2015 Mustang pricing questions? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Go Back   > >

2015 - Next Generation Discuss the Next Generation -- the 50th Anniversary Ford Mustang!!

2015 Mustang pricing questions?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2/18/13, 12:33 PM   #1
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Free Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 8, 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question 2015 Mustang pricing questions?

A couple of 2015 pricing questions that I'd like to know your opinions on.

1. Should we expect pricing similar to 2014 prices? Or is there going to be a bump with the new platform. If so, how much do you think?

2. If the 2015 goes on sale in April of 2014, should we expect rampant dealer markups on those first ones to hit the lots? (I'm in a discussion with another person on another forum over this one)

3. Could one expect to buy a 2015 Mustang GT at MSRP right from the start in April of 2014?

4. If there are dealer markups on the first ones, would it be reasonable to expect to get a GT at MSRP or less 3 months after the release, say July of '14?

Thanks all. Let me know what you think and I'd love to know what happened when the 2010's came out and even the 2005's as that would be a closer comparison I think.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Old 2/18/13, 01:38 PM   #2
Fist of the North Star
TMS Staff
 
Boomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 30, 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes.....
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 02:59 PM   #3
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Free Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 8, 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
yes.....


Any real thoughts?
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 03:27 PM   #4
FR500 Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post


Any real thoughts?

Actually, I think "yes" answers just about all of your questions, except how much more the cost will be for the new car.

If you look back to the release of the 2005, prices were probably about (on average) somewhere in the $3000 neighborhood, depending on the trim and option levels.

The update in 2010 did not generate big increases ($800-$1000) because the drivetrains and base platform were the same as 2009. The update to new powertrains in 2001 were in the neighborhood or about $1800.

If I were to guess, I think a GT premium coupe would be around $36,000 (the MSRP for the 2013, again a year for a slight styling revision, was about $34000) but I could be way off on that guess.

I would expect a cost increase just to keep up with inflation, even if nothing changed.
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:00 PM   #5
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Free Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 8, 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Actually, I think "yes" answers just about all of your questions, except how much more the cost will be for the new car.

If you look back to the release of the 2005, prices were probably about (on average) somewhere in the $3000 neighborhood, depending on the trim and option levels.

The update in 2010 did not generate big increases ($800-$1000) because the drivetrains and base platform were the same as 2009. The update to new powertrains in 2001 were in the neighborhood or about $1800.

If I were to guess, I think a GT premium coupe would be around $36,000 (the MSRP for the 2013, again a year for a slight styling revision, was about $34000) but I could be way off on that guess.

I would expect a cost increase just to keep up with inflation, even if nothing changed.
Thanks for the response. I figured Boomer probably meant yes to all, hence the winking smiley in there. Sometimes you can't tell on the interwebz though.

How about dealer price gouging? Was it rampant in 2005 I wonder? I can see "market adjustment" on top end models like the GT500 or Boss302 but when it comes to the GT with so many produced I just don't see how a dealer can gouge when you can head over to the next dealer for a better deal. I'm used to GM dealers doing this a lot with limited models so I'm wondering how Ford does it.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:26 PM   #6
V6 Member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2012
Location: Starke, FL
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
prices go up regardless of a redesign, the MSRP will factor on what the cost of the technology being brought into the car will be (R+D and Build cost) among other things.

as far as dealer mark up it will come down to the usual supply and demand reaction.
if Ford has a better than expected reception of the new model there may very well be a shortage of them as a whole, or depending on how Ford's CAFE numbers are doing it's possible they may be forced to limit production on GT/SE cars..

A turbo four may keep base prices around $20K, but I wouldn't expect a GT to be much less than $35K, seems like after they get optioned up most of them tip the $40K scale pretty easily already..
B-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:37 PM   #7
FR500 Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
How about dealer price gouging? Was it rampant in 2005 I wonder? I can see "market adjustment" on top end models like the GT500 or Boss302 but when it comes to the GT with so many produced I just don't see how a dealer can gouge when you can head over to the next dealer for a better deal. I'm used to GM dealers doing this a lot with limited models so I'm wondering how Ford does it.
In 2004 when the 2005s were introduced, there were dealers who marked up GTs - you can go back and find threads in this forum to that effect. And as I am sure you well know, any in-demand car, regardless of the manufacturer, could be marked up by a dealership.

The early allocations and production volumes are going to likely dictate how much and how long this might occur. After a 6-9 month period, I would expect it to settle down, unless the economy takes a dive.

I also project 2015 GTs will be hot for awhile, unless the next specialty Mustang is introduced in the same time frame. The GT500 didn't come until 2 model years into this generation of Mustang production.
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:43 PM   #8
Mach 1 Member
 
Fords4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 13, 2004
Posts: 930
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Actually, I think "yes" answers just about all of your questions, except how much more the cost will be for the new car.

If you look back to the release of the 2005, prices were probably about (on average) somewhere in the $3000 neighborhood, depending on the trim and option levels.
Did you mean $30,000? Or $3K increase?

My 2006 GT Premium with side airbags sticker'ed at $27,000
Fords4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:47 PM   #9
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Free Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 8, 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Fox View Post
prices go up regardless of a redesign, the MSRP will factor on what the cost of the technology being brought into the car will be (R+D and Build cost) among other things.

as far as dealer mark up it will come down to the usual supply and demand reaction.
if Ford has a better than expected reception of the new model there may very well be a shortage of them as a whole, or depending on how Ford's CAFE numbers are doing it's possible they may be forced to limit production on GT/SE cars..

A turbo four may keep base prices around $20K, but I wouldn't expect a GT to be much less than $35K, seems like after they get optioned up most of them tip the $40K scale pretty easily already..
Good points. I am expecting an increase in GT price, just wondering if it would be 1, 2 or 3K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
In 2004 when the 2005s were introduced, there were dealers who marked up GTs - you can go back and find threads in this forum to that effect. And as I am sure you well know, any in-demand car, regardless of the manufacturer, could be marked up by a dealership.

The early allocations and production volumes are going to likely dictate how much and how long this might occur. After a 6-9 month period, I would expect it to settle down, unless the economy takes a dive.

I also project 2015 GTs will be hot for awhile, unless the next specialty Mustang is introduced in the same time frame. The GT500 didn't come until 2 model years into this generation of Mustang production.
Thanks, I'll have to dig back a bit it looks to find some first hand accounts. I'm looking in the March to August timeframe of 2014. Maybe I'll have some luck towards the end of that period. What I'd like to do is order for the options I want and hopefully pay MSRP or a hair under if I could haggle it. Sounds like it might be a challenge during that time period.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:47 PM   #10
FR500 Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever View Post
Did you mean $30,000? Or $3K increase?

My 2006 GT Premium with side airbags sticker'ed at $27,000
$3000 increase...if I remember correctly, a 2004 GT in the upper trim was around $24,000 MSRP. Of course, they could be had for less because those cool 2005s were coming.
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/18/13, 06:51 PM   #11
FR500 Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
I'm looking in the March to August timeframe of 2014. Maybe I'll have some luck towards the end of that period. What I'd like to do is order for the options I want and hopefully pay MSRP or a hair under if I could haggle it. Sounds like it might be a challenge during that time period.
It possibly could be, again depending on production volumes. Some of the friends in the Detroit, MI metro area recommended I order from one of the area dealers, since they would be more likely to sell on Ford's discount pricing plans (X-plan), even when it is earlier in the model run.
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 02:26 PM   #12
Team Mustang Source
 
bpmurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 13, 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 2,839
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This time around the Mustang has to be careful about too much of a price increase. It's starting to slip out of the target demographics price range.
bpmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 03:09 PM   #13
Fist of the North Star
TMS Staff
 
Boomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 30, 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So is everything.
Costs keep going up.
Wages...not so much
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 04:56 PM   #14
Mach 1 Member
 
Fords4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 13, 2004
Posts: 930
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
$3000 increase...if I remember correctly, a 2004 GT in the upper trim was around $24,000 MSRP. Of course, they could be had for less because those cool 2005s were coming.
2004 GT Premium Coupe - $24,845 MSRP
2005 GT Premium Coupe - $26,320MSRP

$1475 difference

And it's $34,750 in 2013 so it's basically gone up about $1000 a year for the last 8 years

I'm thinking about another $1500 - $1750 increase from 2014 to 2015
Fords4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 05:45 PM   #15
FR500 Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,392
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever View Post
2004 GT Premium Coupe - $24,845 MSRP
2005 GT Premium Coupe - $26,320MSRP

$1475 difference

And it's $34,750 in 2013 so it's basically gone up about $1000 a year for the last 8 years

I'm thinking about another $1500 - $1750 increase from 2014 to 2015
Thanks for the info, and may this be an accurate prediction

That said, I think that's a decent amount of coinage for a nicely optioned "entry level" V8 Mustang. Of course, with the next generation, the upgrades may easily be worth that price.
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 06:46 PM   #16
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: April 11, 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
A couple of 2015 pricing questions that I'd like to know your opinions on.

1. Should we expect pricing similar to 2014 prices? Or is there going to be a bump with the new platform. If so, how much do you think?

2. If the 2015 goes on sale in April of 2014, should we expect rampant dealer markups on those first ones to hit the lots? (I'm in a discussion with another person on another forum over this one)

3. Could one expect to buy a 2015 Mustang GT at MSRP right from the start in April of 2014?

4. If there are dealer markups on the first ones, would it be reasonable to expect to get a GT at MSRP or less 3 months after the release, say July of '14?
1. I'd expect prices to be no more than $1500 higher for comparable models when the new Mustang arrives. Problem may be the models may not be directly comparable. Base model 4-cyl? GT 6-cyl?

2. Some dealers will mark up the new Mustang for sure. Some won't budge on MSRP. X-Plan pricing should be available though, and isn't too hard for most people to get.

3. From some dealers, yes.

4. Yes, the longer you wait, the more demand will die down, and the better deal you will get.

I'd like to get a '15 50th anniversary Mustang, but won't pay MSRP for one. I'm patient enough to wait until early 2015 to get mine if need be.

Last edited by Ministang; 2/19/13 at 06:50 PM.
Ministang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/19/13, 07:17 PM   #17
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: September 10, 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 956
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think there will be a significant period of dealer markups, with competition from the camaro and as the car goes up market which brings other competitors I don't think they will be able to get away with more than a month or 2 after the cars hit the lots of msrp sales. I can see the Shelby continuing to be an exception to that as production is limited.

Last edited by xlover; 2/20/13 at 12:04 AM.
xlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/20/13, 05:41 PM   #18
V6 Member
Thread Starter
 
Free Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: April 8, 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far to all that have responded.

I'm just a bit worried how much the price increase jump will be. I think I'm one of that "target demographic" for the GT but if it increases too much I may not be. And I won't "settle" for the V6 or turbo 4 either. (Please don't take that as an affront V6 owners, I'm just a V8 guy at heart.)
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/20/13, 09:17 PM   #19
V6 Member
 
cbf102770's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 25, 2010
Location: Moncks Corner SC
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it goes up much more than 500-1000 for a base gt and the standard features will have to increase as well. I do expect SYNC standard in a GT and not an option like it currently is on the base. Touch screen premium audio will also need to be included with available upgrades like dual zone auto climate power seats and better speakers. The premium will need to have all this standard and like most European competition, performance options like exhaust suspension right from the factory. Just like on BMW 3 series where you can add the M performace package to a base 325 or 335. Since that seems to be the target ford is aiming at. Just please dont price it in that range!!
cbf102770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/21/13, 04:27 PM   #20
Team Mustang Source
 
05fordgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 19, 2004
Location: Phoenixville, PA
Posts: 6,840
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am telling everyone I talk to at the dealership and online here, who wants any new Mustang, and even the 2015 Mustang, to sign up for Mustang Club of America and this gets them X-Plan. That price is just a little over $100 over invoice and caps the dealer documentation fee at $100 max (some states have a stupid high doc fee ). Its worth the $50 for the membership. I am just waiting it out until I post my offer for any forum members who wants to order their 2015 Mustangs from me if they don't do X-Plan. It will be more, but not much. As long as Ford offers Retail Order Verification, like they did for the 2011s back in the day, I can get as many as I need with no allocation restrictions!!

What Retail Order Verification was was as long as I scanned a copy of the purchase order, the DORA and the license of the buyer, the car would get built. It overrides any allocation that I normally get and I can get as many cars as I order. It was a great program back in 2011 for the new motor. If they bring it back, I will offer a great deal on 2015s to everyone on here!!!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 2/21/13 at 04:29 PM.
05fordgt is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Everyone rcarrilloGTP Introductions 22 9/3/15 09:27 AM
New Here PonyShow Introductions 19 8/21/15 09:55 AM
New guy from Houston iiizman Introductions 2 7/20/15 11:33 AM
2016 Shelby GT350 style wheels for a new Mustang carid Vendor Showcase 3 7/17/15 05:40 PM
The Making of the MMD By Foose Mustang JonathonK GT 1 7/15/15 07:53 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:58 PM.


2010, The Mustang Source