Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Project Boss 302 on Steroids

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/16, 08:39 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
Thanks guys, I don't know how many times I have sat there and played the videos listening to it. I do know that if you want the real expierence you have to go and play it through the speakers in your car. The rumble and the bass is amplified ten fold. I **** ner jizzed my pants!
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
Awesome bro. I hope there will be more videos to come.
Old 5/15/16, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
Awesome bro. I hope there will be more videos to come.
As soon as I get some from JPC I will post them!! I'm excited for this.
Old 5/15/16, 01:21 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by ford20
As soon as I get some from JPC I will post them!! I'm excited for this.
That's awesome Sean. I'm happy for you bro!
Can't wait.
Old 5/15/16, 03:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome! I like how the shop wraps up the front end of the car.

It's impressive that you did about 99% of the engine assembly and it must feel pretty good. There is definitely a lot of technology wrapped up in these engines.
Old 5/17/16, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's awesome Sean. I'm happy for you bro!
Can't wait.
Thanks Tony, I'm excited too! With any luck I can get it back by the end of the week.

They are going to start tuning it today.

Originally Posted by esir_spd
That's awesome! I like how the shop wraps up the front end of the car.

It's impressive that you did about 99% of the engine assembly and it must feel pretty good. There is definitely a lot of technology wrapped up in these engines.
Yep! They buy it from Uline to help protect the paint from dings, dents or anything like that.

Thank you, it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.
Old 5/17/16, 06:00 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

So awesome.
Sounds nasty bro!
Old 6/11/16, 03:52 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Sean,....did you get your back BOSS yet? I meant to ask this a while ago, but got side tracked.
Car does sound nasty bro!
Old 6/14/16, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey Tony sorry for the ack of updates here but it has been a very very very tough 4 weeks on me.

The engine blew as JPC was strapping it to the dyno due to a faulty piston. Justin was in the car getting everything ready when he heard a noise coming from the engine so they shut the car down and pulled it out of the dyno bay. They took a bore scope and started looking around and they found some marks on #4 bore so they tore down the motor and sent the engine off to RGR for inspection and tear down. Rich found the issue with the piston and is trying to get some sort of help from the piston manufacturer the last I heard.

That being said, JPC is covering all costs on the engine including getting me new pistons and the charge to rebuild the motor completely which is amazing. I figured this would play out like every single time someone has a motor that goes bad. Everytime I see something like this it is everyone pointing fingers at someone else, but not JPC. They said here is the piston that got ****ed up, you can see what we are talking about and it was just one of those extremely rare cases where manufacturer messed up but we are going to take care of you regardless and get the car running in a few weeks.

They rushed 4 new pistons to Rich so they could get coated. I forget if they will have the motor by this Friday or if the Motor will be finished by this Friday so I am guessing an ETA of getting it back next week.
Old 6/14/16, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Holy crap. How bittersweet. Sh*tty that it happened, but awesome that they're taking care of you!
Old 6/14/16, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
what happened to the piston??? I can understand a bearing or ring or wrist pin or are you using the word piston as a general. hopefully your cylinder walls are OK that a light hone will handle.
I hate to hear bad news but this is how we all learn. Please post when you get the final call on what ended #4 pistons life.
Old 6/14/16, 02:38 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Jeez, what a pain. At least you're being taken care of. Would really suck to have it happen when you finally get it back again. *Fingers Crossed* you don't have anymore issues with her!
Old 6/14/16, 05:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Wow, sorry to hear Sean.
But, it is VERY awesome of JPC to cover all costs and take care of it for you. That is a stand-up shop! They are there for the customer.
And, it is better that it happened there in their hands than to you barreling around the track at home somewhere. Good luck sir and keep us posted!
Old 6/14/16, 08:08 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Glad to hear they want to take care of you!
Old 6/15/16, 06:02 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Been following your thread....how 'effin frustrating.
Old 6/15/16, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Holy crap. How bittersweet. Sh*tty that it happened, but awesome that they're taking care of you!

You can say that again Patrick! I am glad they are going to take care of me now and try to get something from the piston manufacturer later.

Originally Posted by boss man
what happened to the piston??? I can understand a bearing or ring or wrist pin or are you using the word piston as a general. hopefully your cylinder walls are OK that a light hone will handle.
I hate to hear bad news but this is how we all learn. Please post when you get the final call on what ended #4 pistons life.
Here's the thing, I have a picture of the piston, I know what caused it to fail and since JPC is taking care of me I would rather not want to hurt their chances of getting re-embursed by the manufacturer since these are race parts and nothing here comes with any warranty's. I will say though the piston is 99.99% in tact, it was just a flaw in the manufacturing process that almost no one would have been able to catch without having to do a very very very detailed analysis of the piston. There was really absolutely no way anyone at RGR or at the manufacturer could have seen the issue. Sorry about that, I mean I have tried to remain as transparent as possible throughout the entire build, but this one I have to remain in the shadows unless I get the OK.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Jeez, what a pain. At least you're being taken care of. Would really suck to have it happen when you finally get it back again. *Fingers Crossed* you don't have anymore issues with her!
I hope so too, it has been almost 2 years at this point so I think I am going to have the car blessed as soon as I get it back hahaha.

Wow, sorry to hear Sean.
But, it is VERY awesome of JPC to cover all costs and take care of it for you. That is a stand-up shop! They are there for the customer.
And, it is better that it happened there in their hands than to you barreling around the track at home somewhere. Good luck sir and keep us posted!
Yes sir! I even got a call from Justin, the owner telling me not to worry that the car was the number 1 priority and it would be all hands on deck when the car gets back. They felt bad not getting this off to me before Carlisle so they were doing everything they could to get the car back as soon as they could. Stand up shop for sure!

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Glad to hear they want to take care of you!
Yes! It would have sucked if that didn't happen. I would have probably had to sell the car or something haha.
Old 7/14/16, 02:45 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Sean... WOW... what a thread. How did I MISS this? Sorry man.

I subscribed so I can read. I'm only on page 1. LOL. Let me catch up.
Old 7/15/16, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sean... WOW... what a thread. How did I MISS this? Sorry man.

I subscribed so I can read. I'm only on page 1. LOL. Let me catch up.
Haha no worries Burton, it has been a long time in the making and will hopefully be reaching the end of the engine build sometime next week fingers crossed.
Old 7/15/16, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
You know what, at least this happened in their hands, not a week after tuning. Still sucks but they found the issue early, and another week or 2 is not too steep of a price to pay for a flawless motor.
Old 8/9/16, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Also, the newest startup video <3

I got home last night after work earlier than I normally do so I decided to do a few things last night in order to pass the time. It was nothing too involved, just putting on some stickers haha.

A few months ago I ended up buying some 2013 tail lights for a steal. The ebay listing for the right side of the car listed that there was a small crack in the tail light, but it was still working. Seeing as how it was $250 I jumped on it. When I got it though, the crack was there as well as so many tiny little scratches and marks and crap so yesterday I grabbed the tail light and some rubbing compound and got the marks and scratches out of the tail light so that it looks pretty much like new except for the scratch. I can live with it though for $250 until I find one in better condition.

I also wanted to thank Pete over at Track Day Solutions for the help in getting me a Laguna Seca logo for the back. I know I confused him a bit since it was sort of an odd request since most people want to be able to see the decal haha. I had gotten a RTR rear decklid panel for my car and I wanted to have a Laguna Seca logo somewhere on the decklid, but I also liked how the RTR logo was sort of hidden. So I wanted something as close to the original logo as I could. It is a small detail that will almost always go unnoticed, but I think will add nice personal touch to the car when you actually see it. So I ended up putting it on the decklid and it came out awesome I think. You can barely notice it in low light conditions:

In direct light though it really pops:

I also got the AM smoked center section lights as well and decided to put them on. Another install so easy even I can do it haha. If you look really closely you can see the crack in the center light on the right tail light.

Then the finished version:

I think I am the only person in the world who can make a half page post about putting stickers on their car

I also got the notification that the car might be going on the dyno today so with any luck I can get it back and ready on Friday. If not, no big deal, but it would be nice.

There sure is a lot that has to get done to the car when I get it back. Right now I have the tail lights & decklid panel, new rear bumper to come in the future since mine is a wee bit mangled at the moment from some old lady backing her hitch into my car. Then I have wheels and still have to figure out what size tires will be going on them. I also bought a set of Steeda Boss springs, but I will probably swap them out in exchange for a set of BMR handling springs and drop the car a bit more.

Last edited by ford20; 8/9/16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 8/9/16, 12:01 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Sean - awesome news! And no worries about blabbing on about stickers on a car. I could do the same about paint and detailing. LOL. But hey, it's your thread - do what you want.

About the Laguna logo though, and it popping in the light, I am worried though that light never shines that brightly on that curved (tucked in) surface? So, what if it is never visible?

As for the taillights, and crack in taillights, I don't even see it! That's a good find! Someday, I may upgrade too.

What are you going to do about the gap between the light and the rear bumper? Or are you planning to swap out bumpers too?