Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Bought a Boss!

Old 5/28/14, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations! I came from a '12 5.0L GT too and these things are miles beyond it! It takes all the perks you had with having a V8 Mustang to a whole new level.
Old 6/7/14, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed 3/4" plates and didn't get rid of Jake brake sound. Only lost the crackles and pops and noise. Gonna try drilling out to 7/8".
Also tried launch control twice but could only get 5 seconds. Couldn't really tell if I was shifting before 60 or not but it was still entertaining. Wish it was a little faster, but still fun although plenty of sliding around after the shift to second. First time was 5.2 with a launch at 2000 and it just bogged and almost died. Second time was 2800.

Last edited by wonger; 6/7/14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 6/7/14, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

And thank you Deysha. You helped me out with my '12 order tracking a little more than three years ago. Thanks for all your support.
Old 6/8/14, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wonger
Installed 3/4" plates and didn't get rid of Jake brake sound. Only lost the crackles and pops and noise. Gonna try drilling out to 7/8".
Also tried launch control twice but could only get 5 seconds. Couldn't really tell if I was shifting before 60 or not but it was still entertaining. Wish it was a little faster, but still fun although plenty of sliding around after the shift to second. First time was 5.2 with a launch at 2000 and it just bogged and almost died. Second time was 2800.
Opening up the side plates more will increase the 'Jake Brake' sound. If you want to reduce it, you will need to reduce the side plate opening to 1/2 or 5/8"
Old 6/9/14, 01:56 PM
Cobra Member

Almost sounds like the OP needs full blocker plates if the jake brake sound isn't what he wants. Call me crazy, but after a full year of running 3/4" plates, I took mine out and love it just the way it is. You can really keep the decibel level down if you drive low and slow around your neighbors to keep the peace, but that's up to the driver's discretion.
Old 6/9/14, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First time was 5.2 with a launch at 2000 and it just bogged and almost died. Second time was 2800.
TC on? I find it bogs in 2nd when TC is on or in Sport mode, when trying to hammer it out of 1st if your below about 2.8k, on a GT at least.
Old 6/9/14, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

You have a Boss 302R/S or GT with Trackey tune?
Old 6/10/14, 09:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
And thank you Deysha. You helped me out with my '12 order tracking a little more than three years ago. Thanks for all your support.
You're very welcome, wonger! Thank you for the kind words.

Deysha
Old 6/10/14, 07:42 PM
V6 Member

Congrats. I have an SBY as well. So far all I did was put an MGW shifter on it. I want to lower the rear end a bit but I'm afraid something else might get out of line so for now the stance stays stock.
Old 6/11/14, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I did lower my '12 with a Strano kit and bmr lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar, but I'm content with stock for now. Going to the deals gap area this weekend so we'll see how it really feels as-is. I'm probably going to leave 3/4 plates in for a while and then think about drilling them back out. I don't want to lose any more of the crackle and pop than I already did, so if the Jake brake sound isn't going away, I may as well go back to the really deep grumble. I am loving the car so far, although the drivers side B is peeling a bit at the corner. Also a bit of a grind in 3rd and a tiny bit in 5th when the tranny is cold. I take it really easy until everything is warm. I know it's been babied , so that's frustrating, but overall it's a blast.

Also found Adam's sealant and Wolfgang's fusion wax look great on the stripes. And have had no ill effects on the finish. Also look good on the black spoiler. Your car smells like licorice as well, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Last edited by wonger; 6/11/14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 6/11/14, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Super Nice. Congrats on your Boss.
Old 6/13/14, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Got a question. Had a pretty aggressive drive up and down the mountains in TN today and while driving between 3500 and 5000 for quite a while and blasting up to 90 on the straights I saw a flashing engine light but no warning and no gauges indicated anything was unusual. I was at very light throttle when I noticed it and I only saw it on for 5 seconds or so, but I wasn't paying close attention prior to noticing it. I didn't feel and misfire or pinging, but I'm still concerned. I know it was something because after that, the Lopey idle was gone. I was using the track key the entire time.
Any thoughts??
Old 6/15/14, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

Congratulations on getting the Boss. I had the same issues on mine plus the lopey ilde would quit working after hitting anything over about 4k rpm. I first noticed it when I was on the Cherohala back in '12. After several attempts to get it fixed, with Deysha's help, I ended up taking it to Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland and had them do the crank sensor o-ring tsb. A little over 500 miles since and no problems yet.
Old 6/15/14, 09:40 PM
V6 Member

here is the tsb
http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb13-06-15.pdf
Old 6/15/14, 09:41 PM
V6 Member

And a thread
https://themustangsource.com/f804/misfire-515375/
Old 6/16/14, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Love this forum. Thanks. Car ran great otherwise. I think I may have a wheel bearing, suspension bushing or engine mount acting up as well. Please bear with me but it will be next to impossible for a dealer around here to replicate , but while turning left only, I feel a lot more engine vibration in the throttle pedal during longer sweeping turns. No such vibration during left hand turns.
Anyone experience this? It's almost like a bushing is getting maxed out during hard left hand turns.
Old 6/17/14, 09:22 AM

Got a question. Had a pretty aggressive drive up and down the mountains in TN today and while driving between 3500 and 5000 for quite a while and blasting up to 90 on the straights I saw a flashing engine light but no warning and no gauges indicated anything was unusual. I was at very light throttle when I noticed it and I only saw it on for 5 seconds or so, but I wasn't paying close attention prior to noticing it. I didn't feel and misfire or pinging, but I'm still concerned. I know it was something because after that, the Lopey idle was gone. I was using the track key the entire time.
Any thoughts??
Love this forum. Thanks. Car ran great otherwise. I think I may have a wheel bearing, suspension bushing or engine mount acting up as well. Please bear with me but it will be next to impossible for a dealer around here to replicate , but while turning left only, I feel a lot more engine vibration in the throttle pedal during longer sweeping turns. No such vibration during left hand turns.
Anyone experience this? It's almost like a bushing is getting maxed out during hard left hand turns.
Be sure to bring it in and get it checked out at your dealer, wonger. Let me know what they say.

Originally Posted by 93 LX 5.0
Congratulations on getting the Boss. I had the same issues on mine plus the lopey ilde would quit working after hitting anything over about 4k rpm. I first noticed it when I was on the Cherohala back in '12. After several attempts to get it fixed, with Deysha's help, I ended up taking it to Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland and had them do the crank sensor o-ring tsb. A little over 500 miles since and no problems yet.
Thanks for the mention, 93 LX 5.0!

Deysha
Old 6/17/14, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Be sure to bring it in and get it checked out at your dealer, wonger. Let me know what they say. Thanks for the mention, 93 LX 5.0! Deysha
I will, soon. I wasn't impressed by the dealer I went to to get the oil changed and the rear diff fluid changed. I was spoiled by my previous dealer apparently. Only used 8 quarts because 'that's all it needed' level looks good. Until you let it drain, then miraculously, it was a tad low. $80 for the guy to wipe the FRESHLY polished and waxed hood and stripe down with an oily shop rag and make me too it off was great. They forgot about the diff change even though I made an appointment so I just grabbed my keys and left after watching them stumble through the oil change. Ugh. Anyone now a really good dealer somewhere around ATL? Preferably south side? I wasn't impressed by union city. Friendly, but not impressed.
Old 6/18/14, 06:20 AM

I will, soon. I wasn't impressed by the dealer I went to to get the oil changed and the rear diff fluid changed. I was spoiled by my previous dealer apparently. Only used 8 quarts because 'that's all it needed' level looks good. Until you let it drain, then miraculously, it was a tad low. $80 for the guy to wipe the FRESHLY polished and waxed hood and stripe down with an oily shop rag and make me too it off was great. They forgot about the diff change even though I made an appointment so I just grabbed my keys and left after watching them stumble through the oil change. Ugh. Anyone now a really good dealer somewhere around ATL? Preferably south side? I wasn't impressed by union city. Friendly, but not impressed.
Oh man. I can also document your experience at this dealer if you’d like, wonger. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 6/26/14, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Made the weekly highlights page on all three tail of the dragon picture sites. Here's a cool one in the pouring rain.
http://www.killboy.com/#PhotoSwipe1403834024606

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a Boss!