2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

4-Cylinder Mustang for Europe only?

Old 3/6/13, 12:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Post 4-Cylinder Mustang for Europe only?

Just so long as we also get the V8...........

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/0...comment-158003

Rumors of a four-cylinder engine making a return to the Mustang lineup for 2015 have been around for well over a year, with the smaller, turbocharged engine thought to be a solution for more efficiency-minded buyers. Of course, the smaller engine wouldn’t necessarily be lacking in power either, with reports that a 2.3-liter four-cylinder could produce upwards of 300 horsepower. We’ve always assumed, as have others, that the four-cylinder will be offered in the United States, but now Edmunds.com is reporting that it could be a European-only option after talking to Ford executives at the Geneva Motor Show.

“The four-cylinder engine is not expected to be offered to Mustang buyers in the U.S. The small four-cylinder engine will be offered to European buyers as a more economical, low-emission alternative to the V8 engine in the Mustang, which is likely to be highly taxed in Europe,” reports the web site. “The four-cylinder engine in the European Mustang is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.”

Additionally, Edmunds.com reports that European buyers will have the option of a V8, although previous reports have indicated otherwise.
Old 3/6/13, 04:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I told you Europe would have the option of getting the V8, if you're willing to pay for it.
Old 3/7/13, 08:33 AM

Yeah, a Mustang without some sort of V8 option simply is not a Mustang. Ford tried that for a year or so with the Mustang II -- figuring that car was all about surface flash, glitz and luxury anyways -- but got roundly bashed and quickly shoehorned a 302, even if wheezing out some 132hp or so, back into that little turd.

Then in the early '80s, the sole V8 option was some miserable 255ci or something that made the Mustang II's asthmatic 302 seem like a thundering big block, all so they could say they were offering a V8, regardless of how pathetic it actually was. Luckily, Ford soon again offered the 302 in the '82 GT but with a proper tune that basically sparked off the performance renaissance that were still enjoying today.

I guess the problem with offering it in the U.S. is the 3.7 V6 which would offer similar hard numbers if with a bit more refinement and music. I could see Ford keeping a smaller Egoboost four up their sleeve should they really need to start ecking out that last mpg, perhaps the 250hp class 2.0 out of the Fiesta ST so as not to step on the 3.7's toes.
Old 3/7/13, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I never thought of that for some reason, but it seems reasonable to only have the EB4 over there, while retaining the 3.7 here as the base engine. Then they still have a fully tested option if gas prices get out of control and panic sets in over here in a few years time.

I could see them testing the waters with an SVO type special edition over here as well before bringing it over just to be on the safe side.
Old 3/8/13, 07:34 PM
GT Member

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...d=1459_7246696
Old 3/8/13, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
How interesting. I have been trying to figure out how they can position the I4 Turbo with the 3.7 still around and still cant wrap my head around it. The 3.7 has proven itself as a very solid engine with good mileage to boot. I have followed the Ford Eco boost engines pretty close. I dont want to be a stick in the mud but they deliver say V8 power in a V6 but they get V8 fuel economy with complexity to go with it. The 2.0 turbo is a good example. It delivers V6 power and V6 fuel economy from my observation.

Whats the point of an I4 turbo (other than weight savings) over the 3.7? What is the realistic hp here?
Old 3/9/13, 02:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
It's all a guessing game, isn't it?

Will Europe only get 4 and 8 cylinders?

Will the UK get RHD?

Will the US get 4, 6 and 8?

Will the 4-pot be entry level or a new "SVO"?

It's enough to make my head hurt
Old 3/9/13, 05:51 AM
GT Member

http://www.torquenews.com/106/turboc...st-europe-only

According to this article. The Mustang will be a niche product.
The 2015 Ford Mustang will likely be a fairly low volume vehicle in Europe and the hefty taxes applied to the 420+ horsepower 5.0L V8 will drive up the already high suggested retail price from the manufacturer. However, for those European buyers who want the clout associated with driving the legendary Mustang in their homeland without the high taxes that come with the high performance V8 – the EcoBoost 4-cylinder should offer plenty of fun to drive factor with a lower price out the door. This should help the Mustang’s popularity with those buying on a budget – although we can expect that even the EcoBoosted 2015 Mustang will still carry a considerably larger price tag in Europe than it will in the US.
I guess UK will get the LHD cars too? Like the Camaro for sale in UK. In Japan- LHD Mustang is offered officially at Ford Dealership.
Old 3/9/13, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the 2.3T option for the US!!!! New age 2.3T in a Fox for my kid would be a cool build.... Hopefully this will be pretty easy swap! Motor and trans... Dibbs on the first wrecked 4 banger. :-)
Old 3/9/13, 08:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
This is exactly what I've been saying all along. The EB engines have been options. Not standard. And it wouldn't make sense for rental fleets. Heck, they might even keep the V6 *just* for rental fleets, but the EB engine will not be standard.
Old 3/9/13, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im not getting it. Why would I pay more for a I4 turbo over the 3.7?

I almost wonder sometimes if these "leaks" are done intentionally by Ford.
Old 3/9/13, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I for one would like a turbo 4 over a N/A v6. With a tune you could gain 50hp that's way more power per dollar than a na v6.
Old 3/9/13, 11:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Z.r.q Othman

I guess UK will get the LHD cars too? Like the Camaro for sale in UK. In Japan- LHD Mustang is offered officially at Ford Dealership.
Yeah LHD has been (more or less?) confirmed. As for niche product, it more or less is here too!
Old 3/9/13, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If an EB4 and the 3.7 make about the same hp and the EB4 makes a little better fuel economy but at a higher purchase price, it doesn't make much sense to offer both. In Europe where the gas price is typically twice what it is in the U.S., the EB4 makes sense for the base engine, while offering the V8 for those who can afford it. In the U.S., I think Ford would be more likely to skip the EB4, unless the long-term plan is to phase out the 3.7 altogether.
Old 3/9/13, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
If an EB4 and the 3.7 make about the same hp and the EB4 makes a little better fuel economy but at a higher purchase price, it doesn't make much sense to offer both. In Europe where the gas price is typically twice what it is in the U.S., the EB4 makes sense for the base engine, while offering the V8 for those who can afford it. In the U.S., I think Ford would be more likely to skip the EB4, unless the long-term plan is to phase out the 3.7 altogether.
You could see content changes being different - i.e. 2.73s standard with V6 and no optional gear, 3.31 standard with EB 4, 3.73s optional on Performance Package or something like that...
Old 3/9/13, 11:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It will be a niche product, with ridiculous taxes each country has in Europe, and the gas prices, the V8 will be only obtainable by the rich, while here in US, a middle class man with enough will power can have one. ( for now....)

This will be very interesting when the car gets released and reviews and opinions of V4-V6 cylinder cars, by Europeans start to show up.
Old 3/10/13, 09:18 AM
V6 Member

Hah leave it up to the auto 'journalists' to completely contradict each other. One of these guys is talking out of his a$$. There's little accountability at these mags IMO. If you go back into the history of their rumors and speculations that they pass off as 'fact' it's a terrible track record of being right.
Old 3/10/13, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Z.r.q Othman

Yea any American muscle car will be a niche product in Europe. As they are in the Middle East and Asia too. It may take generations of being offered there through regular (and large) retail channels to ever result in significant sales numbers.
Old 3/11/13, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Mach1
Im not getting it. Why would I pay more for a I4 turbo over the 3.7?

I almost wonder sometimes if these "leaks" are done intentionally by Ford.
Ford charges almost $2,000 more to go from the V6 to the 2.0 Ecoboost in the Explorer. Even though the Ecoboost makes less power and lowers the towing capacity significantly. However, MPG is far more important to some people than HP.

I would guess there are fewer of those people in the Mustang market than there are in the Explorer market, though.
Old 3/11/13, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang
However, MPG is far more important to some people than HP.

I would guess there are fewer of those people in the Mustang market than there are in the Explorer market, though.
Of course. As evidenced by the fact that the v6 and v8 still reigned in popularity over the turbo 4 back in the SVO days. If we see gas prices continue to climb to anywhere close to Europe levels, that may soon change though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4-Cylinder Mustang for Europe only?