2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

New 5.2-Liter V8 for S550 Confirmed?

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/14, 02:25 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
New 5.2-Liter V8 for S550 Confirmed?

It looks like we've gotten confirmation that the new SVT engine for the S550 will be a 5.2-liter V8.

A bit of information picked up from a Ford official parts site seems to confirm the engine spec for the higher-performance variant of the S550.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage.
Old 9/2/14, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting...
Also will this be the moment when direct injection finally makes an appearance?
Old 9/2/14, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait to see the specs... I was hoping for a larger displacement. I doubt that a 5.2 can surpass the Hatcat 707 hp unless it's SC'd or twin TT... I noticed the NA- that's typically an acronym naturally aspirated...
Old 9/2/14, 06:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Can't wait to see the specs... I was hoping for a larger displacement. I doubt that a 5.2 can surpass the Hatcat 707 hp unless it's SC'd or twin TT... I noticed the NA- that's typically an acronym naturally aspirated...
It's definitely gonna be Natrually Aspirated. GT350 was a track oriented car back in the day, as was the Z/28, which is what this car is to compete with. On a track, you don't want Forced Induction because that leads to heat soak, resulting in a lose of power.

This 5.2 engine is most likely the "voodoo" engine that was rumored a while back, with the higher displacement over the current 5.0, and a flat-plane crankshaft, which allows for quicker revving. This GT350 isn't what will compete with the Hellcat. The new SVT mustang , rumored at 750hp, will be the the Hellcat competitor.
Old 9/2/14, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
The new SVT mustang , rumored at 750hp, will be the the Hellcat competitor.
The GT350 is an SVT product. If they do another forced induction car, it won't be for 2015/6.
Old 9/2/14, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anaander

The GT350 is an SVT product. If they do another forced induction car, it won't be for 2015/6.
I know, I didn't insinuate it wasn't. I was simply differentiating between the SVT GT350 that will have the NA 5.2 "voodoo" engine, and the next FI Mustang, that has been rumored to appear in 2016. I'm guessing the GT350 will be the 2015 SVT car, and the FI SVT will be a 2016 product.

A Ford rep has stated to a CNN Producer that the next SVT mustang with forced induction will have more power than the Hellcat. I'm a firm believer of the rumors announced, seeing as the 5.0 "Coyote & Roadrunner" and 5.8 "Trinity" we're also rumors that came true. Same with the Hellcat, that was rumored before hand.

http://horsepowerkings.com/is-ford-g...p-svt-mustang/

Edit: Perhaps I should have worded my initial post differently. I only said "SVT" for the new FI mustang because I'm unsure what Ford will actually call it. Maybe GT500 or Cobra?

Last edited by KushBandit; 9/2/14 at 08:28 PM.
Old 9/2/14, 08:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I like the idea. Might be a car i could sink my teeth, er, wallet into in a couple years.
Old 9/2/14, 08:51 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Will the GT350 have a cobra badge? That's my only question. Since 93 the SVT version mustang has had the cobra. Even when it said Shelby also, it had the cobra. The snake is always the badge of the big motor. Gonna be really upsetting if the snake is gone from the big motor unless the snake is coming later with even more motor.
Old 9/3/14, 06:24 AM
GT Member

I'm excited that Ford is going this route versus just dumping some forced induction Shelby car out there to try to compete directly with the Hell Cat... I'm more of a track inspired type, and there's nothing like a high revving naturally aspirated V8! It's a purist's car, where as the step up from that will be the beast most people would want just to win the horsepower war. I would be all over the gt350 if I was in that sort of position. That's just me. I love competition between auto makers, but just like the focus st which I used to drive, they took the segment by storm not because of power, but because of driving dynamics and balance. Fun is more important to me than power... But power is pretty awesome too :P gt350 would be a serious win even with the hellcat out there
Old 9/3/14, 07:55 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Now that we know Ford has obtained the GT-350 moniker/license from Shelby American, my guess is the next FI Stang will be the GT500.. Only this time around the next GT500 won't be available thru your local Ford dealer as it was in the past, but only thru Shelby American..

Seems to make sense now that the GT-350 is being built in house at Flat Rock.. IMHO the next GT500 will be the Hellcat killer at 750+HP
Old 9/3/14, 07:59 AM

I, too, would suspect two hi-po Mustangs, whatever moniker they fly under:

GT350: Basically like an S550 Boss 302 track-rat and back-road ripper using a slightly enlarged but very breathed on version of the current 5.0, possibly including a flat crank to really sharpen up its throttle response and breathing capabilities.

"GT500:" Basically the S550 version of the current GT500 uber Stang. I would suspect a turbo'd version of the 5.0 putting out Hellcat-taming levels of power. It wouldn't even necessarily need to match/exceed the Hellcat's actual hp numbers as, being perhaps 500 lbs lighter, could trump it's hp/lb ratio with a bit less and end up with a far more dynamic car in the process.

I sometimes think, listening to those Nurburgring vids, that the two cars they're testing may in fact be two different model cars, as one has the revvy, more even exhaust note one might suspect from a flat crank 5.2 while the other seems to have the deeper, lumpier note, sometimes overlayed with turbo whistles, one would expect from some turbo'd bent-crank V8.

Having both a track-rat GT350 and a big gun but slightly more lux GT500 would certainly have historical precedence as that was the Shelby Mustang lineup from '67 through '70 and seems a logical and viable one today.

PS I noticed that scanned/captured spec sheet mentioned "PFI" for the 5.2. I would suspect that might mean Port Fuel Injection, which would be interesting in that they feel the need to make that distinction: will the 5.0 at least soon be going "DI" -- Direct Injection?

Last edited by rhumb; 9/3/14 at 08:13 AM.
Old 9/3/14, 09:29 AM

I still just don't see why you guys are begging for direct injection. Is it just because the Europeans are doing it? I see no advantage in redesigning cylinder heads and a fuel system for no apparent gain. The horsepower is great along with fuel economy on the current mustang. With this, the car runs a relatively low fuel pressure which requires lighter equipment to deliver this fuel.

This is a serious question I would like answered from a few of you. Change my mind. Why do you guys want direct injection?
Old 9/3/14, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

The Hellcat and the GT350 are two completely different cars. I don't think these will be cross shopped that much. The GT350 will be a normally aspirated wet dream coming in at least a .25 ton lower in weight than the Hellcat and will be able to turn much better.

Dave
Old 9/3/14, 10:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I still just don't see why you guys are begging for direct injection. Is it just because the Europeans are doing it? I see no advantage in redesigning cylinder heads and a fuel system for no apparent gain. The horsepower is great along with fuel economy on the current mustang. With this, the car runs a relatively low fuel pressure which requires lighter equipment to deliver this fuel.

This is a serious question I would like answered from a few of you. Change my mind. Why do you guys want direct injection?
PCars got 30-40+hp when they went to DI.

Doing this while getting better fuel economy. DI is coming..maybe not right away but very soon.

Dave
Old 9/3/14, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

The Hellcat is a pig. It needs 770 HP to beat an F250 off the line. [/hyperbole]
Old 9/3/14, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
PCars got 30-40+hp when they went to DI.

Doing this while getting better fuel economy. DI is coming..maybe not right away but very soon.

Dave

Bingo. Dave nailed it.
Higher fuel pressures, more precise fuel control allow for much higher compression which can mean more efficiency and power.

Besides, the current Coyote heads have long been noted as having a provision in the casting for direct injection. I don't believe this would require a full redesign in the case of the 5.0L...and the 5.2L would likely have all new heads anyway.
Old 9/3/14, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Higher compression than 11:1?
Old 9/3/14, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Yep, though most of the current DI engines (from all brands, including Ford), have issues with carbon buildup. If that's the case, you can keep your 1-2mpg. I already stopped caring about trying to drive like a grandma in my 14.

Last edited by laserred38; 9/3/14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 9/3/14, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by tom281

How the hell will it ever hold together without full forging and costing twice as much. I still haven't seen a good argument for DI yet. 30 more hp better fuel control. No problem with fuel control or economy right now. Sounds like you guys want to squeeze every ounce of juice from the base motor which steps into reliability. But I'm still open to a good argument.
Old 9/3/14, 11:32 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Will the GT350 have a cobra badge? That's my only question. Since 93 the SVT version mustang has had the cobra. Even when it said Shelby also, it had the cobra. The snake is always the badge of the big motor. Gonna be really upsetting if the snake is gone from the big motor unless the snake is coming later with even more motor.

Also having no snake on the car will deprive those poor souls who insist on calling every Shelby Mustang a Cobra

It would seem weird to have a GT350 or GT500 without them though.

Quick Reply: New 5.2-Liter V8 for S550 Confirmed?