2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/14, 08:08 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.

I've now seen 3 S550s in person, a black V6 with zero options, a DIB premium GT and a base GT in guard. Ford nailed this car. It is simply stunning looking in person. The rear end looks exotic and far more expensive than the car is. The V6 I saw was the best looking base model since the first generation. It was a good looking car even in the format likely to end up at car rental fleets. This is the first base I don't despise in forever for looks.
And don't even get me started on the interior. I was blown away by the premium GT interior at night, all lit up with the ambient lighting and the premium dash setup with soft touch door panels and dash and with the leather seats just enveloping me.

Anyway if you aren't a believer yet go to a dealer near you that has one and give it a look from all angles. Then walk over and compare it to the S197. I don't mean to disrespect those who own the S197 now, because it's a great car. But this new one makes it look 10 years old. The stance is way better. The flared out rear quarters and tapered fastback, the front splitter, side skirts and rear valance, all much much better looking on the new car. The body of the new car looks like it's sculpted by an artist not just tacked together. The S197 sits too high. And just looks kinda of pieced together comparatively.

Lastly, those who said it looks like a Fusion?

This car is wicked looking, a Fusion is a sporty family sedan that looks so tame after seeing the GT. Check it out for yourself.

Pics

Last edited by Fox9350; 10/25/14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10/25/14, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I just hate the 15 JK I saw a anniversary edition in black the other day. 42k and change.
Old 10/25/14, 08:25 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree, the 2015 was stunning to me in person. The rear end reminded me of a Ferrari and the overall look of the car is awesome.
Old 10/25/14, 08:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I dated an s197. She was a 2010. It didn't work out. She wore a diaper.
Old 10/25/14, 08:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox9350
Anyway if you aren't a believer yet go to a dealer near you that has one and give it a look from all angles. Then walk over and compare it to the S197.
Did just that Friday. Third time I've seen it in person actually. Still not impressed. Was more than thrilled to walk back to my '14 in the parking lot. Those tails.

And there's my one post for the year in the '15 section...
Old 10/25/14, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Did just that Friday. Third time I've seen it in person actually. Still not impressed. Was more than thrilled to walk back to my '14 in the parking lot. Those tails.

And there's my one post for the year in the '15 section...
That's cool. I do love the 13/14 tails, but the designers somehow outdid themselves, the 15 is even better to me. The rest of the 13/14 I could take or leave, certainly missing several items I mentioned the 15 excels at.
Old 10/25/14, 09:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I dated an s197. She was a 2010. It didn't work out. She wore a diaper.
Old 10/25/14, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've now seen 3 S550s in person, a black V6 with zero options, a DIB premium GT and a base GT in guard. Ford nailed this car. It is simply stunning looking in person. The rear end looks exotic and far more expensive than the car is. The V6 I saw was the best looking base model since the first generation. It was a good looking car even in the format likely to end up at car rental fleets. This is the first base I don't despise in forever for looks.
And don't even get me started on the interior. I was blown away by the premium GT interior at night, all lit up with the ambient lighting and the premium dash setup with soft touch door panels and dash and with the leather seats just enveloping me.

Anyway if you aren't a believer yet go to a dealer near you that has one and give it a look from all angles. Then walk over and compare it to the S197. I don't mean to disrespect those who own the S197 now, because it's a great car. But this new one makes it look 10 years old. The stance is way better. The flared out rear quarters and tapered fastback, the front splitter, side skirts and rear valance, all much much better looking on the new car. The body of the new car looks like it's sculpted by an artist not just tacked together. The S197 sits too high. And just looks kinda of pieced together comparatively.

Lastly, those who said it looks like a Fusion?

This car is wicked looking, a Fusion is a sporty family sedan that looks so tame after seeing the GT. Check it out for yourself.

Pics
I don't think I could disagree with you more. I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and THIS beholder sees no beauty, particularly in the tail of the car. It looks unfinished and like there is something missing. Almost like a classic Mustang got rammed by a AIM-9 Sidewinder missile in the back. It's all FUBAR'd back there.

And besides, it doesn't look like a Fusion from the back silly, only from the front. I've seen plenty in person. Didn't change how I felt about the looks. The 6 pistons Brembo brakes on the other hand look very impressive in person though.

I am jealous of the track performance gains the 2015 has, andthe better interior. But I can't get over the exterior. My car looks like a Mustang, and I still think the new one doesn't.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10/25/14 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10/25/14, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Eh... I think Ford did a good job with some of the details they've missed in the past but the main update is in the interior. I'd say the 2014 isn't dated... I saw a '15 and '14 side by side and honestly, without seeing the interior, I could have believed that either one was the newer one.

With a thread title like that though, it seems you are looking to pick a fight with s197 people... and my guess is the majority of people on this site are STILL s197 owners and plan to still be next year and the next...
Old 10/26/14, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No thanks
Old 10/26/14, 01:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently dating a '13 model. I can't see myself going home with a younger model. Mine's got a nicer rear than the newer ones anyway. I've seen the new ones in person and thought it was OK but not heart-stopping. For the record, I am not jealous of any perceived performance advantages either.

Name:  5BD7E676-B50F-4BEF-8C2C-C2D0FD31765E-106-000000008A048251.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  298.4 KB

Last edited by Boss 0960; 10/26/14 at 01:57 AM.
Old 10/26/14, 03:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I also date an S197. She's black, beautiful, and loves to drive topless. And contrary to what many people say, it is black on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.-021.jpg   2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.-023.jpg  
Old 10/26/14, 06:04 AM

Saw the 2015 GT yesterday blazing down the road, it looked really good and my wife actualy said she loved the new design and it remided her of a viper!
Old 10/26/14, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If anyone thinks the S550 won't be 'dated' just as fast as S197, Sn-95, Foxes, etc...

You've all got another think coming.

Just sayin'.

Love,
Old 10/26/14, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
If anyone thinks the S550 won't be 'dated' just as fast as S197, Sn-95, Foxes, etc...

You've all got another think coming.

Just sayin'.

Love,
This.

And the "new product" syndrome plays with peoples mind.

I bet people said the same thing when 1971 Charger came out, and now we all know how its predecessor is a much better and meaner looker.
Old 10/26/14, 11:35 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm with you, Fox9350.

I love S197......from the very earliest versions like my '05 GT through to the gorgeous '13/'14MY. And they will stand with their heads held high in any Mustang line-up.........BUT, S550 is STUNNING.

I'm in the UK, so the changes to get up close and personal are few and far between at the moment, but this is the 4th time I've seen it and every time I'm blown away by how good looking she is in the metal.

Here's the one I saw today

Well, that was a great little show! Nice to meet you again, Garry, and the '66 is gorgeous!

Old 10/26/14, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Not trying to pick a fight I posted this here not in the S197 forums. Trust me I do like the S197 and respect the hell out of the power, I just feel strongly that the new generation is leaps and bounds better in the looks department. I feel confident most mustang fans will come around to this position when they see it in person and compare. Just my opinion, it's a forum so feel free to disagree.

I have noticed (not just in this thread) some S197 owners seem defensive about their own car in light of this new one. No need to get upset if some others think the new one looks better. I also love Fox Mustangs but I know there is a large segment of the Mustang community that doesn't like them. That's cool with me. One thing that's awesome about stangs is all the different kinds over the years. Everyone has their favorites.

I get how the front end is polarizing. What I don't get is the rear end comment here. The rear end is insanely hot. I don't think its a mess at all. I see some Ferrari. I see some porsche and I see some 60s fastback in the rear. And the tri bar taillight design is like nothing else in the road. Gives it character. I was sold on the rear in the very first magazine shots. The front end took longer to grow on me.

Last edited by Fox9350; 10/26/14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10/26/14, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight I posted this here not in the S197 forums. Trust me I do like the S197 and respect the hell out of the power, I just feel strongly that the new generation is leaps and bounds better in the looks department. I feel confident most mustang fans will come around to this position when they see it in person and compare. Just my opinion, it's a forum so feel free to disagree.

I have noticed (not just in this thread) some S197 owners seem defensive about their own car in light of this new one. No need to get upset if some others think the new one looks better. I also love Fox Mustangs but I know there is a large segment of the Mustang community that doesn't like them. That's cool with me. One thing that's awesome about stangs is all the different kinds over the years. Everyone has their favorites.

I get how the front end is polarizing. What I don't get is the rear end comment here. The rear end is insanely hot. I don't think its a mess at all. I see some Ferrari. I see some porsche and I see some 60s fastback in the rear. And the tri bar taillight design is like nothing else in the road. Gives it character. I was sold on the rear in the very first magazine shots. The front end took longer to grow on me.
I 100% agree with that bolded part. The back end is what made me do a double take. That wide dark taillight section makes me think Ferrari 355 all day. But then again, pictures do a lot for a car so I'd like to actually see some more driving in real world conditions, in the rain, after not having a wash in a week or two to actually form a better opinion.

And like you said about everyone having their favorites. The S550 will DEFINITELY have a following since it is so controversial. I personally like it... but not head over heels.
Old 10/26/14, 01:00 PM
GT Member

The weather up here has been turning so both my shots in the OP were in the gloomy rain. the rear Taillights glow like jewels.
Old 10/26/14, 01:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just can't warm up to the S550; mostly due to the IRS's need for aftermarket upgrades just to survive hard drag racing launches (see the Ford Racing videos for reference). Even the EcoBoost models need rear subframe bracing! My S197's have needed no beefing up to survive repeated drag duty.

I like the interior of the new car, but I like the interior of my S197's, as well. I like the side & rear of the S550, but the front is horrible! I like the looks of the S197 so much better.

I know it'll be a big hit with a lot of people, but until the S550 comes from the factory with drag racing in mind, I'll pass. This won't be the first Mustang generation I've stayed away from. I can't stand the '71-'73's, nor did I ever like the '94-'98's. I guess I'll just hang onto my '14 until the 7th gen Mustang debuts, perhaps.

Quick Reply: 2015 instantly dates the S197, Ford nailed it.