Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Help me diagnose a clicking noise please

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/12, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose a clicking noise please

In the last few days, I have noticed a "click click click" noise coming from under the back half of the car at low speeds, usually when pulling away from a stop sign or sometimes slowly going over a speedbump in 2nd and lightly slipping the clutch. I put the car on jackstands and crawled underneath the car today, rotated the each rear wheel by hand and didn't hear it at all. Also paid attention to the driveshaft but didn't notice anything.

The first time I heard it, I thought i had a pebble lodged in my tire because the clicking picks up speed as I accelerate but I checked and that's not it. You can only hear it with windows all the way down and no radio going, it's pretty faint.

The only thing that I can think of is the clutch, although the car only has 3800 miles, and the noise 'seems' to be a little further back. I also have Steeda billet LCAs but I looked at them and nothing that I could see would cause that noise. It's very much a noise associated with rotation.

Any thoughts? Am I an idiot??? Thank you in advance!

John
Old 4/7/12, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not an idiot. Thats what warrantys are for. Take it by the service department and give them a ride in your car. Maybe they can diagnose further. Good luck and let us know what it ends up being.
Old 4/7/12, 05:59 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I got this TSB data from Shane M which Shane M did on my 2012 Boss
.....due to ticking noise....

FORD:2011-2012 Mustang
ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 Mustangs built on or before 4/1/2011 may exhibit a grunt/creak/chirp/squeak noise from the front lower control arm hydro bushing. These noises may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps, pot holes, rough roads and driveway approaches.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Use chassis ears on the lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing. The hydro bushing is the large diameter bushing at the rear of thecontrol arm.
    1. If the noise is not confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, do not continue with the article. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for normal diagnostics.
    2. If the noise is confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, replace the lower control arm that is making the noise. Refer to WSM, Section 204-01.
PART NUMBERPART NAMECR3Z-3078-AArm Assy - Right FrontCR3Z-3079-AArm Assy - Left Front
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME110708A2011-2012 Mustang: Replace One (1) Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.2 Hrs.110708B2011-2012 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.6 Hrs.
Old 4/7/12, 08:58 PM
V6 Member

Hey thank you JPC! I ran across that when I was searching before I posted and I definitely think my car has the chirping/jingling right front A-arm that is getting worse in the warmer weather so I'll need to get that fixed, too.

But the clicking noises I'm talking about are definitely coming from a different area.
Old 4/7/12, 11:13 PM
GT Member

Electric fuel pump?
Old 4/7/12, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mammothcar1
Electric fuel pump?
It's new, so it's electric. The pump shouldn't even be heard at all. Maybe you got a small exhaust leak. They can sound very "mechanical" sometimes.
Old 4/7/12, 11:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

If it picks up with speed, it's drivetrain related. Rear end, driveshaft, etc. They would have put the car on the lift and "drive" it in the air in order to replicate and diag it.
Old 4/8/12, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

It might be worth a try you never know. Check all your lug nuts.
I had this happen on a "new" 86 IROC z28....turns out all the lugs on all the wheels were loose. Dealer claimed the wheel was so popular back then that they were always being stolen on the dealer lot. Probably not the lug nuts but what do you have to lose by checking each lug?
The sound would only come on acceleration and deceleration. At the time I had no idea my lugs where loose. On a new car why would they be? I used to sheer my studs off my 68 camaro when I used to street race... I know that particular sound very well and that's how I figured out my IROC lugs were loose! LOL!

Last edited by osso12; 4/8/12 at 06:52 PM.
Old 4/8/12, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by osso12
Your not an idiot. Thats what warrantys are for. Take it by the service department and give them a ride in your car. Maybe they can diagnose further. Good luck and let us know what it ends up being.
It is good practice to know what is wrong with a car before taking it in. Not everything is covered by warranty and warranty can be denied. It is better to go in knowing.
Old 4/8/12, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
It is good practice to know what is wrong with a car before taking it in. Not everything is covered by warranty and warranty can be denied. It is better to go in knowing.
Ok whats wrong with it?
I don't entirely agree.... what if its your wifes car and she says 'take it to the dealer because her boss 302 is making a noise'.... And your at work.....
All you have time is take it in...now what?
Noise can be the hardest to diagnose. At least when something breaks for the most part it is easier to find.
Old 4/9/12, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
I agree that would be the preferred but something like this may take getting the car up on a lift, having someone sit in the back seat while you drive, etc. Cars are more complicated today than ever and you'll see a laptop on a bench right next to the hammer. ;-) Again, ideal yes, but not always practical and remember the dealer doesn't want to deny you warranty coverage. That's money to them where as non-warranty you can take to the least expensive provider.
Old 4/2/16, 01:55 PM

Was wondering if this was ever resolved? It sounds like I'm having the same issue on my 2014 V6. It's a clicking noise that only occurs in 1st or 2nd gear and the sound emanates from underneath the car. I've taken my car in 5-6 times now and they've never been able to fix it. The most recent attempt was last week where they kept my car for 3 days and ended up replacing the purge valve. One week later I'm still having the same noise occurring.

I really don't know what to do anymore because otherwise, the car works great and I love driving it. The noise drives me crazy though because it sounds like something is wrong with the car or it's a piece of junk. I'm seriously considering selling the car at this point and it's still under warranty.
Old 4/2/16, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by NDiggy
Was wondering if this was ever resolved? It sounds like I'm having the same issue on my 2014 V6. It's a clicking noise that only occurs in 1st or 2nd gear and the sound emanates from underneath the car. I've taken my car in 5-6 times now and they've never been able to fix it. The most recent attempt was last week where they kept my car for 3 days and ended up replacing the purge valve. One week later I'm still having the same noise occurring.

I really don't know what to do anymore because otherwise, the car works great and I love driving it. The noise drives me crazy though because it sounds like something is wrong with the car or it's a piece of junk. I'm seriously considering selling the car at this point and it's still under warranty.
As some one that works in dealer ship service, have a mechanic ride with you so you can duplicate the noise to them, then go for a ride when picking up the vehicle to verify noise is gone!