2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

California Emission System- No Charge??

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/15, 01:56 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Emission System- No Charge??

So I'm looking online at some 2015 Stangs from a local Missouri dealer & low & behold, I find one that really interests me GT Premium, black with the PP, Shaker 401A option & a couple other options but the 1 item on the sticker says:
California Emission System-No Charge

Anyone know what that entails?? Why would a MO dealer have one that says that?? All the other Stangs he has for sale don't. Whenever I see the words "emission system", I get nervous, normally that means, HP loss. I remember the mid 70's & those 2 words were a car enthusiasts nightmare.
Old 3/4/15, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of states have cars with California emmisions.
Old 3/4/15, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

California emissions

Originally Posted by GT40 2
A lot of states have cars with California emmisions.

Yeah, so?? I'm trying to find out what's the diff. I'm not going to buy a car off the lot with the CA Emissions even if it has the options I'm looking for unless I know what is stifled or what the difference between all the other cars & this one car is. Guess I'll have to contact Ford.
Old 3/4/15, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no idea what the difference is..so, I would suggest you google California Emissions Laws - Automobile Systems - 2015, and see what it says. Normally, those cars are destined for sale in California. I am not sure where in Missouri the dealer is located, but if he is near a military base, it may explain why he has this car. If someone is rotating to a base in California they may want one that meets the law so they can sell or trade it at a later date.

If you do contact Ford, please post their answer. It would be interesting to see what the differences are.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 3/4/15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 3/4/15, 12:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Doing a little Google search hasn't (yet) answered the original question, but CA is not the only state using CA Emissions rules.

California Emission Equipment, Required in CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NM, NY, OR, RI & VT.
Old 3/4/15, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[

[QUOTE=California Emission Equipment, Required in CA, CT, MA, MD, ME, NM, NY, OR, RI & VT.[/QUOTE]

That was interesting. I did not know other States were on board. I just found 16 States are now requiring CA standards, but they didn't list them. I did find the following information:

The state has created a number of categories for motor vehicle emissions. Even if you don't live in California, if you have a relatively new car, you've likely seen stickers somewhere on your vehicle that indicate these emissions:
LEV: Low Emission Vehicle. Every new car sold in California after 2004 must be a LEV or better.
ULEV: Ultra Low Emission Vehicle. These vehicles have 50 percent cleaner emissions than the average new car.
SULEV: Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle. These vehicles have 90 percent cleaner emissions than the average new car.
PZEV: Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. These vehicles must meet the same emission standards and as SULEV vehicles, but have zero evaporative emissions -- emissions when the fuel itself evaporates, often while the car is idling -- and a 15-year warranty.
ZEV: Zero Emission Vehicle. These vehicles have no tailpipe emissions. Cars in this category include plug-in electric cars and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

I haven't checked the car to see if any stickers are on it or our 2015 Jeep. I did notice the one category has a 15 year warranty. A lot of people don't realize the warranty on some of the emission equipment can run much longer then the regular warranty. Pays to read the manual, if you plan to keep the car longer then the new car warranty period.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 3/4/15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 3/4/15, 02:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boomer46
Yeah, so?? I'm trying to find out what's the diff. I'm not going to buy a car off the lot with the CA Emissions even if it has the options I'm looking for unless I know what is stifled or what the difference between all the other cars & this one car is. Guess I'll have to contact Ford.

It was probably a dealer trade. Someone wanted a particular car on a CA dealer's list, and they did a swap so the MO dealer could make the sale or vice-versa

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 3/4/15 at 02:09 PM.
Old 3/5/15, 12:07 AM
V6 Member

"There's nothing to worry about with the California Emissions. That just means it equipped to be sold in California. It doesn't affect the vehicle at all. "

This is the answer I got from the dealership. He doesn't say what "equipped to be sold in CA" means or what the equipment is but that's all he wrote. I think I'll just look for something else.
Old 3/6/15, 11:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think all Mustangs meet the requirements, but perhaps it's a CA requirement to state it on the sticker?
Old 3/6/15, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your worry about buying a car with CA emissions? Is not like the makes less power or anything.
Old 3/6/15, 11:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
What is your worry about buying a car with CA emissions? Is not like the makes less power or anything.
I know. And then good luck selling it later if it isn't approved in CA and so many others that link to CA. :stoopid:
Old 3/7/15, 01:17 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by newpony

Anything related to an engine with the word "emissions system" normally means something is added that takes away HP. If it says California Emissions System, No Charge, I want to know what's different about this engine from all the other Mustang engines on the lot that this one says it has California emission equipment on it. If a Ford guy that knows what he's talking about tells me there's no diff between this engine then the other engines, just has to say it on the sticker to sell in CA, I'm fine with that but if a salesman tells me, I'm still skeptical. Obviously, you weren't around in the mid-70's when all of a sudden our HP ratings were cut in half because of "emission systems" included in all new car sales. Call me paranoid but I was pissed when I wanted a new car & found out, Thx to Uncle Sam, my 350 cid Chevy Malibu had only 150 HP, when I was used to my old 65 Impala 327 with 300 HP. I bought it anyway, because I had no choice if I wanted a new car. The memory of
the vacuum sounding exhaust trying to pass a semi on a 2 lane highway w/150 HP was a white knuckled experience. Sorry but yeah, I get a little nervous when I see "California Emissions System" on a sticker.
Old 3/7/15, 11:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boomer46
I bought it anyway, because I had no choice if I wanted a new car. The memory of
the vacuum sounding exhaust trying to pass a semi on a 2 lane highway w/150 HP was a white knuckled experience. Sorry but yeah, I get a little nervous when I see "California Emissions System" on a sticker.
I'm right on the cusp of remembering, and I'd be nervous too. Not necessarily because of a drastic drop in HP, but I'd want to know.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/programs/emission-guides/

This indicated the 2015 Mustang, Mustang EB and Mustang GT seem to have both the federal and CA certs in all models.

Important to note, the CA cert lists the same levels as the federal certs which all cars have.
Attached Images