Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Clones?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/13, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clones?

When will we start seeing Boss clones, or have you already? I have a negative view of clones, see them like fake Nike shoes from Korea or Cubic Zerconias. How does everyone feel about clones, hate em or are they a tribute to the greatness of the original....or, somewhere in between?

Dave
Old 1/17/13, 06:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Without the Clones, we would not have the Stormtroopers.

Regardless of Vaders iron fist, Surely the galactic Empire would have fallen.
Old 1/17/13, 07:07 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayve
When will we start seeing Boss clones, or have you already? I have a negative view of clones, see them like fake Nike shoes from Korea or Cubic Zerconias. How does everyone feel about clones, hate em or are they a tribute to the greatness of the original....or, somewhere in between?

Dave
So do you also have a negative view on Cobra "clones" as well? (Factory 5/Superformance)
Old 1/17/13, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I see all Clones as fakes.
I am not saying it is right or wrong to build one, I would never do it though. It is just not for me.

Dave
Old 1/17/13, 07:21 PM

I see all Clones as fakes.
I am not saying it is right or wrong to build one, I would never do it though. It is just not for me.

Dave
No offense but who cares? I've seen "clones" as you described that would blow the doors off OEM and look 10 times better.

By the way, brands like Roush, Saleen, and Shinoda could be considered clones. They are all aftermarket examples of the of the original concept of the 1964 Mustang.

This thread is a stick of dynamite ready to be lit. Just enjoy Mustangs as they are. Leave the superficiality elsewhere.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/17/13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 1/17/13, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

All that after you make a Star Wars reference?
I was asked a question, and gave an answer.
We all have our own opinions...I gave mine.

Dave
Old 1/17/13, 07:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
You can also call them "tribute" Mustangs. As long as some one doesnt try to pass off a copy as an original I have no problem with it. One look at the air cleaner will tell you if it is a real Boss
Old 1/17/13, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I guess that was my original question, do people view Clones as a Tribute to the original, or see them as a fake or wanna be? I looked on Ebay when I was searching for a Sunday Driver car, and each time I saw a clone, it never struck me as something I wanted. I guess I would rather have a unique GT or Saleen, than try and make a car look like another.

Dave
Old 1/17/13, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I guess that was my original question, do people view Clones as a Tribute to the original, or see them as a fake or wanna be? I looked on Ebay when I was searching for a Sunday Driver car, and each time I saw a clone, it never struck me as something I wanted. I guess I would rather have a unique GT or Saleen, than try and make a car look like another.

Dave
Agreed, spend the money for the real deal and don't try to fake it.
Old 1/17/13, 07:55 PM

"I have a negative view of clones, see them like fake Nike shoes from Korea or Cubic Zerconias."

Respectfully, you started the thread on the wrong foot. I understand you are new to the forums but look at what you wrote. (Negative)

Not to mention, the reference to Korean workers. Not everything that comes out of Korea is tinker tape junk.

Brace yourself: theres parts on your car that were made in Mexico! Shhhh!!! Lol

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/17/13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 1/17/13, 08:01 PM
GT Member

Love the Star Wars reference, but that's the geek in me!

I watch Mecum auto auctions quite a bit. You are always seeing "clones" go across the block and bringing good money. "Clone" 65 Cobras, "Clone" Shelbys, "Clone" Copo Camaros and Novas. They sure don't bring "Original" money. I'd sure like a Factory Five 427 Cobra though!

I guess the only thing that might irk me is if someone had a factory five and tried to pass it off as an original (or any other type of car for that matter).

Last edited by jaywoo; 1/17/13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 1/17/13, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jaywoo

I watch Mecum auto auctions quite a bit. You are always seeing "clones" go across the block and bringing good money. "Clone" 65 Cobras, "Clone" Shelbys, "Clone" Copo Camaros and Novas. They sure don't bring "Original" money. I'd sure like a Factory Five 427 Cobra though!
I see those clones in a entirely different light, putting boss stickers on your GT isn't the same ball game.
Old 1/17/13, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaywoo

Haha thanks. It was actually to make light of what is a touchy subject in the forums. I've seen a few heated discussions over misbadged cars, incorrect year emblems, clones, tributes, etc.

Sadly, they never end well.
Old 1/17/13, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think a car is a personal thing. Do what makes you happy. As long as you don't pass it off as an original. I wouldn't do it but appreciate the efforts of others.
Old 1/17/13, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I think a car is a personal thing. Do what makes you happy. As long as you don't pass it off as an original. I wouldn't do it but appreciate the efforts of others.
Well said. As long as you don't sell it as original then do what makes you happy. After all, were the ones footing the bill.
Old 1/17/13, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

The Korea reference is fact dude, not me picking on a nation known world wide as a leading producer of knock offs. I never brought up Korean workers, you did. My dad went to Korea in the late 80's for 10 months, USAF assignment. He bought my mom fake designer purses, me fake shoes, some cool eel skin wallets, but it was all in fun because they were cheap and we knew they were not the real deal. They were fun, and maybe that is what clone cars are.

Dave
Old 1/17/13, 08:43 PM

The Korea reference is fact dude, not me picking on a nation known world wide as a leading producer of knock offs. I never brought up Korean workers, you did. My dad went to Korea in the late 80's for 10 months, USAF assignment. He bought my mom fake designer purses, me fake shoes, some cool eel skin wallets, but it was all in fun because they were cheap and we knew they were not the real deal. They were fun, and maybe that is what clone cars are.

Dave
Koreans manufacturing counterfeit items for profit has no pertinence to American hobbyists modifying their own "personal" vehicle for recreation.

As noted, had you bought a questionable vehicle or an individual was attempting to sell a counterfeit or "replica" vehicle, then we would have advised you to first verify the VIN number. This was not the case in your original post.

The analogy was simply ill thought out, appeared derogatory, and pointless, "dude."
Old 1/17/13, 08:46 PM

In addition, "Clones" or cloning in most cases, refers to like cell structure or a similar DNA sequence. It's hard to equate the automobile example as logical because of this.

No offense again, but I believe "replica" is more in order.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Goodbye.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/17/13 at 08:48 PM.
Old 1/17/13, 08:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, it's your car, do what you want with it. The only problem I have with clones if if somebody is trying to sell a clone fraudulently as an original.
Old 1/17/13, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

The term Clone has been used for replica cars for decades. Clones are copies of the original item, hence my Korean knockoff reference. I think everyone but you probably understood my point. Did you use your dictionary to go look up Clone? Everyone here knows what it means. If you think my analogy is poorly thought out, what about your Star Wars input? Fit in how?

Clone-my definition, no dictionary needed: A copy of a car still in production, where badging is mimicked. If someone buys a V-6 Mustang from 2006 and slaps a Boss stripe and Boss logo on it, that is a clone. I think a car like this is a fake and a fraud. If you buy a Mustang and it is not a Boss and put a Boss sticker on it, it is a lie. Now, if you like some aspects of the Boss, the rims, the spoiler, the splitter, the seats, the stripes, and want to incorporate them into your GT or V-6, go for it. Just leave the Boss name off....

Tribute-again, my definition: Something like the 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones edition. I do not believe it has the Boss name on it, but it has similar striping to the car Jones drove, which was a Boss. In 2007, there were no Boss Mustangs being manufactured, and nobody is going to mistake the original Boss Mustangs for an orange Parnelli Jones "Tribute." I would also say if someone buys a new Camaro, and paints it like the original Trans Am, that would be a tribute, not a clone. They no longer make the Trans Am, and nobody will mistake the Tribute car, especially if it has a Chevy logo on it, for an original Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit.

It looks like the consensus is, if it is not being sold as an original, no harm, no foul? I can respect that opinion.

Quick Reply: Clones?