Limited Edition 50th

50th Anniversary at my local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/14, 03:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50th Anniversary at my local dealer

Saw a White 50th Anniversary at my dealership today , nice car, its at Larry Hill ford in Cleveland tn, google it, bad news is that list is 46 is, price is 62 is, very disappointed in my local dealer.
Old 12/23/14, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just went to their page and looked at the car. Nice, but not $62K nice. Sorry. I am sure someone will pay it or they will end up "storing" it as some dealers like to do. The interior really looks no different then the non-LE cars, with the exception of the 50th notations and the color. Really not enough difference in the car itself to justify that price, LE or not, unless you are ten years old and plan to store it for 50 years
Old 12/23/14, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree and I told them so, too much mark up and I am very disappointed in them, ridiculous that they ignore MSRP for their own gain.
Old 12/23/14, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Imagine the markup on the upcoming GT350. Its going to push 80k.
Old 12/23/14, 09:35 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just went to their page and looked at the car. Nice, but not $62K nice. Sorry. I am sure someone will pay it or they will end up "storing" it as some dealers like to do. The interior really looks no different then the non-LE cars, with the exception of the 50th notations and the color. Really not enough difference in the car itself to justify that price, LE or not, unless you are ten years old and plan to store it for 50 years
My local dealership recently sold one for 52k at 10k above MSRP and IMO that's even too much as far as I'm concerned
Old 12/23/14, 09:41 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by GT40 2
Imagine the markup on the upcoming GT350. Its going to push 80k.
I don't think it'll be quite that high, as 80k is pushing GT500 territory, but more around 60-65k after ADM markup
Old 12/23/14, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I agree and I told them so, too much mark up and I am very disappointed in them, ridiculous that they ignore MSRP for their own gain.
I know it's personally galling to you, but... let us scenario this a little.

They sell the car to whomever (you maybe) for list.

YOU turn around and sell it to some guy because he offered you more than you paid for, 'cause hey, profit and you can get another one, right?

Now that guy? He wanted it to SELL IT. He didn't want it for him. He's already got a buyer, and you have the car. He's a middle man. He's going to sell it to the desperate buyer for $65K.

Or maybe he's the one who bought it from the dealer at list, and then sells it for the extra profit.

And yes, this has happened. Over and over.

Dealerships know they can *ask* anything for the price of the car. Just as much as you can go in and *ask* for lower than the list price for any car on the lot (and sometimes get it down there too.)

But since they also know of the game above, they figure "why lose that money if it's there to be had?"

If you want the car that bad, you'll pay.

And I'm going to let you in on a secret...

If *I* had millions in the bank, and could throw $65K to add that pony to my collection?

Hell, it wouldn't be on the showroom floor. It likely wouldn't have even GOT to the showroom floor. That's freakin' *cheap* for a limited edition, one of 1964 cars..

...although, to be honest, I'd also have a blue one. And I wouldn't blink twice about the money, because I have it to burn.

Or, at least, if I had millions.

That's what the car's priced for. Jerks like me who want it worse than the average Joe. And/or the owner doesn't really want it to sell, so they stick the mark up to ensure that it brings in the lookieloos who might buy a Fusion instead, but hey, if someone wants it.... there it is, pay up.

You might be disappointed.. but if they sell it for that markup, they were right all along, weren't they?
Old 12/26/14, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw a WW 50th at a local dealership with $15K ADM today.

Business is business. I hope they get it.
Old 12/26/14, 11:31 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
My dealership has one with NO markup $47,000! :-)
Old 12/27/14, 05:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really believe that anyone who buys the LE and thinks it will go up in value in the future is wrong. I think anything being made nowadays that is marketed as a collectable won't have and future value. Cars or other collectables from the past are worth sometimes a lot of money because people back than didn't look at thinks for future collectablity. And so few cars survived the 50's and 60's. Now you'll have a lot of people buying these cars and storing them and in 20 years or so there will be a flood of them on the market. The value is in how rare they are. 1964 is now really a limited number. Now if they made say 64 models it might be a different story. And if a dealer wants to sell it for higher than MSRP, it's his car to do so with. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it. And now I don't work for a dealer, and actually don't care for them very much. But we do live in a capitalist society, and the dealers will ask what they feel they'll get for it.
Old 12/27/14, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

CJ's weren't dealer marked up that much and there are 50 a year.

And they will hold their value and go up.

Badges and different colors? Will it be worth more than a standard gt? Yea. A lot more? No
Old 12/27/14, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I definitely understand that business is business, my issue with this markup is it excessive and this dealer has previously implied that they do not mark up vehicles, so now because they have no 1388 of 1964 in a COSMETIC package 50th Anni vehicle they go where greedy dealers go and mark it up, not a little but ALOT.
I disagree with the if I had millions of dollars theory, that I would buy two of these, no I doubt I would buy one because the value is simply not there, its a cosmetic package that may or may not increase in value, and it will take 20 years for that to happen, which is simply a bad investment.

I know have strong doubts about purchasing from this dealer due to this obvious gouge of the consumer, and I am that way with any dealer that relies on
ADM to produce profit.
Hope they sell it but not to me.
Old 12/27/14, 07:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally can't justify the extra cost of the 50th edition when I could just get the regular GT with the 50th appearance package for a lot cheaper in a color I actually like. Maybe if I had the extra dough. All the 2015s are 50th year mustangs anyways...
Old 12/27/14, 08:04 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
I saw a WW 50th at a local dealership with $15K ADM today.

Business is business. I hope they get it.
I disagree. Being a greedy bastard is not good business. Its just being a greedy bastard. ****ing shakedown artists.

There should be no premium above and beyond Ford's MSRP. They set the price at the factory to cover costs of materials, labor, and overhead, along with reasonable profit to F incl dividends to shareholders/owners, with a reasonable profit for the retailer.
Old 12/27/14, 08:54 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
There should be no premium above and beyond Ford's MSRP.

I would only agree with this statement only if you also said "there should be no discount below Ford's MSRP, either."

But, as long as customers flood into dealerships nationwide every day expecting dealers to discount 99% of the vehicles many thousands below MSRP, then I believe that dealers should be able to sell hot commodities above MSRP to help balance out the equation a bit.

In an ideal world, every car would sell at MSRP - no surcharges and no discounts. Us dealers would make waaaaay more money than the current system. Anyone on board with MSRP for everything?
Old 12/27/14, 09:08 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I would only agree with this statement only if you also said "there should be no discount below Ford's MSRP, either."

But, as long as customers flood into dealerships nationwide every day expecting dealers to discount 99% of the vehicles many thousands below MSRP, then I believe that dealers should be able to sell hot commodities above MSRP to help balance out the equation a bit.

In an ideal world, every car would sell at MSRP - no surcharges and no discounts. Us dealers would make waaaaay more money than the current system. Anyone on board with MSRP for everything?
It would make car buying so simple if every dealer charged MSRP. But that'll never happen. The industry is so cutthroat from what I see. I do however believe that a dealer should be able to charge whatever they want for any car. It's not gouging charging extra for any car. If you don't like it simply go to another dealer. Again I don't work for or know anyone who works for a dealer, I'm just saying in the capitalist society we live in that's the way it works. A $40,000 car is a luxury for just about anyone and not one of life's essentials.
Old 12/27/14, 09:26 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

So you're saying that Ford hasn't factored in x-plan, promo pricing, special financing, competition, etc., before they set MSRP?? You don't think the bean counters haven't taken all of that into consideration?? Profit is made across the entire line, from total volume, for the year. Only greedy bastards try to cover their payroll on one sale, and they earn the reputation they have from consumers.

Disappointing Brian.

I was in sales for 30 years and corporate pricing took all of that into consideration before they released quality/pricing, commissions/bonuses, to the sales force. Worked for companies both decades old, and a century old, and they would not still be in business if they had not factored in reasonable profits over all their costs - including discounts and promo pricing - as well as competition in the marketplace.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/27/14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12/27/14, 10:03 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
It would make car buying so simple if every dealer charged MSRP. But that'll never happen. The industry is so cutthroat from what I see. I do however believe that a dealer should be able to charge whatever they want for any car. It's not gouging charging extra for any car. If you don't like it simply go to another dealer. Again I don't work for or know anyone who works for a dealer, I'm just saying in the capitalist society we live in that's the way it works. A $40,000 car is a luxury for just about anyone and not one of life's essentials.
Do they haggle with you at a restaurant? Do they try and gouge you at Home Depot if you're an unsuspecting customer? How about at the grocery store? How about franchises like McDonald's or Outback? Does Amazon run a "go in high and watch em buy" business? Do you get to "chew down your pricing" at your insurance company, or your electric company? No.

The American free enterprise system is not a barter system. A "capitalist society" is not about "gouge everyone you can!". That's what the 99 whiner communist/anarchists want you to think. In most all industries, corporate sets the price. Capitalism, free enterprise, means COMPETING to innovate and create the better mouse trap, to offer the best product at the best price in the marketplace to the consumer. Throw in great service and you've got a built in repeat customer. Pricing at reasonable competitive levels yields growth, and its the growth the drives profit. Look at Walmart or Costco. There are countless outstanding success stories in the free enterprise system that did not operate on the hack auto sales industry "gouge model". It's all about the customer first model - not "How much did we make on that unit?".

The auto business is one of but a handful of industries where the sales people are encouraged to screw the customer for all they can get. Then they high five in the break room for "really stickin him!" "Got me a sucker!"

Every company I sold for, large and small - like most companies in America - corporate set the price, set the volume discounts, determined the sales promotions (typically with bonus commissions), with cost of goods, overhead, profits built into that price. During their promotions/sales, they still had a profit factored in plus garnered increased profits from the added volume during that sale. That's why they run sales.

I simply would never work as a car salesman under their present "gouge model".
Old 12/27/14, 10:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Do they haggle with you at a restaurant? Do they try and gouge you at Home Depot if you're an unsuspecting customer? How about at the grocery store? How about franchises like McDonald's or Outback? Does Amazon run a "go in high and watch em buy" business? Do you get to "chew down your pricing" at your insurance company, or your electric company? No. The American free enterprise system is not a barter system. A "capitalist society" is not about "gouge everyone you can!". That's what the 99 whiner communist/anarchists want you to think. In most all industries, corporate sets the price. Capitalism, free enterprise, means COMPETING to innovate and create the better mouse trap, to offer the best product at the best price in the marketplace to the consumer. Throw in great service and you've got a built in repeat customer. Pricing at reasonable competitive levels yields growth, and its the growth the drives profit. Look at Walmart or Costco. There are countless outstanding success stories in the free enterprise system that did not operate on the hack auto sales industry "gouge model". It's all about the customer first model - not "How much did we make on that unit?". The auto business is one of but a handful of industries where the sales people are encouraged to screw the customer for all they can get. Then they high five in the break room for "really stickin him!" "Got me a sucker!" Every company I sold for, large and small - like most companies in America - corporate set the price, set the volume discounts, determined the sales promotions (typically with bonus commissions), with cost of goods, overhead, profits built into that price. During their promotions/sales, they still had a profit factored in plus garnered increased profits from the added volume during that sale. That's why they run sales. I simply would never work as a car salesman under their present "gouge model".
Brian's dealership does not operate that way. And after working in sales *and* service at Tesla, the "set price" is nice, but 9/10 times the customers still asked for a discount. And those are people who live in multi million dollar houses, who clearly aren't hurting for money. Simply, people are cheap bastards and "corporate" companies are ran by greedy bastards, so it all goes hand in hand.

Not disagreeing with you though, just pointing out a couple facts.

That's why I try to support local, small businesses, and if I can't support local business, I'll support smaller business across the US as much as I can.
Old 12/27/14, 11:00 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by laserred38
Brian's dealership does not operate that way. And after working in sales *and* service at Tesla, the "set price" is nice, but 9/10 times the customers still asked for a discount. And those are people who live in multi million dollar houses, who clearly aren't hurting for money. Simply, people are cheap bastards and "corporate" companies are ran by greedy bastards, so it all goes hand in hand.

Not disagreeing with you though, just pointing out a couple facts.

That's why I try to support local, small businesses, and if I can't support local business, I'll support smaller business across the US as much as I can.
I would say that your example is due to the auto business. The industry set the model (which I believe is broken - hence the massive failures a few years ago, and the decades long/ongoing mistrust by consumers) and so no doubt customers asked Tesla for a discount. Customers are conditioned after being screwed so often by a large number (not all) of car hacks. Before GM took over Saturn, they also used the fixed price model, and it was a pleasurable experience.

A customer being frugal is not being cheap, nor is a company (small business or large corporation) greedy for factoring in a reasonable profit. The transaction should be win-win.

Quick Reply: 50th Anniversary at my local dealer