2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

How fast will 2015 depreciate?

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/15, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How fast will 2015 depreciate?

I'm finally ready to buy one (v6) but i'm terrified of how fast it will depreciate. Google searches tell me that it it will depreciate ~5K the first year and 2K every year. I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years. Being only 19, my money is important to me, and I know every car will depreciate a little but seems a little to much. As much as I love the new Mustang i'm starting to think maybe it's not such a good idea
Old 2/22/15, 10:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a rough idea for the new car, I suggest looking at the lease residuals. This was shared by someone who works at a Ford dealership.

Old 2/22/15, 10:46 PM

Wow that's high but not like dodge😜
Old 2/23/15, 05:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by simon182
I'm finally ready to buy one (v6) but i'm terrified of how fast it will depreciate. Google searches tell me that it it will depreciate ~5K the first year and 2K every year. I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years. Being only 19, my money is important to me, and I know every car will depreciate a little but seems a little to much. As much as I love the new Mustang i'm starting to think maybe it's not such a good idea
To buy a car based on depreciation is silly- worried about money, then don't buy a car at all and just pay for Mass Transit. All cars depreciate but a car is an emotional purchase, it's based on practicality to a certain extent but buying a Mustang is more about a feeling than a "bottom line". If you are worried about depreciation then lease the car and get a new one every three years. If you want to own one for a long time, then by all means do so. They are great cars and not as impractical as some might lead you to believe.

Loving cars is an emotional hobby and when you look to own something like a Mustang, Camaro, Porsche, or any other - you need to look beyond finances and listen to your heart. You can afford a V6? Then by all means get one and the enjoyment you get from ownership will offset any depreciation. That enjoyment is something you'll have with you for the rest of your life and far outweighs the few more dollars this vehicle will depreciate over the coming years than another, more boring vehicle which will just get you from point A to point B.

Last edited by stam616; 2/23/15 at 05:16 AM.
Old 2/23/15, 06:37 AM
V6 Member

If you're concerned about depreciation, never buy a new car. It will actually loose value when your purchase is official. Buying a new car is a bad financial decision. But if you're a car guy, it's an easy decision to make. If you afford it without becoming car poor, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 2/23/15, 07:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cars are not an investment. Buy some ancient Civic with a ton of miles for $500 if you're worried about resale value, otherwise just get your new car and enjoy it and don't worry about how much you get back if you decide to sell.

There are almost zero cars that offer good depreciation.
Old 2/23/15, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, buying a new car is not as bad a choice as it would be if you plan on getting a new car every few years.

My last car I bought new I drove around for 5 years after paying it off and if I wanted to I could have still been driving it today. More than paid for itself.
Old 2/23/15, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stam616
To buy a car based on depreciation is silly- worried about money, then don't buy a car at all and just pay for Mass Transit. All cars depreciate but a car is an emotional purchase, it's based on practicality to a certain extent but buying a Mustang is more about a feeling than a "bottom line". If you are worried about depreciation then lease the car and get a new one every three years. If you want to own one for a long time, then by all means do so. They are great cars and not as impractical as some might lead you to believe.

Loving cars is an emotional hobby and when you look to own something like a Mustang, Camaro, Porsche, or any other - you need to look beyond finances and listen to your heart. You can afford a V6? Then by all means get one and the enjoyment you get from ownership will offset any depreciation. That enjoyment is something you'll have with you for the rest of your life and far outweighs the few more dollars this vehicle will depreciate over the coming years than another, more boring vehicle which will just get you from point A to point B.
Could not have said this better. Wise advice.
Old 2/23/15, 09:08 AM

Unfortunately used 2015 don't exist yet lol. I have no problem with it depreciating, I'm expecting that but it seems that the this Mustang will depreciate faster than others. I already have a beat up 10 year old car but it's time to replace it! I do love the car and definitely will use it for more than just a-b transportation. Thank you for posting the chart
Old 2/23/15, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by simon182
Unfortunately used 2015 don't exist yet lol. I have no problem with it depreciating, I'm expecting that but it seems that the this Mustang will depreciate faster than others. I already have a beat up 10 year old car but it's time to replace it! I do love the car and definitely will use it for more than just a-b transportation. Thank you for posting the chart
Neither that chart nor anyone else knows whether or not this mustang will depreciate more than others. There is no reason to believe it will.
Old 2/23/15, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mustangs don't hold their value particularly well. Me personally, I'd never buy a brand new one because of the deprecation. I've got a 13 premium with nav I bought with 18k for $21k out the door with taxes, fees, ect. Without incentives it was near $30k. You could get a low mileage 11+ GT for the price of a new V6. For some its worth to have a brand new one. Obviously if you really want the 15 you can only get new. I don't mind slightly used though.
Old 2/24/15, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To the OP: if you are concerned about depreciation, you should never look at new cars. Lease returns are a much better option for you- BUT- there won't be any '15 mustangs in that situation for quite some time. New cars are for those that can afford to lose some money and don't really care. Don't feel bad, most of the folks that buy new cars either don't know it, or won't admit it to themselves anyway. I know it, and don't care- this is a product of a high level of discretionary income and old age. Someday, with hard work and a little luck- you will make it there.
Old 2/24/15, 11:10 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Cars are not an investment. Buy some ancient Civic with a ton of miles for $500 if you're worried about resale value, otherwise just get your new car and enjoy it and don't worry about how much you get back if you decide to sell.

There are almost zero cars that offer good depreciation.
My sister's friend did that because, "Hondas last forever." It lasted her two weeks.
Old 2/24/15, 11:37 AM

thank you for the advice guys, also can't believe i'm so stupid but forgot to mention I get Z Plan pricing so i'll save a bit and may help so I don't lose as much when I sell later on
Old 2/24/15, 11:37 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my wife bought an audi last year and when we were leaving the showroom.. she was telling that this car is going to last her lifetime. i was like hope that never come true. i love her
Old 2/24/15, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy used if you're worried about depreciation. I know you get Z-plan pricing but even still.

Oh! And don't buy a Maserati. lol
Old 2/24/15, 04:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As others have said - don't buy new if you're worried about depreciation. Even the cars that hold the value the best - you're going to take a wash.
Old 2/24/15, 04:57 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
I totally agree and feel the same.. Therefore don't buy any new car if your so concerned about depreciation as you can always look into leasing a new Mustang rather than purchasing it.. This will also save you some money on your monthly payments and then if you decide to keep it before your 3 year lease expires ? You'll then be able to finance the the car providing of course that your remaining balance won't be higher than what the car is worth by then
Old 2/24/15, 05:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Simon, to give you an example let me tell you about my 2012 Focus.

I bought a 2012 Focus SE when they came out with the new Focus look. I loved everything about that car until the dual clutch transmission started acting up. Those early dual clutch Focus cars were notorious for transmission rattle and vibration and all in all it was just so annoying that I literally hated driving that car. So nine months after I bought it I was looking to trade it. This is a car that I paid 23 grand for. The Ford dealer where I bought mine would only offer 9 grand on a trade in. After only nine months.

The Mustang holds its resale value better than a lot of cars on the market. Other posters are correct, however, if you're buying a car for it's resale value then don't buy a new car. Cars are a terrible investment. Just because rich guys with more money than sense pay way too much money for a Mustang at Barrett Jackson doesn't mean the rest of the country works that way.

As a general rule, when you drive off the lot, consider yourself about 6 grand in the hole.
Old 2/24/15, 05:20 PM

looks like ill probably wait a bit until used ones start popping up. Thanks!! and Krohn , whats wrong with a Maserati?

Quick Reply: How fast will 2015 depreciate?