Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

mounting options for Aeroforce Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/11, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting options for Aeroforce Gauge

Has anyone installed an Aeroforce gauge in the round vent to the left of the steering wheel?

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

Any mounting ideas
and recommendations for other guages would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 10/9/11, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got mine in a Roush pod in the left AC vent.
Works great there. Installation was very simple. About the same amount of air still comes through the vent, but you lose the directional fins with the install.
Easy to see, and I've got it set to show 2 items and not scroll. All I really care about on the track is coolant temp anyway. And you can see and clear codes with it.
I know others have them in the AC vent too and like it.
Mounting in the pillar is another option, but will block your view some.
Old 10/10/11, 05:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD GT
I've got mine in a Roush pod in the left AC vent.
Works great there. Installation was very simple. About the same amount of air still comes through the vent, but you lose the directional fins with the install.
Easy to see, and I've got it set to show 2 items and not scroll. All I really care about on the track is coolant temp anyway. And you can see and clear codes with it.
I know others have them in the AC vent too and like it.
Mounting in the pillar is another option, but will block your view some.
Thanks!
That's exactly what I was looking for.

How dificult was it to run the cable?
Did you go through the vent, or did you just leave the cable exposed?
Old 10/10/11, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the vent pod.

Routing the cable is VERY easy when you have the factory vent removed. You don't need anything besides fingers.

Be Careful removing the stock vent fins from the frame, though. I did break one of them. oops.
Old 10/10/11, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Does not block your view like some would think. If I would have gotten just one Aeroforce Gauge, I would of used the Roush ventpod.
Old 10/10/11, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Great thread... subscribed.

I want to get one of these guages but I'm reluctant to give up my AC vent control.
Old 10/10/11, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Great thread... subscribed.

I want to get one of these guages but I'm reluctant to give up my AC vent control.
SOS also has single pod pillar replacements. They're pretty cheap too, but excellent quality.
Old 10/10/11, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Ted,
The wire is easy. The vent has a plastic pipe that slides inside the pipe in the car's duct work. A ring of soft foam forms an air seal between the to pieces. The gauge cable easily goes between the 2 pipes and the foam seals around it. No drilling, no tools needed, just fingers like Ronin38 said.
I wrapped some electrical tape around the gauge edge so it would fit more snug into the pod.
Here's the Roush page. Click "Installation Instructions" in the Learn more container.
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1213
I also removed the OBDII plug from the dash and stuffed it up where I can't see it. I didn't want the gauge plug hanging down. Not a big deal though.
Old 10/10/11, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Ted,
The wire is easy. The vent has a plastic pipe that slides inside the pipe in the car's duct work. A ring of soft foam forms an air seal between the to pieces. The gauge cable easily goes between the 2 pipes and the foam seals around it. No drilling, no tools needed, just fingers like Ronin38 said.
I wrapped some electrical tape around the gauge edge so it would fit more snug into the pod.
Here's the Roush page. Click "Installation Instructions" in the Learn more container.
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1213
I also removed the OBDII plug from the dash and stuffed it up where I can't see it. I didn't want the gauge plug hanging down. Not a big deal though.
Thanks!
I was wondering about the ability of running the cable through the vent tube. Sounds easy.
Old 10/10/11, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wrapped some tape around mine, too!

There's a big space under/behind the dash near the OBD port, so I twist-tied the leftover wire up in there. The plug in the port doesn't bother me at all.
Old 10/10/11, 08:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Can you please explain this better. Is there more than one OBD port? Can you post a photo?
Old 10/10/11, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Rick,
The Aeroforce connector is about 3/4 inch tall. The wire comes off the side of the plug. I didn't want to see it or hit it with my foot/leg when I get in and out of the car.
So I popped the OBD plug off of the dash, and swung it up under the dash. Not a lot of extra wire up there because it goes into a tied down bundle, but its doable.
Then I plugged in the Aeroforce and used a hook/loop tie to hold all the wire neatly under the dash.
Sorry, no pic, but I'll see if I can take one next time I take it out for a drive--most likely for its winter and differential change, and then in the coral for winter.
Old 10/10/11, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just finished this install last week. with the aluminum trim ring and the white face, and the Roush gauge pod, it looks factory. The hardest part will be programming your gauge. install was easy as pie!

mmmmmm...pie.......

Last edited by bones302; 10/10/11 at 01:41 PM. Reason: I like pie
Old 10/10/11, 03:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bones302
I just finished this install last week. with the aluminum trim ring and the white face, and the Roush gauge pod, it looks factory. The hardest part will be programming your gauge. install was easy as pie!

mmmmmm...pie.......

Pics!!!
Old 10/11/11, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Vent pod works great. Visibility on track is excellent and doesn't impede your field of vision like A pillar or dash.
Attached Images   
Old 10/11/11, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I used this universal pod from GlowShift. I was going to use the roush vent pod, but found it was too low and out of line-of-site for track use. I mounted this in the very far corner of my dash using 3M tape. If I decide later to get a second (or third) gauge, I will most likely go with the Laguna Seca mount or an a-pillar mount as show above.

Last edited by JScheier; 10/11/11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10/14/11, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thumbs up UPDATE FOR AUTO'S!

Hey folks! Anyone with a 2011+ GT with the Auto. Trans-

You may have noticed that the Trans. Temp. does not show anything. I have been in contact with Aeroforce Tech., and there is now an UPDATE for the gauge! I sent mine in last week, got it back, and they said to use Platform 4, Trans Temp 3 - SUCCESS!!

I'm a happy camper now! I can monitor the Trans. Temp's when doing the occasional track day, and I set the LCD's to come on in case it gets above 230 degrees.
Old 10/14/11, 09:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Ron,
Be careful with an auto on the track. Hope the tranny runs cooler than the '05-10 autos do.
I've got a '10 w/ an auto in it. 3d track day I was getting more aggressive and the tranny vented fluid. Had fluid changed, and dealer assured me it was filled to correct level. Then installed the Aeroforce gauge ('10 showed tranny temp) and driving slightly more aggressive than cool down laps pushed the temp to 230. Hitting the accelerator hard a couple times pushed it to 250.
Three weeks later I got a Boss. Thats my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.
But seriously, watch the tranny temp. Maybe the 6 speed can handle it better than the previous model.
Old 10/15/11, 06:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is THE primary reason why I bought this gauge! Also why I stayed in touch with them to get this update.

I should also note that I will only track this car maybe once per year, and just for fun. I have an older Miata for track duties!