Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Kenwood/Maestro Solution for Ford Mustangs!

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/13, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I joined this site because of this thread. I have a couple of questions for 12v guy before I pull the trigger on one.

I have just the base GT, no nav or sync. Will everything without the factory add ons?

Does the kenwood deck wire into the OBD2 port to monitor the gauges?

Do you know what parameters it monitors? Is it everything the ECU monitors?
Do you know of a list that show what it can display on the gauges?
I know there are several DNX headunits that will work with the iData but can you recommend one over the other, I see many people says the higher end units have features that will probably not get used. I am asking because I would like to know by buying one of the less expensive units am I handicapping myself on some of the iData features?

Thanks for your advise and help with this!

Jeremy
Old 11/12/13, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by syclone50
I joined this site because of this thread. I have a couple of questions for 12v guy before I pull the trigger on one.

I have just the base GT, no nav or sync. Will everything without the factory add ons?

Does the kenwood deck wire into the OBD2 port to monitor the gauges?

Do you know what parameters it monitors? Is it everything the ECU monitors?
Do you know of a list that show what it can display on the gauges?
I know there are several DNX headunits that will work with the iData but can you recommend one over the other, I see many people says the higher end units have features that will probably not get used. I am asking because I would like to know by buying one of the less expensive units am I handicapping myself on some of the iData features?

Thanks for your advise and help with this!

Jeremy

I answered this question in a PM to you, but will repost here for benefit of others:

The MUS1 dash kit and Maestro RR module will work fine in any Mustang from 2010-2014 without factory navigation. Sync is not required.

The Maestro module connects to the OBDII port and requests a list of all supported PIDs and then builds the list of gauges that can be supported in your car from that information. So, we cannot tell you before hand what will be there and what won't. The list of gauges we can make is as follows (but remember only a subset of these will be available to you based on what codes your car supports):

1-Acceleration
2-Accelerator Pedal Position
3-Air Fuel Ratio
4-Average Fuel Economy
5-Battery Voltage
6-Boost/Vacuum
7-Dist. to Empty
8-Engine coolant Temp
9-Engine Load
10-Engine Oil Temp
11-Exhaust Gas Temp
12-External Air Temp
13-Fuel Level
14-Fuel pressure
15-Instantaneous Fuel Economy
16-Intake air Temp
17-Intake Manifold Air Pressure
18-Mass Air Flow
19-RPM
20-Throttle Plate Position
21-Timing advance
22- Torque
23- Transmission Fluid Temp
24-Vehicle Speed

As for the radio, I would personally get the DNX690 (if you prefer a ****) or the DNX890 of you prefer larger screen without ****. The DNN models are nice, but need an active hotspot to really make them rock.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11/15/13, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12v Guy
I answered this question in a PM to you, but will repost here for benefit of others: The MUS1 dash kit and Maestro RR module will work fine in any Mustang from 2010-2014 without factory navigation. Sync is not required. The Maestro module connects to the OBDII port and requests a list of all supported PIDs and then builds the list of gauges that can be supported in your car from that information. So, we cannot tell you before hand what will be there and what won't. The list of gauges we can make is as follows (but remember only a subset of these will be available to you based on what codes your car supports):
1-Acceleration
2-Accelerator Pedal Position
3-Air Fuel Ratio
4-Average Fuel Economy
5-Battery Voltage
6-Boost/Vacuum
7-Dist. to Empty
8-Engine coolant Temp
9-Engine Load
10-Engine Oil Temp
11-Exhaust Gas Temp
12-External Air Temp
13-Fuel Level
14-Fuel pressure
15-Instantaneous Fuel Economy
16-Intake air Temp
17-Intake Manifold Air Pressure
18-Mass Air Flow
19-RPM
20-Throttle Plate Position
21-Timing advance
22- Torque
23- Transmission Fluid Temp
24-Vehicle Speed

Hope this is helpful.
Do you know which of these functions/gauges are supported for the 2014 Mustang? I'm only able to select about 10 of the 24 you have listed.

Thanks

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 11/15/13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11/15/13, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Do you know which of these functions/gauges are supported for the 2014 Mustang? I'm only able to select about 10 of the 24 you have listed.

Thanks

I can only repeat myself. : )

The Maestro module connects to the OBDII port and requests a list of all supported PIDs and then builds the list of gauges that can be supported in your car from that information. So, we cannot tell you before hand what will be there and what won't. The list of gauges we can make is as follows (but remember only a subset of these will be available to you based on what codes your car supports)
Old 11/15/13, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I can only repeat myself. : ) The Maestro module connects to the OBDII port and requests a list of all supported PIDs and then builds the list of gauges that can be supported in your car from that information. So, we cannot tell you before hand what will be there and what won't. The list of gauges we can make is as follows (but remember only a subset of these will be available to you based on what codes your car supports)
I got that, but that's a very generic response... you make a kit for the Mustang I thought you may know what information you are able to pull from the OBD port.

Bottom line...do you know what info you pull from the OBD port for the 2013-2014 Mustang GT?

Thanks
Old 11/15/13, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Or are you saying that each 2013-2014 Mustang has a different set of parameters that are shared thru OBD?
Old 11/18/13, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Or are you saying that each 2013-2014 Mustang has a different set of parameters that are shared thru OBD?

Hi,

We're not trying to hide info from you! If we knew, I wouldn't have taken the time to post the generic list. There are many, many car models covered by our OBDII package and within the Mustang there are several different motor options and trims. We decided it was better to put this out than to wait until we could answer your question for every car we are covering.

Hope this is clear.

Last edited by 12v Guy; 11/18/13 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11/18/13, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi, We're not trying to hide info from you! If we knew, I wouldn't have taken the time to post the generic list. There are many, many car models covered by our OBDII package and within the Mustang there are several different motor options and trims. We decided it was better to put this out than to wait until we could answer your question for every car we are covering. Hope this is clear.
It does...and I liked your initial response better! And to clarify, I wasn't asking about every car you cover, just the 13-14 Mustang. Thanks

Last edited by EastTNMustang; 11/18/13 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11/18/13, 12:10 PM
GT Member

It does...and I liked your initial response better! And to clarify, I wasn't asking about every car you cover, just the 13-14 Mustang. Thanks

Me too, but you never know how people are gonna take my sense of humor and we are too small to have people thinking we are buttheads..

Thanks for understanding. I understood your question, but honestly we haven't made lists (even for the cars we get into) because then everyone wants to know exactly what works for THEIR car. In the end, we should know, but we don't (just being honest) and we rather people enjoy the coolness now instead of wait for us to get that info compiled.

Thanks for being kind in your response.
Old 11/20/13, 09:45 PM

Would I need to buy the maestro rr module if my mustang isn't equipped with sync?
Old 11/21/13, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Goju_Lou
Would I need to buy the maestro rr module if my mustang isn't equipped with sync?
Answered in your other thread. BTW, it's usually bad form to post the same question in multiple places.
Old 11/21/13, 11:42 AM

Thanks 12V Guy. Yea sorry I wasn't sure which one to post on so I posted on both. I'll keep your advise in mind.
Old 1/7/14, 09:53 AM

just bumping this thread to see if anyone has had theirs installed?

the kenwood dealer i was hoping to get to do my work keeps bumping my appointment or haven't ordered the needed parts... so my DNX890 is collecting dust on a shelf while i look for another installer
Old 11/22/15, 08:46 AM

Can you clarify the last paragraph in your first post?. You stated that any radio could be used for basic radio function. If I put in a different radio, say a Jensen VX 7022, how will the AC and heater controls work? Will it work through the Jensen or do you sell a different dash kit that keeps original climate controls? I obviously dont want to loose heat and AC. I assume that the full functions of that radio will work? I.E. GPS, etc? I looked on your website and it does no list a interface kit for this Jensen, only the older Jensen models. Do you have one that works with it? The Jensen is supposed to work with steering wheel controls, do I not need interface?
Old 3/1/16, 10:55 PM

Can the Maestro RR work with a 2005 Mustang and a Kenwood dnx692??? I believe there is a canH/canL in the radio wire harness and I would like to have the gauges and engine light on the radio work.

Plus I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2011-2014 steering wheel with audio controls.
Old 1/9/17, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, just finished my installed last night and love it. The only thing I'm still trying to figure out, if it's even possible, is can I use the Hands-free buttons on my steering wheel to communicate with the bluetooth functions on my Kenwood?

Car is a 2011 base with a 2013 Premium steering wheel that has been flashed to 2013 Premium As-Built data.

Everything is hooked up per the manual except I can't find a Sync module to tap the pink/red wire into (assuming I don't have this since I'm a base).

Any insight?
Old 2/5/17, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FiveLeeter
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, just finished my installed last night and love it. The only thing I'm still trying to figure out, if it's even possible, is can I use the Hands-free buttons on my steering wheel to communicate with the bluetooth functions on my Kenwood?

Car is a 2011 base with a 2013 Premium steering wheel that has been flashed to 2013 Premium As-Built data.

Everything is hooked up per the manual except I can't find a Sync module to tap the pink/red wire into (assuming I don't have this since I'm a base).

Any insight?
From memory, I believe there is another module you need to purchase to make the steering wheel controls function.