2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/15, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build Quality

This is NOT intended to be critical and certainly not to start a “flame” war. I am really enjoying my Ecoboost Premium after two weeks of ownership.

That said, it is difficult not to compare the 'Stang to the 2014 Fusion Titanium I traded. The Fusion was bullet proof: absolutely no problems and no misaligned panels over a year-and-a-half. The MSRP on the two cars was approximately the same.

The hood on my Mustang was extremely difficult to close, and there was a noticeable “dip” in the center until I adjusted the hood latch myself. (That's a story in itself.) The alignment on the sides of the hood is not great, but I can live with it. The driver's door is difficult to close, and I currently have the car at a body shop (recommended by my dealer) to see if it can be adjusted. Apparently, the alignment of the window and the rubber seal at the side of the window is the problem rather than the door latch.

My biggest complaint, however, is the seat back adjustment. The lever is difficult to reach, move, and it doesn't return to the original position when you move it. A “Premium Package” car costing north of $35K should have a motorized, memory feature. I doubt I will ever have passengers in the backseat, but the back has to be moved just to toss a backpack or computer bag behind the seat.

I hope these are “first-year” problems that will be addressed in MY 2016.
Old 6/30/15, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no issues with any panel alignment, all the gaps are consistent. The paint is flaw free.

The seat back release works fine and the seat back does return to the position it was set at. I am surprised you have an issue the seat back angle adjustment and the seat back release are divorced from each other.
Old 6/30/15, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I myself do not have a '15. I haven't had the opportunity to 'play' with one either, and unless a lottery win/new paper clip invention happens, I won't likely get one unless I rent one, I suppose.

That being said, I work at a non-Ford dealership, and we happen to have a '15 on the lot (and amazingly enough, it's still there after dang near a month?! Not real sure what's going on with it, where the other one, both 5.0s, was here about 3 days and *gone*, so... weird.)

... uh.. where was I... Oh yeah, we have it on the lot. I inspected it because new Mustang design.

I. Freakin'. Love it. Period. Orange with black interior is sexwin.

...but there's two things. First, and what I've always had a problem with the car, is the front end from the middle to the bottom chin. It juts out like Jay Leno's, and it's hella busy. I could do with a sleeker, uncluttered, raked back bottom front end, myself. Or even just uncluttered and vertical, instead of forward.

But that's kinda minor and I suppose it'd be lived with until the better front bumper/grille can be acquired by someone.

The other, most surprising thing, the one that really turns me off on the car, is the front windshield glass. No gasket. Not flush. HUGE FREAKING GAP all around it.

Very... unattractive. I would hope that someone out there like CJP or AM or LMR comes up with a gasket that can be put around it to dress it up and make it way better looking than factory. Ford should be ashamed for letting that atrocity of fit happen.

I'm sure there's some goofy 'aerodynamic' reason, but screw that. It's hideous.

Excepting those, only one of which is build/design quality, I so far find the car pretty as all get out, and so want one. But I wanna keep Awesome worse, so that's that.
Old 6/30/15, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by fusion37
My biggest complaint, however, is the seat back adjustment. The lever is difficult to reach, move, and it doesn't return to the original position when you move it. A “Premium Package” car costing north of $35K should have a motorized, memory feature. I doubt I will ever have passengers in the backseat, but the back has to be moved just to toss a backpack or computer bag behind the seat.

I hope these are “first-year” problems that will be addressed in MY 2016.
Memory seats are awesome, my wife's car has them. But after one of her friends accidentally cleared the memory it's been driving her crazy that no matter how much she tweaks it, it never feels right. I tell her it's all in her head, but that's all it takes.

As far as first-year problems...I wouldn't count on it. My '06 has panel gap problems and a few factory paint defects. Hell, one of rear quarter interior panels wasn't even popped in all the way. And the master cylinder was leaking. But at least my window didn't randomly drop like the '05s did before they disabled global windows.
Old 7/1/15, 04:02 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Only problem I've found with mine was the driver's side fender was a bit misaligned so it was too close to the front corner of the hood. I had the dealership fix that before I drove away with it.

This late in production, most of the "first year" problems are fixed if they're gonna be before 2016. It's not like they let known issues sit until the model year is done then say "Alright guys, THIS is the year we get the hood on straight!".
Old 7/1/15, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a slight problem with the drivers door alignment. But what really chaps me is the front left wheel has a chip in it from the factory and ford is refusing to fix it.
Old 7/1/15, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I myself do not have a '15. I haven't had the opportunity to 'play' with one either, and unless a lottery win/new paper clip invention happens, I won't likely get one unless I rent one, I suppose. That being said, I work at a non-Ford dealership, and we happen to have a '15 on the lot (and amazingly enough, it's still there after dang near a month?! Not real sure what's going on with it, where the other one, both 5.0s, was here about 3 days and *gone*, so... weird.) ... uh.. where was I... Oh yeah, we have it on the lot. I inspected it because new Mustang design. I. Freakin'. Love it. Period. Orange with black interior is sexwin. ...but there's two things. First, and what I've always had a problem with the car, is the front end from the middle to the bottom chin. It juts out like Jay Leno's, and it's hella busy. I could do with a sleeker, uncluttered, raked back bottom front end, myself. Or even just uncluttered and vertical, instead of forward. But that's kinda minor and I suppose it'd be lived with until the better front bumper/grille can be acquired by someone. The other, most surprising thing, the one that really turns me off on the car, is the front windshield glass. No gasket. Not flush. HUGE FREAKING GAP all around it. Very... unattractive. I would hope that someone out there like CJP or AM or LMR comes up with a gasket that can be put around it to dress it up and make it way better looking than factory. Ford should be ashamed for letting that atrocity of fit happen. I'm sure there's some goofy 'aerodynamic' reason, but screw that. It's hideous. Excepting those, only one of which is build/design quality, I so far find the car pretty as all get out, and so want one. But I wanna keep Awesome worse, so that's that.
amen brother
Old 7/2/15, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an early build (Oct '14) '15 EB Premium, and it has no problems. Almost 7000 miles, and not a rattle or squeak. As to the panel gap problems others address, I have none. Everything fits perfectly, and the hood closes easily. Door gaps are perfect and the doors close easily. The passenger seat is constantly moved as my wife puts her large camera bag on the rear seat, and it always returned to her preset position. I am not sure why this wouldn't be the norm on all the cars.

The salesman asked why I would buy an early build car when other people shy away from them. The answer was easy. A new design, and a very slow assembly line. The line was not near full speed when my car was built, consequently, the workers were not rushed, and inspections were being made to check things like panel gaps.

At least that was my thinking. We can all find something that bothers us...I wanted a HUD, but Ford cheaped out on that. Why I don't know. I have had them in three cars and really miss it as much of my driving is on Interstate.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 7/2/15 at 12:59 PM.