Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Say What? Melting Pistons!?

Old 6/23/11, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Say What? Melting Pistons!?

First time poster, short time stalker here.

I have been checking in with Ford Dealers in Central Ohio on Boss availability. About six weeks ago, one of them said they had already sold two and would be getting two more in. I dropped by last week and asked when the other two would arrive.

I was told that their (and everyone elses) non-delivered allocations were cancelled since some bosses had engine failures where the pistons melted and that the word hasn't really gotten out yet. He also said allocations would likely pick back up later in the year.

Since I searched under every topic I could think of to find supporting info and couldn't find a thing, plus I see new bosses popping up all the time on ebay and cars.com, he must have been yanking me. Just checking to see if anyone here heard anything at all about engine issues in these cars beyond the potential fuel issue.

Now I know some salesmen say whatever they need to in order to make a sale, I've never been told something to chase me away, unless they lost their allocation and was tired of hearing from me.

Thoughts?
Old 6/23/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Haven't heard anything like that!! Who knows what he was trying to accomplish with that..
Old 6/23/11, 05:22 PM
GT Member

I heard that they were spontaneously combusting
(like the drummers in Spinal Tap), but also spontaneouly re-appearing.

Old 6/23/11, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah mine melted as soon as I started it. Luckily I was at the dealer and he's giving me a free GT 500 while I wait for Ford to build me a new one.
Old 6/23/11, 05:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Yeah mine melted as soon as I started it. Luckily I was at the dealer and he's giving me a free GT 500 while I wait for Ford to build me a new one.
That's what you get with a blew one
Old 6/23/11, 06:12 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jza1736
Hey tell your dealer I'll be glad to spend my money with them (I know they didn't spot you a GT500 or did they? )! Long story short, I had a warranty issue with my GT500 that stretched into about a week or so and the Ford dealer I purchased my car from gave me a frigg'n base Hyundai Elantra while sheepishly telling me how much gas I would save.

On the bright side, I can tell you an Elantra goes airborne over about a 3 inch dip in the road at 45 mph. On the downside, you will get a crack in the windshield when it lands, but hey that's what you pay insurance for! They also don't get all that impressive gas mileage when you have to floor the bastard just to keep the turd from holding up traffic.
Old 6/23/11, 06:19 PM
GT Member

Doubt It

The place I work at does alot of work with Ford, and I haven't heard any of the engineers mention anything like this. I deal with the powertrain group all the time. Our machines, machine the Heads, Blocks and Cranks for the Coyote engines at the various Ford Engine plants. (We don't do the CNC porting work on the Boss heads as that is outsourced) I am looking at about 300 to 400 coyote blocks on our floor right now going thru machining trials for a volume expansion line. Can't make enough of these 5.0's & can't make'em fast enough.

Maybe he was thinking of the original Bosses (69-70) with piston skirt failures or he has really good contacts at Ford and we are all screwed.

Mike
Old 6/23/11, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob

Hey tell your dealer I'll be glad to spend my money with them (I know they didn't spot you a GT500 or did they? )! Long story short, I had a warranty issue with my GT500 that stretched into about a week or so and the Ford dealer I purchased my car from gave me a frigg'n base Hyundai Elantra while sheepishly telling me how much gas I would save.

On the bright side, I can tell you an Elantra goes airborne over about a 3 inch dip in the road at 45 mph. On the downside, you will get a crack in the windshield when it lands, but hey that's what you pay insurance for! They also don't get all that impressive gas mileage when you have to floor the bastard just to keep the turd from holding up traffic.
I was just having some fun!
Old 6/23/11, 07:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss2X
The place I work at does alot of work with Ford, and I haven't heard any of the engineers mention anything like this. I deal with the powertrain group all the time. Our machines, machine the Heads, Blocks and Cranks for the Coyote engines at the various Ford Engine plants. (We don't do the CNC porting work on the Boss heads as that is outsourced) I am looking at about 300 to 400 coyote blocks on our floor right now going thru machining trials for a volume expansion line. Can't make enough of these 5.0's & can't make'em fast enough.

Maybe he was thinking of the original Bosses (69-70) with piston skirt failures or he has really good contacts at Ford and we are all screwed.

Mike
The place you work at "May" or "May not" work with Ford but I heard from a much better trust worthy source this is true! My friends father knows the brother of a guy that use to work for a dealer (yes a real dealer that sells foreign cars but takes trade in Fords) and he still has contacts there that confirm this is fact. However I am not worried since this is a minor problem, I will not rest until the cup holder is fixed, dam-it, I have spilled my last beer shifting on the track. If this is not fixed by next week I will crash the Boss into the dealer's front window and light it on fire.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/23/11 at 08:38 PM.
Old 6/23/11, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obviously I am not the only one bored waiting for the next track day or Mustang event to play at. I just pick on my employees. ;-)
Old 6/23/11, 07:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Obviously I am not the only one bored waiting for the next track day or Mustang event to play at. I just pick on my employees. ;-)
I'm bored....waiting for Ford to ship my freakin Boss.
Old 6/23/11, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
The place you work at "May" or "May not" work with Ford but I heard from a much better trust worthy source this is true! My friends father know the brother of a guy that use to work for a dealer (yes a real dealer that sells foreign cars but takes trade in Fords) and he still has contacts there that confirm this is fact. However I am not worried since this is a minor problem, I will not rest until the cup holder is fixed, dam-it, I have spilled my last beer shifting on the track. If this is not fixed by next week I will crash the Boss into the dealer's front window and light it on fire.
Good one
Old 6/23/11, 08:22 PM
GT Member

I heard it was the lifters fault
Old 6/23/11, 09:22 PM
FR500 Member

It's because one of their tech writers went rogue. See the attached break in instructions. :P

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Boss Supplement extract.pdf (37.0 KB, 228 views)
Old 6/23/11, 09:57 PM
GT Member

Well as you guys make fun of this dude there has been some GT that have had#8 piston go belly up on them when running a tune here the link to the thread http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...take-dump.html
Old 6/23/11, 09:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Well as you guys make fun of this dude there has been some GT that have had#8 piston go belly up on them when running a tune here the link to the thread http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...take-dump.html
How many stock GTs are taking dumps?
Old 6/23/11, 10:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 300AGT
I think this story is mis-stating the incident I had recently while out on an oil well running logs. I was heating my can of refried beans on the exhaust manifold of my Boss 302 for lunch (old wellsite geologist cooking secret). I forgot about them, they got too hot and they exploded. Scared the hell out of everyone on the drilling rig as they thought it was a blowout. The beans were heating next to #8 cylinder so that may account for the confusion.
Old 6/23/11, 10:17 PM
GT Member

There have been a few not alot . The ring land gose belly up. If you take the time to go through the thread there some pic of the pistons .The tuners are say it not them and that it just some motor have a weak piston in them . Who know for sure . The boss piston are better than the GT piston any way but the thread was a good read .If you have a GT it dose make you think if you realy want to do that tune or not .
Old 6/23/11, 10:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I thought the majority of the #8 issue was tooner
Old 6/23/11, 10:47 PM
GT Member

Well if you ask them they say no way it was them . Now just me thinking i think there may have been some custom tunes done that may have been pushing it a litte to far . Had the knock sensor setting set to low and that #8 cly may run leaner than the other do .The motor than ping bam dead piston but that just me thinking .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Say What? Melting Pistons!?