Blue Metallic but they're not red.

It's amazing, even after seeing a photograph clearly showing red flakes you deny that they are there.

One problem with your theory there though, Kona Blue paint contains the Japanese produced paint product called Xirallic, which makes it an alumina effect pigment. Xirallic creates metallic flakes that reflect different colors depending on the thickness of the flake and the wavelength of the light hitting them, and would not be necessary or even desirable if you were only making a single color metallic paint job.

Deep Impact Blue contains no Xirallic, which is why it looks like a truer blue while Kona Blue can appear purple. Like I said, it's a prismatic effect, and if you disagree then I happily invite you to take a nice closeup picture of Kona Blue with direct sunlight shining on it. Don't be surprised when you see red flecks in the photo.

Last edited by Moustang; 1/22/12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 1/22/12, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moustang

It's amazing, even after seeing a photograph clearly showing red flakes you deny that they are there.

One problem with your theory there though, Kona Blue paint contains the Japanese produced paint product called Xirallic, which makes it an alumina effect pigment. Xirallic creates metallic flakes that reflect different colors depending on the thickness of the flake, and would not be necessary or even desirable if you were only making a single color metallic paint job.

Deep Impact Blue contains no Xirallic, which is why it looks like a truer blue while Kona Blue can appear purple. Like I said, it's a prismatic effect, and if you disagree then I happily invite you to take a nice closeup picture of Kona Blue with direct sunlight shining on it. Don't be surprised when you see red flecks in the photo.
I own a Kona Blue Metallic Vehicle
Old 1/22/12, 06:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I own a Kona Blue Metallic Vehicle
You think that makes you an expert on if it has red flakes!!!

I kid..... I kid
Old 2/17/12, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it's a toss up between DIB and sterling grey. Once I see the DIB in person, I'll decide. I like the pictures I've seen so far of the DIB but I really want to see it out in the open.
Old 2/17/12, 10:56 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new focus has it! It looks great. It should be at your local dealer right now.
Old 2/17/12, 01:56 PM
Former Vendor

Looks like Sonic Blue from '05 to me. Great color.
Old 2/17/12, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

DIB. Swallow the snake
Attached Thumbnails Deep Impact Blue pics-dsc4048_pk.jpg  
Old 2/17/12, 04:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a few I took today @ the Chicago Auto Show. I have to say I didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in person definitely changed my mind. One of my new favorite colors.
Attached Images    
Old 2/17/12, 07:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Here's a few I took today @ the Chicago Auto Show. I have to say I didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in person definitely changed my mind. One of my new favorite colors.
That color on the Shelby with white stripes looks amazing. My new dream car. Hopefully it will be at the Toronto Auto Show. Gonna check it out tomorrow.
Old 3/7/12, 08:52 PM

These two 2013 Pre Production Mustang 5.0s were given to the Alcatraz Production crew to do a chase scene in the season finale. Guess what the car not pictured is? If you guessed a Dodge Charger, you'd be right.

I work for a prominent Ford dealership, and ran into the production crew practicing stunts in the back lot. They wouldn't tell me the details except that they would be jumping one of the two Mustangs. I ran into one of their mechanics a few days later, he was welding a skidplate on one of them. I have a feeling they'll be paying homage to Bullitt and doing a SF chase scene with said Mustangs and Charger.

They are Deep Impact Blue.

Major differences, as you may know, from the 2012 are front and rear facia changes to look more like the Shelby. Blacked out LED tail Lamps, and a few interior bits and pieces.

Both seem to be standard GT Premiums. One of them had some Recaros from the Boss 302. Both were running some SUPER soft Pirellis, which I think they should have run a harder tire for the stunts they were describing.

In any case, enjoy.
Old 3/7/12, 10:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
while I'm totally partial to blue cars -and basically like the new color- I still dont see why they dont bring back acapulco blue or a similar lighter/brighter shade.

Certain colors were 'perfect' shades-
Redfire Metallic (I'm not into reds, but that shade 'pops' in the sun!)
Acapulco Blue Metallic (my all time favorite)
Corvette Daytona Yellow (sorry- but its a great color)

of course theres more, but those 3 top my list of sports car colors. a pretty car looks decent in any color, but IMO the 'sports car' tagline should justify the most eye-popping shades available. I gotta still say I think the old Sublime/plumcrazy mopars were more along the way a sports/muscle car should be shaded...
Old 3/7/12, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
while I'm totally partial to blue cars -and basically like the new color- I still dont see why they dont bring back acapulco blue or a similar lighter/brighter shade.

of course theres more, but those 3 top my list of sports car colors. a pretty car looks decent in any color, but IMO the 'sports car' tagline should justify the most eye-popping shades available. I gotta still say I think the old Sublime/plumcrazy mopars were more along the way a sports/muscle car should be shaded...
I agree a lighter blue would be nice, even the current steel blue would look great on a Mustang.

Also, I'm disappointed that Lava Red Metallic is going away, looks black until daylight and it pops really well.

As for daytona Yellow, the 2013 Boss' School bus yellow should be pretty similar.
Old 3/8/12, 08:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Though the Deep Impact Blue is nice, I still prefer Kona much better. But if I had to buy a 2013 stang, it would be DIB. It's a close 2nd.

Originally Posted by ford4v429

For a second there, per your avatar, I thought you had a Kona 2011 or 2012. What color is your 2006??? That's a nice blue.
Old 3/8/12, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

What the hell is wrong with the 2013 GT exhaust tips? They just look awful!

Quick Reply: Deep Impact Blue pics