Ecoboost

What Happens When You Run 87 in the Ecoboost.

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/14, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Happens When You Run 87 in the Ecoboost.

So we've all heard how wonderful the new ecoboost Mustang is. Some of us are impressed, some of us are not. But all of us have heard that to get the "as advertised" performance form the car you have to run 93 octane. So what happens if you opt to use 87 octane?

Ford is quick to point out that those power figures are gleaned from running 93 octane, which I don't get out in California (stuck with 91-octane **** fuel), but according to an engineer I was grilling, the Ecoboost can run on 87 octane "all day long", while losing 13 percent of its power, but retaining its peak torque.
http://jalopnik.com/we-drove-the-201...a-v-1636142850

So once again my BS meter was right on the money. Use 87 octane in the ecoboost and your hp numbers drop to 270.

Epic

Fail

I wouldn't buy that thing and I sure wouldn't pay more for it over the V6. I don't know what Ford is thinking but I think this thing is going to fall on its face after a year or so. Who doesn't know that the majority of people who buy the entry level Mustang are going to use 87 in it?
Old 9/22/14, 01:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's not an entry level...the V6 is the entry level.

Also the average person doesn't give a **** about any power differences between the fuels. The average person doesn't race their car.

The average person does car about how the car drives at lower RPMs, however...which is where the Ecoboost will shine.

We get it, you don't like it...doesn't mean others won't.
Old 9/22/14, 05:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your seriously complaining about putting 91+ octane into a performance vehicle? Is this a troll thread?
Old 9/22/14, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat

Also the average person doesn't give a **** about any power differences between the fuels. The average person doesn't race their car.

The average person does car about how the car drives at lower RPMs, however...which is where the Ecoboost will shine.

We get it, you don't like it...doesn't mean others won't.
^^This^^ The vast majority of Ecoboost buyers wouldn't be able to quote the HP figures if their life depended on it. They are going to take it for a test drive and as long as it's moderately quick off the line they will buy it and be happy. They are far more interested in heated and cooled leather seats than what's under the hood.
Old 9/22/14, 09:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang
^^This^^ The vast majority of Ecoboost buyers wouldn't be able to quote the HP figures if their life depended on it. They are going to take it for a test drive and as long as it's moderately quick off the line they will buy it and be happy. They are far more interested in heated and cooled leather seats than what's under the hood.
Yup. To the average TMS member, the difference in fuel economy between the V6 and the EB4 may be insignificant. But a lot of people are going to look at the stickers on the cars and see that the EB4/manual is rated at 22/31 mpg where the V6/manual is rated at 17/28. We all know that the driver is the most important factor in the amount of fuel you actually use, but many people view those EPA numbers as an important factor when choosing what to buy.

Ford is selling many more F-150's with the EB6 than they initially expected. EcoBoost haters can denounce it all they want, but if many F-150 buyers are choosing the EB6 over the V8, it's not exactly stupid for Ford to expect that they can sell some Mustangs with a smaller Ecoboost engine.
Old 9/22/14, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Yup. To the average TMS member, the difference in fuel economy between the V6 and the EB4 may be insignificant. But a lot of people are going to look at the stickers on the cars and see that the EB4/manual is rated at 22/31 mpg where the V6/manual is rated at 17/28. We all know that the driver is the most important factor in the amount of fuel you actually use, but many people view those EPA numbers as an important factor when choosing what to buy.

Ford is selling many more F-150's with the EB6 than they initially expected. EcoBoost haters can denounce it all they want, but if many F-150 buyers are choosing the EB6 over the V8, it's not exactly stupid for Ford to expect that they can sell some Mustangs with a smaller Ecoboost engine.
Yep, and I hope the EcoBoost Mustang sells like hotcakes. If it does it means that it's selling to people that don't traditionally buy Mustangs, and that's a good thing.

I'm sick of hearing about all the ****-box Camaros out-selling the Mustang. I will never understand how somebody could buy a Camaro after test-driving it. I test-drove one 2-1/2 years ago thinking I'd leave the dealership that evening in one. I couldn't get over how ****ty the interior styling was, the horrid sight lines and feeling that I was driving a yacht. I test-drove a Mustang 4 days later and bought it that day.
Old 9/22/14, 11:01 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To get the advertised HP on the GT you have to run premium also, this isn't anything new.

I went back to my stock tune to run 87 when the gas prices spiked here, I knew I was going to have a hit to my HP. Didn't bother me a bit.

I got to drive one of these for the weekend and had a blast with it, I can't wait to see what the tuners do with this car.
Old 9/22/14, 11:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tbone004
To get the advertised HP on the GT you have to run premium also, this isn't anything new.

I went back to my stock tune to run 87 when the gas prices spiked here, I knew I was going to have a hit to my HP. Didn't bother me a bit.

I got to drive one of these for the weekend and had a blast with it, I can't wait to see what the tuners do with this car.
I'm new to all this tuning! Can someone point me to a good thread to assist me in becoming smart on them? This is my first performance vehicle and I'd like to be able to make it more badass!
Old 9/22/14, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
You all are missing the point. Order seas the fuel costs are astronomical. They will not afford the V8 or V6. Ford had to come up with the Turbo 4 to sell over there.
RandyW has it right. Most TMSers would not like anything but performance.

Heck most luxury cars over seas have manuals and diesels too.
Old 9/22/14, 12:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
Yep, and I hope the EcoBoost Mustang sells like hotcakes. If it does it means that it's selling to people that don't traditionally buy Mustangs, and that's a good thing.

I'm sick of hearing about all the ****-box Camaros out-selling the Mustang. I will never understand how somebody could buy a Camaro after test-driving it. I test-drove one 2-1/2 years ago thinking I'd leave the dealership that evening in one. I couldn't get over how ****ty the interior styling was, the horrid sight lines and feeling that I was driving a yacht. I test-drove a Mustang 4 days later and bought it that day.
A friend of the family has both a 2011 Camaro SS and a 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. Unless she is going for a top down cruise (ie..slow cruise thru the park to enjoy the nice day) she almost exclusively drives the Camaro. She insists the Camaro is just so much nicer to drive in every way. It feels bigger and heavier. Maybe that is what she likes.
Old 9/22/14, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Clue
A friend of the family has both a 2011 Camaro SS and a 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. Unless she is going for a top down cruise (ie..slow cruise thru the park to enjoy the nice day) she almost exclusively drives the Camaro. She insists the Camaro is just so much nicer to drive in every way. It feels bigger and heavier. Maybe that is what she likes.
Yeah, the thing she prefers in the Camaro is the thing I hated about it.
Old 9/22/14, 02:39 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, I forgot about the entry level V6 that you can run 87 octane in and NOT lose 40 hp unlike the ecojoke. lmao
Old 9/22/14, 02:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
Oh yeah, I forgot about the entry level V6 that you can run 87 octane in and NOT lose 40 hp unlike the ecojoke. lmao
You mean the V6 that still makes less torque, regardless of fuel used?
Old 9/22/14, 03:09 PM
Banned

You mean the V6 that still makes less torque, regardless of fuel used?
Yes that one, and despite having less torque the car still manages the same performance level as the ecojoke. Yeah that V6. lol

So the obvious question is this. If the V6 is turning in the same performance level as the ecojoke while using 87 octane, what happens when we put 87 octane in the ecojoke?

Last edited by White2010; 9/22/14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 9/22/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

To be fair, Ford spends a massive amount of money advertising the Ecoboost. Every F-150 print ad and commercial specifically promotes the Ecoboost but never mentions any other engine. Does the general public even know that the 3.7L or 5.0L is available in the F-150? If so, it's not from any effort on Ford's part.

Earlier today, I told somebody I had the V6 in my F-150. He asked me how I liked the Ecoboost. I told him I didn't have the Ecoboost, I have the base V6. Response: stunned silence. I might as well have told him that I was a bounty hunter from K-Pax looking for Kevin Spacey.
Old 9/22/14, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

But a lot of people are going to look at the stickers on the cars and see that the EB4/manual is rated at 22/31 mpg where the V6/manual is rated at 17/28.
It's amazing how far backward Ford is willing stumble in the name of the almighty Ecoboost.

Old 9/22/14, 04:59 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the Ecoboost is simply better then the V6.. The Ecoboost is going to have two main groups of customers. The first is the daily driver fuel economy type who only cares about mpg. The second group will be the performance nuts focused on the lighter four banger over the V8.

A simply fact that the V6 people are over looking is that the 3.7 vs 2.3 stock to stock is about the same performance. However.... The 3.7 vs the 2.3 with a tune is going to be night and freaking day. The EB2.3 will spank the 3.7 with a tune like crazy.

So the hypermiling mpg nuts are going to be happy and the auto cross boost junkies are going to be happy. Something the V6 is not offering either way.

FYI.. I love how the V6 guys are already cracking on the EB guys already.. If memory serves me right I called that would happen. The V6 guys that cried when the big mean V8 guys teased them now have a little motor to pick on and are jumping on it before they even hit the dealers.
Old 9/22/14, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang

A simply fact that the V6 people are over looking is that the 3.7 vs 2.3 stock to stock is about the same performance. However.... The 3.7 vs the 2.3 with a tune is going to be night and freaking day. The EB2.3 will spank the 3.7 with a tune like crazy.

LMAO

Yeah right buddy.

First it was "The ecojoke is going to get more horsepower and better mileage than the V6."

Nah. It manages only 5 more horsepower than the 2014 V6 and in order to make it look better they claim the 2015 V6 is only 300 hp. As for mpg, well it turned out to be a bunch of hype as well. A staggering 2 mpg better than the V6 on average. Doing the math reveals that driving the ecojoke and using 93 octane might save the ecojoke owners about $1.00 per fill up. Uuuuuuuu.

Then it was "The ecojoke will churn out better torque and that will equate to better performance."

Nah. Turns out the ecojoke turns in the same performance level as the V6 despite having more torque.

So now it's "But once you put a tune on the ecojoke it's going to be night and day different and spank the V6." LOL

Not only does this sound like a desperate claim but the reality is that there is absolutely not a shred of evidence to back it up given that there is not a single aftermarket company out there yet with a tune for the car. Furthermore the notion that putting a tune on a stock engine without changing any physical component of the engine is going to turn it into some sort of raging beast is laughable. In the history of tuning stock engines it has never been done nor will it ever be because you aren't really changing anything. All you're really doing is leaning the car out a bit.

And hypermiling? Really? People buy Mustangs to hypermile them? I could hypermile my V6 and get it over 30mpg with no problem. This is not why people buy Mustangs.

As someone who has owned both the GT and the V6 I have zero interest in picking on anyone for owning an ecojoke. Just because I think the motor is a joke does not mean I look down upon those who buy it. I think people should buy whatever they like, that's one of the great things about capitalism. At the same time don't think I'm going to sugar coat this thing for you. Maybe it would be better if I referred to the motor as ecohype.
Old 9/22/14, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I disagree with just about everything you say about the ecoboost, but that may be because I have read a lot about it and understand how it works from an engineering perspective.

I would much rather have the ecoboost dial back power than to self destruct over time from using lower grade fuel (87). And the torque curve on a turbo is much different than a NA engine, and torque is what gets you off the line. Usually when tuning a turbo, they raise the boost instead of leaning out the engine.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I would buy one as I know the advantages and the disadvantages of it.
Old 9/22/14, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I disagree with just about everything you say about the ecoboost, but that may be because I have read a lot about it and understand how it works from an engineering perspective.

I would much rather have the ecoboost dial back power than to self destruct over time from using lower grade fuel (87). And the torque curve on a turbo is much different than a NA engine, and torque is what gets you off the line. Usually when tuning a turbo, they raise the boost instead of leaning out the engine.

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
I would buy one as I know the advantages and the disadvantages of it.
I don't like it, and I'm not going to buy it, and I'm going to continue to discuss it. That's what people do on car forums.

You can discuss torque curves and normally aspirated vs forced induction to your hearts content. At the end of the day the ecojoke still isn't turning in noticeably better performance numbers than the V6. It would have been better if Ford had simply admitted that the 2.3 was going to offer V6 levels of mpg and performance ahead of time instead of hyping the motor to be the greatest thing since shaving cream. Add to that the fact that you have to pay more for those same performance levels and I just see a car that's not worth buying in my opinion.

Last edited by White2010; 9/22/14 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: What Happens When You Run 87 in the Ecoboost.