2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Torn on what to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/15, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn on what to buy....

I just graduated with my masters and accepted my first "real" job. Currently driving a FJ Cruiser with 80k on it, and was offered 16k on trade-in today. I do get X-Plan through my new employer, and can't decide on the V6 or Ecoboost. I have about a 15 minute commute to work and back, so the fuel mileage is basically a non-factor. I am not really interested in the premium package, currently between a V6, OR Ecoboost w/ Performance Package (non-premium). Probably in Magnetic or Silver. I did drive both today, and both drove very similar to me.

For the record: I have no idea what advice I'm looking for, but the GT is a no-go due to insurance costs for a 23 y/o male. Is the V6 a better buy for $25,100 and my trade? Got financing down to 60mo at 2.9 today, and under $200/month today. It really seems like a steal, but I am sleeping on it tonight.
Old 1/31/15, 06:12 PM

Edit: Black is also an option. But it's a daily driver, and I have a feeling the dirt would drive me crazy.
Old 1/31/15, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AUBStang
I just graduated with my masters and accepted my first "real" job. Currently driving a FJ Cruiser with 80k on it, and was offered 16k on trade-in today. I do get X-Plan through my new employer, and can't decide on the V6 or Ecoboost. I have about a 15 minute commute to work and back, so the fuel mileage is basically a non-factor. I am not really interested in the premium package, currently between a V6, OR Ecoboost w/ Performance Package (non-premium). Probably in Magnetic or Silver. I did drive both today, and both drove very similar to me.

For the record: I have no idea what advice I'm looking for, but the GT is a no-go due to insurance costs for a 23 y/o male. Is the V6 a better buy for $25,100 and my trade? Got financing down to 60mo at 2.9 today, and under $200/month today. It really seems like a steal, but I am sleeping on it tonight.
Congrats on graduating! Do you think you'll use your masters for your job? It seems like people get degrees and don't use them.

When I looked at the new Mustangs, the V6 was the cheapest between the three. I would get the V6 since it is the cheapest and you can use that money you saved for mods! Plus you'll still get good gas mileage. And you even said they drive about the same so at least you'll save some money.

Last edited by RedStang1; 1/31/15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 1/31/15, 08:05 PM

Edit: Black is also an option. But it's a daily driver, and I have a feeling the dirt would drive me crazy.
Black looks good when it's clean, but it's hard to keep clean. And when it gets dirty... it looks really dirty.
Old 1/31/15, 08:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, between the two I'd probably go EB. The one thing to note is if you use 87 in the EB you'll lose most of that extra TQ. However, a base V6 is a steal as well.
Old 2/1/15, 05:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Well, between the two I'd probably go EB. The one thing to note is if you use 87 in the EB you'll lose most of that extra TQ. However, a base V6 is a steal as well.
Lots of comments on what you lose with the EB by using low grade... but I don't remember seeing anything about whether you can get MORE out of the V6 using premium?
Old 2/1/15, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by RedStang1
Congrats on graduating! Do you think you'll use your masters for your job? It seems like people get degrees and don't use them.

When I looked at the new Mustangs, the V6 was the cheapest between the three. I would get the V6 since it is the cheapest and you can use that money you saved for mods! Plus you'll still get good gas mileage. And you even said they drive about the same so at least you'll save some money.
I sure hope so, it is an Aerospace Administration and it's with the state DOT Aeronautics Bureau. I doubt I'll ever use my thesis research again though

I am strongly leaning towards the V6. However, I saw my first ecoboost with the "wheel and stripe package" there as well, and I was a fan. I'm sure the V6 would not be stock for long though.

http://www.hardyforddallas.com/Atlan...-Car/36079324/
Old 2/1/15, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
Might be a dumb question: But does using 87 affect the fuel economy as well or just that extra TQ? Because there's only a 3 mpg difference anyways.
Old 2/1/15, 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
For a DD, get silver. Are you planning on modding? If so, you have more potential for power with the 2.3T, but better sound with the V6. And to be honest, you should price out insurance because the GT will not be much more - it's going to be high no matter which engine you choose, but your happiness can't be measured in dollars. I DD my GT and I wouldn't have it any other way, though I sometimes regret getting it over a Focus ST for a daily *family* car with my 11 month old
Old 2/1/15, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38
For a DD, get silver. Are you planning on modding? If so, you have more potential for power with the 2.3T, but better sound with the V6. And to be honest, you should price out insurance because the GT will not be much more - it's going to be high no matter which engine you choose, but your happiness can't be measured in dollars. I DD my GT and I wouldn't have it any other way, though I sometimes regret getting it over a Focus ST for a daily *family* car with my 11 month old
I have this really devious plan to pay off the V6/Eco and get a GT as soon as my insurance drops in 3ish years at 25. 23 with no wrecks or tickets, and Geico STILL rams me.
Old 2/1/15, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this really devious plan to pay off the V6/Eco and get a GT as soon as my insurance drops in 3ish years at 25. 23 with no wrecks or tickets, and Geico STILL rams me.
Don't count on your insurance dropping when you hit 25. Mine didn't, no accidents or tickets. What are they quoting you a month for the GT? Mine is about $120 a month with geico and a 2013 GT. It's been that way since I was about 23.
Old 2/1/15, 07:45 AM
GT Member

I think deep down you want the v6, so just do that lol.

But if insurance is your problem I'm 24 driving a 14 GT that I bought new and I pay $150 a month State Farm. For comparison My gf drives an elantra gt she leased (one wreck on her record) and she pays $220 Allstate. The gt isn't that bad... My payment went up 10 bucks going from a Focus ST to a Mustang GT so try to get that out of your head. I think the v6 is underrated though, and if it's a good deal and don't want to put premium in, and don't want the premium bits just do the base and mod it. It's still a pretty potent car
Old 2/1/15, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
I think deep down you want the v6, so just do that lol.

But if insurance is your problem I'm 24 driving a 14 GT that I bought new and I pay $150 a month State Farm. For comparison My gf drives an elantra gt she leased (one wreck on her record) and she pays $220 Allstate. The gt isn't that bad... My payment went up 10 bucks going from a Focus ST to a Mustang GT so try to get that out of your head. I think the v6 is underrated though, and if it's a good deal and don't want to put premium in, and don't want the premium bits just do the base and mod it. It's still a pretty potent car
Pretty sure "deep down" you are right haha. My Geico quote on the V6 is $69.07 a month due to my nice discounts (Alumni Association, and State Employee).

Edit: I just priced a GT with Geico. And it's only a few bucks more.... Time to test drive a GT today.
Old 2/1/15, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Pretty sure "deep down" you are right haha. My Geico quote on the V6 is $69.07 a month due to my nice discounts (Alumni Association, and State Employee). Edit: I just priced a GT with Geico. And it's only a few bucks more.... Time to test drive a GT today.
Atta Boy. Yearly costs for the mileage difference will be minimal. The extra $10k is real though.
Old 2/1/15, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Pretty sure "deep down" you are right haha. My Geico quote on the V6 is $69.07 a month due to my nice discounts (Alumni Association, and State Employee). Edit: I just priced a GT with Geico. And it's only a few bucks more.... Time to test drive a GT today.
Dang, must be nice! I don't get squat for my alumni association lol.

Now the real question... Will the GT be worth the extra coin? Lol if my insurance was that low I would say F it and get the GT... Coming from a GT owner anyway. Don't let anybody make you feel like the v6 isn't a good car, though. Depends on what you want and what you find "valuable". Plenty of happy 3.7 guys out there
Old 2/1/15, 01:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might be a dumb question: But does using 87 affect the fuel economy as well or just that extra TQ? Because there's only a 3 mpg difference anyways.
I think the EPA tests were done using 87, but from "hearsay" the difference is negligible.
Old 2/1/15, 02:04 PM

Looks like it's either going to be a Magnetic V6 or Ignot Silver, will post pictures as soon as I stop waffling.
Old 2/1/15, 02:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Pffft don't get silver get magnetic
Old 2/2/15, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the 8 is out, I would get the Eco Boost. I think the 6 will be the forgotten model, and if you MUST get a 6, I would wait a year until there are thousands of used V-6's to choose from, after getting traded in on the Eco.

Dave
Old 2/2/15, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As someone who's been bit by first model year issues in the past, the proven V6 seems a bit more attractive than the more expensive first year ecoboost. So that might be something to consider.

Quick Reply: Torn on what to buy....