2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Anyone else replacing their original 2005 with a 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/14, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else replacing their original 2005 with a 2015?

I'm one of the guys who ordered a 2005, basically sight unseen, when the S197 first came out. It was my 3rd Mustang GT, after a red 1987 and a red 1995.

Now it seems like Deja Vu all over again. When I first saw pictures of the S197 on the Internet, I wasn't sure I liked the design. Same thing with the reveal of the 2015 in December. I don't love that the 2015 looks more like my 1995 than the 2005, at least it looks that way to me.

But, after months of looking at Internet pictures of the S197 it started to grow on me. And then seeing it in person totally changed my opinion. Likewise, the 2015 design is starting to grow on me the more I look at the pictures. And I'm guessing when I see it in person it's going to knock me out.

Anyway, I've had the 2005 for almost 9 years now and still love it. 75,000 miles and it's never been back to the dealer. No problems ever, and it's been both a daily driver and a track day car. I seriously considered a new one when Ford went back to the 5.0. A couple years ago I even talked to a salesman at the local dealership, and they ended up ordering a white GT manual with Brembos and red leather because I said that was the car I was thinking about, even though I insisted I wasn't ready to order one. When the car came in it was gorgeous and I was definitely tempted, but just could not justify $35K when there was nothing wrong with mine, and there just wasn't enough of a difference in the cars.

But with the 2015 total makeover, I'm ready and excited again. It'll be almost a whole year to wait, but I'm already constantly thinking about it - going back and forth with colors and options.

Who else is looking forward to trading their beloved 2005 for a 2015?
Old 1/3/14, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope! Will not buy a first model year. Which is why I have a 2006. I will be waiting a few more years also on this one. Happily still modding this one to be what I want it to be....
Old 1/3/14, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pebkac
Nope! Will not buy a first model year. Which is why I have a 2006. I will be waiting a few more years also on this one. Happily still modding this one to be what I want it to be....
Let the fanatics get the first year so they can pay the most for it. The least rebates and most MSRP because its new and all the hype. The best deals will not be the 2015. Hold out till 2016 or 17 and the deals will be rolling in. Rebates will be in full effect by then. The hype will have slowed down some back to normal levels. More talk of the SVT and Mach 1 models will gain speed and focus more on that.
Old 1/3/14, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Isn't it a bit odd the 2015 mustang v6 model will have 5 less hp and 10 less torque compared to the 11 to 14 models. The v6 is actually loosing power. I find that very strange. You would think the new v6 would be the same power or a few higher. Screwy.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 1/3/14 at 10:20 PM.
Old 1/3/14, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Let the fanatics get the first year so they can pay the most for it. The least rebates and most MSRP because its new and all the hype. The best deals will not be the 2015. Hold out till 2016 or 17 and the deals will be rolling in. Rebates will be in full effect by then. The hype will have slowed down some back to normal levels. More talk of the SVT and Mach 1 models will gain speed and focus more on that.

No doubt, everything you say is true.

I just don't want to wait. I don't regret paying MSRP for my 05 for one second.
Old 1/3/14, 10:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wjones14

No doubt, everything you say is true.

I just don't want to wait. I don't regret paying MSRP for my 05 for one second.
And thank goodness for those who don't want to wait and want it now. Get those higher prices out of the way. Lol
Old 1/4/14, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

First, this thread was really aimed at the folks who bought an '05 model new and still have it. We weren't afraid of a new model year, or paying close to MSRP for what we wanted.

Second, no one can tell the future. Will there be huge discounts on the 2016? I don't know that any more than you do. Would you have to wait until 2017 to get thousands off the MSRP? Maybe. And will the MSRP increase each year?

Again, you list very good reasons why many people will not rush to buy any car that is a new design and heavily hyped. The 2014 Corvette forums are full of the same thing.

On the other hand, does anyone doubt that the 2015 Mustang will outsell the 2011-14 Mustangs?
Old 1/4/14, 09:15 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
First, this thread was really aimed at the folks who bought an '05 model new and still have it. We weren't afraid of a new model year, or paying close to MSRP for what we wanted.

Second, no one can tell the future. Will there be huge discounts on the 2016? I don't know that any more than you do. Would you have to wait until 2017 to get thousands off the MSRP? Maybe. And will the MSRP increase each year?

Again, you list very good reasons why many people will not rush to buy any car that is a new design and heavily hyped. The 2014 Corvette forums are full of the same thing.

On the other hand, does anyone doubt that the 2015 Mustang will outsell the 2011-14 Mustangs?
It will definitely outsell the 11-14 models especially because its global sales. I think price will be a big factor for US sales. How much? I think it will depend on how many people decide to sell there current model mustangs to get the 15 model. Price price price. How much. Ford is getting people hyped up about the car but funny how price tag is not released. What's a base 4 banger or 5.0 gonna cost and that's gonna effect U.S. sales.
Old 1/4/14, 10:19 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Isn't it a bit odd the 2015 mustang v6 model will have 5 less hp and 10 less torque compared to the 11 to 14 models. The v6 is actually loosing power. I find that very strange. You would think the new v6 would be the same power or a few higher. Screwy.
Agreed. Makes no sense. Personally, I think the V6 will get a tune and bump to 315. If they do make the 4 cylinder have more than the V6 then that would be a fail.

It's like McDonald's small fries having more in them than supersize fries. Not that I eat that crap. Just sayin.
Old 1/4/14, 10:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Replacing? That'd be tough as I love my '05 and she's part of the family..............but I love the look of the '15, too, so really want to add it to the stable.

Gorgeous

Old 1/4/14, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think you have to worry as much about buying the first model year since the engines and transmissions are mostly carry covers with improvements. The 2.3 is new so that would be the only one I'd be hesitant about.
Old 1/4/14, 12:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I think your making a big mistake. The 2005 is a classic design,while the 2015 is just another generic (accord,genesis,infiniti q50-60,).At the very least you should wait a year or so,as prices are bound to fall once this poor design proves to be a poor seller!
Old 1/4/14, 12:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
I don't think you have to worry as much about buying the first model year since the engines and transmissions are mostly carry covers with improvements. The 2.3 is new so that would be the only one I'd be hesitant about.
Totally agree. The V6 and V8 have the same engines and transmissions for the past 4 models. No concerns there. The 4 banger, that's completely new. That's a craps shoot on it being so new what issues the engine will first encounter.
Old 1/4/14, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Talking To each his own!

I love my 300 hp 2005, and made a few minor modifications, but it has stayed almost completely stock. I am about to hit 22,000 miles.

I drive it to and from work, and short trips on the weekends. I don't need 500hp, nor do I need pure launch or wheel shredding stability in the rear axle, so the new model seems almost designed for what I want. My first car was a 69 Cougar. I was always rolling around with the local Mustangers because parts were interchangeable, and I wasn't a bow-tie dork. We did have a couple Mopar guys as well, but for some reason they really hated Chevys. Who knows, but my point in bringing that up, is that when the 05 came out I clearly recognized so many things about the car, down to the font on the speedo and tach.

Today, I'm ready to move a bit more modern. The new body is pretty, and does still look like a Mustang to me, so I'm good with it. The IRS, hopefully much more comfortable and well appointed interior, and a turbo 4 sound like a ton of fun. I missed out on the I4 Turbo SVO cars when they came out, and don't plan to make that mistake again.
Old 1/4/14, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
I think your making a big mistake. The 2005 is a classic design,while the 2015 is just another generic (accord,genesis,infiniti q50-60,).At the very least you should wait a year or so,as prices are bound to fall once this poor design proves to be a poor seller!
I think it will be a good seller depending on how its pricing goes. Its interesting how no pricing is released yet and Ford is waiting to drop that little bomb of information long after the hype and reviews are in. The car has clearly been revamped in every way which is great but how much will it cost. Are we looking at a high 30's bare bones base 5.0? Not saying we are but what's the cost. The mustang was always the affordable blue collar Joe the plumbers , Edward the Septa drivers kind of sports coupe pony car.

Will that still be for 2015, that remains to be seen. How much will it cost the customer to buy one?
Old 1/4/14, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Though mine is a 2006, not a 2005, to answer the op posed question ... Good God No
Old 1/4/14, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Replacing? That'd be tough as I love my '05 and she's part of the family..............but I love the look of the '15, too, so really want to add it to the stable.

Gorgeous

I totally agree, I bought my GT in September of '06 and she's paid for so I would really like to keep her. It's tempting to trade for a '15 but I know I'd regret it someday. My parents had many classics that they traded and I'd kill for some of them - '58 T-Bird, '65 big block Galaxy, '65 Mustang coupe, '68 Cougar, '71 Maverick. Wait, no the Maverick was a real POS just kidding. Couldn't put anything in the trunk near the end because it had rusted so bad everything would fall out on the road!

So I'm gonna see what the '15 looks like in person and hopefully the vert will look good because I've always wanted a GT vert. When the 5.0 came back it's been tempting but I think I'm glad I waited for the '15.
Old 1/4/14, 10:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm keeping my 05, so no.
Old 1/5/14, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Heck, I've just got a brand new 2014 (got it end of October), and I'm feeling the pull. I can resist it for a few years, but I predict starting around 2017, it will grow larger and larger in my mind... pulling me towards the new Mustang like gravity.

That'll be my excuse for jumping from a v6 to a v8 sometime before the start of the 3rd decade of the millennia.
Old 1/6/14, 02:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, Im felling like you all. I bought my 05 in 04, it is my first new car. I always bought my wife the new cars so her and the kids would be safe , while I drove POS junk. that never had AC or a wroking radio most of the time.

So when I finally was able to buy myself a new car, I looked at a Nissan 350Z, and Mazda RX-8, was really tempted by the RX-8, but one drive in the 05 Mustang, and it was love at first drive. I told myself, I would test drive he Mustang, then go back and drive the RX-8 to compare, but never did.

I got mine at X-plan pricing, which is basicly employee price, it was hard to find a dealer that would do that for me, and the saleman later told me he caught hell for it , but I picked her up Dec, she was my christmas gift. I have 98,000 miles on it ,it is my daily driver. She has some road nicks and such, but she is still as exciting to drive as when I first picked it up. 400+ horsepower sounds exciting for sure , but I get like 19-20 mpg with regular fuel and 300 hp, I know the new ones wont get that kind of gas milage around town. I have had to makes a few repairs, here and there, but nothing that bothers me.

Looking at the new 2015 car, it looks awsome to me, I like it so much better than the previous model. And the thought of keyless entry and all the cool new gadgets , my car could never have .. wow!!! It sure is tempting to think of trading in, but Ill keep mine for life, my son will get it when Im gone. I still love to look at my 05 from the rear, it just looks fast sitting there, and reminds me of the 68 Mustang I want to buy and build when I retire in a few years.

And who knows , mayber Ill work a year or two longer and buy myself a new Mustang for a retierment gift to park next to my 05 and 68, in a new shop Ill build, now wouldnt that be awsome???

Last edited by runfox; 1/6/14 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else replacing their original 2005 with a 2015?