2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/14, 05:39 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?

cant wait to see if ford finally fixed their decade old 'bubbling hood hem that always blossoms into corrosion and peeling paint'.

i just scraped the blisters/corrosion off a virgin 4 mile / never test driven / only washed twice 09, and it really got my blood boiling... replaced my 06 hood years ago, the wifes 07 is being repaired now (was blistered but stable till last month), those didnt bother me- but that 09... I am simply beyond pissed off at Ford for not having corrected the crap AAI process by 05... seeing peeling 13/14 hoods, and the auto show pics I took of brand new mustangs with bubbled hems/bubbling paint underhood, just wonder if the 15 will be more of the same decade old flawed processes at AAI.

look close around the edges of the underside hood hem, if theres contaminants/bubbles/blisters, it will corrode right there eventually. my 09 had them the day it was flatbedded home, but i figured inside/covered/dry, it would be stable. nope. it was doomed the day they crimped it.
Old 9/30/14, 05:54 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Good info, I will have to check. If they are there you think Ford Warranty will fix before there is trouble? Probably not, but I will check. Let you know what I find.
Old 9/30/14, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
On the cars I saw at Flat Rock last month during the Mustang Alley tour event and the Mustang Memories show, I noticed no bubbles and seam sealer along the edges where the crimping was done.
Old 10/1/14, 04:08 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
but.....now the front fenders might have bubbles too
Old 10/1/14, 07:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by David Young
but.....now the front fenders might have bubbles too
We'll hope for the best
Old 10/1/14, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the cause of this? I've got a 2001 BMW M3 with an AL hood and have no issues at all.
Old 10/1/14, 09:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
What's the cause of this? I've got a 2001 BMW M3 with an AL hood and have no issues at all.
100% process flaws at AAI have gone on since the S197 first came out 10 yrs ago... look at the auto show pics in the 05-09 'ugh' thread... jagged edges/dirt/blisters/some that had seam sealer missed the seam... 'excuses' ive heard were 'iron contamination', E-coat boil out, Mastic boil out- whatever, ten years into it they were still doing the same, and new hoods are still bubbling/corroding under the paint.

stuff happens, but ford has ignored this/made excuses/done nothing at least thru the 2014 models... dunno if the 15 got a revised process, but doubtful- same material/facility/people.
Old 10/2/14, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
dunno if the 15 got a revised process, but doubtful- same material/facility/people.
The alloy was revised according to someone I spoke with at the plant. They are also different stampings, so obviously we won't know if this had an effect until some time passes. However, it seems as if there have been changes.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 10/2/14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10/2/14, 03:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
The alloy was revised according to someone I spoke with at the plant. They are also different stampings, so obviously we won't know if this had an affect until some time passes. However, it seems as if there have been changes.
that sounds a little promising at least...shouldnt need too much time to pass, some of the 2014 auto show cars were only a month off the line, and bubbling up.

just sure wish Ford woulda corrected this long ago, didnt bother me THAT much till having to scrape the corroded hood paint off that virgin 09... at least after losing my 06 hood I knew to watch, and caught the wifes 07 and the undriven 4 mile 09 before they blistered to the front visible edge...
just really has me bent out of shape at fords total lack of concern for ten full years. some of the cars in the 13/14 thread are horrible- the white 13 with the whole underside of the front/side blossomed up is sickening...this hood woulda been peeling to the surface in another month had the guy not noticed it...hope he gets a new hood as this one is shot almost all the way around

never shoulda happened, ten years into it and a one year old car is one of the worst ive seen, just sad that AAI put out such shoddy work for so long.

cant wait to check out a few '15s - better believe if they aint as good as they should be, I'll be sending photo albums to every VP on media.ford.coms site

Last edited by ford4v429; 10/2/14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10/2/14, 04:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My dealer warned me about mine. I have a few spots that have contaminants under the paint. They told me to keep an eye on the Hod and trunk as they still have not yet figured out how to paint aluminum. The dealer is very worried about the new F150.
Old 10/7/14, 09:14 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My dealer warned me about mine. I have a few spots that have contaminants under the paint. They told me to keep an eye on the Hod and trunk as they still have not yet figured out how to paint aluminum. The dealer is very worried about the new F150.
Their body shop should know the process for this repair, Jazzman442. I’m happy to get it escalated for you if you’d like. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 10/7/14, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer has been 'undercoating' nearly all of the new F150s under the hoods. Would this inhibit the bubbling or simply mask the problem until the hood was perforated?
Old 3/8/15, 08:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

got to see quite a few new mustangs at the Cleveland auto show yesterday, hoods definitely better than last years show- only the blue one had what looked like the old bubbling beginning, and it was at a back corner- the front seams were definitely better, didnt see any missed/holes like last year.

did see one other spot that looked/felt just like the initial bubbling on my hoods- but on a fender of a red mustang...small area, but looked just like the old hood issue before it blossomed

one thing that i really disliked- the quarter panel seams under the trunklid on the fastbacks were all nice- but on both convertibles displayed, both sides looked like bird crap, but messier. pretty obvious whoever was on the 'vert line dont care much as to what their work looks like... truly a shame they painted over that mess rather than smooth it out at least a little bit. only put a pic of the blue one, the other was too much glare, but was every bit as sloppy.

I'd rate seam/sealing/paint best this year on Scion, followed by hyundai and volvo. Ford definitely was the worst, only one I saw on display without at least a few WTF areas was a F350 duallie- obviously not from the messy F150 line, the dually was about perfect. I'll toss some aluminum F150 pics in too- boy, the bubbled up area around that bolt on that military grade aluminum fender looks/feels just like a blistering mustang hood... and the last pic with dirt/sharp edges felt a lot like the sharp areas around the hems on my mustang hoods where the corrosion started...hmm
Attached Thumbnails has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-mustang-fender-bubblingsmall.jpg   has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-mustang-hood-bubbling-only-one-yrsmall.jpg   has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-vert-seam1.jpg   has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-f150-bubblingsmall.jpg   has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-roughedges-small.jpg  

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/8/15 at 09:00 PM.
Old 3/8/15, 08:54 PM
legacy Tms Member

couple more pics of the aluminum F150- this was drivers door on a $60k King Ranch... Y shaped crack in the inner panel? Ford guy I showed it to agreed, said something along the lines of 'son of a gun, yeah its cracked...theyre still learning on this aluminum' also same area had what looked like dirt under the paint, a pinhole in the sealer...just not nice as it could and should be
Attached Thumbnails has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-king-ranch-crack-doorsmall.jpg   has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?-kingranch-dirt-pinholesmall.jpg  
Old 3/10/15, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford4v429 is right, check your seams! My 2013 Mustang hood had to get repainted twice now. The paint is once again starting to bubble up every so slightly. Your seam should be 100% completely smooth and no paint lifting or blistering. If you see blisters of any kind, the paint will eventually fall off.
Old 3/10/15, 10:26 AM
GT Member

There's no point in getting them fixed unless your dealer has splurged for an aluminum body booth in their body-shop. If they don't have it, then it's going to continue being an issue.
Old 3/10/15, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I checked all the seams prior to delivery. And,I have kept an eye on them since I always dry the inside of the hood, trunk and doors. I did notice the rubber molding on the bottom of the door seems to hold water. So I use a cloth to lift it slightly and dry under it.

So far, no indication of problem areas. All seams are clean and bubble free. after four months of winter driving. No snow, but lots of salt and salt dust on the roads after the snow.
Old 3/11/15, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Well, if it happens, there is a class action lawsuit going on in New Jersey; the lawyer for the case is looking for anyone who might have had this issue where it wasn't resolved successfully (problem came back or it was denied coverage). The case is on-going.

http://www.sommerspc.com/en/people/l....aspx?ORID=192
Old 3/15/15, 02:16 PM
legacy Tms Member

I think biggest thing is to make absolutely certain no uglies appear under the paint before the 3/36, but if they do, take it in/get pics to ford, and document... even if they deny it, when those areas fail a year later, you'll have both documentation at ford there was a warrantable issue noted, and ford denied it, causing further damage...dunno, but might be grounds to argue for a new hood, but even if not, argue for at least a 2 yr warranty on it- any body shop that wont give two years knows it will return, might assist in arguing new hood from ford... but for Gods sake, if you get a new hood, have them seal the hem before paint, and if they are willing to work with you(even if charging extra/voiding warranty) have them inject something like rustoleum inside with the hood upside down, then roll/tip it as if applying gas tank sealer, to seal the hems from the inside too- that way even if the hood has corrosion under the hem already starting, you can prevent moisture from having any further access...in my thinking thats the only/best shot these hood could ever have to survive long term. pulling ours off the wifes 07 and the undriven 4 mile 09 today to do this, then using spray basecoat/clearcoat from 'automotivetouchup.com', I used their spraycan twopart clear(neat stuff-extra plunger mixes the urethane inside the can) and base on my sons fender a couple yrs ago, looks/holds up great- LOT cheaper than from the paintshop... anyways will use that on the repaired/sealed undersides and see what happens... do have two fiberglass shaker hoods like the 06 got, just sitting there in boxes- the wifes giving me greif about putting a scoop on her car, and the 09 is still too virgin to mod- but its got a trunkload of parts ready

Last edited by ford4v429; 3/15/15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 3/16/15, 11:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For those of you experiencing problems, this is a sure cure. I first heard about it in 2005 when the Chrysler Crossfire (Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler designed body) developed rust problems along the bottom of the doors. Check out the link, and see if it is something you would try versus the dealer. You will need a bottle of touch up paint, to apply after using this product. The reported results on the Crossfire (mine never experienced rust) were a total stoppage of rust.

http://www.por15.com

Quick Reply: has anyone yet inspected their hood seams?