Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

At what point does my car become a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/14, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At what point does my car become a lemon?

First off, I've never had any major disabling problems with my mustang. Just small issues that I seem to have to take back to the dealer multiple times. They can't diagnosis and fix my car even though there are applicable TSB's and the Ford Customer Service Manager (who Deysha hooked me up with) tells them about the TSB. I will be going back to the dealer for the THIRD time with the radio screen de-lamination and the LCA squeak. The last two times, the dealer didn't replace any parts.

This will be my 8th time that I have taken the car into the dealer for warranty work in the 16 months that I have owned the car. I still have a couple issues that will still need addressed after this like the paint bubbling on my hood, and the rear decklid rubbing on my bumper. I have also had a few other issues that seem to pop up out of nowhere and are hard to replicate like my clutch pedal wont return when skip shifting and advancetrac will go nuts sometimes.

Under my states law, if Ford can't fix the LCA squeak and radio de-lamination after 3 times then that will qualify me for a lemon law.

Has anyone gone through this lemon process before? Did you try and get Ford to repurchase? I think if this **** doesn't get fixed I have to go through the BBB autoline and then I can go through a lawyer.
Old 9/1/14, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, lemon laws vary by state. Sometimes simply being given a loaner/free rental vehicle negates lemon law liability during the repair.

Lemon laws also depend on the type of issue. Usually, issues that do not create a safety or hazard in the mechanical operation of the vehicle are excluded from such lemon laws.

In your case, I would be extremely surprised if the radio screen de-lamination or control arm squeak qualify as Lemon Law issues, as neither represent safety or operational harard. Additionally, I've not heard of any of the LCA squeaks or noises having been found to be related to the mechanical operation of the part.

Lastly, most Lemon Laws are bound and limited to a certain mileage or time frame. In Texas where I live, it is 12-months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Read the law a little closer, you will probably not like the fine print, but if you do qualify, do not tell Ford what you are doing while seeking them to repair the vehicle, as they will zip their mouths and essentially refuse to work with you.

I feel your pain, my car is going on 4-weeks in the shop, 2-dealerships, and might have another 3-weeks to wait until the parts become available off of back-order.
Old 9/1/14, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Under Pennsylvania's lemon law, it states that a non-conformity under the lemon law can be something that diminishes the value of the car. I think the cloudy radio screen would fall under that category. Also, the paint on the hood.

I'm not sure what the time constraint is for my state. I keep reading different things. Even my attorney general website says 12000 miles/one year, then another page says 12000 miles or one year, which ever comes first.

What's your car in the shop for?
Old 9/1/14, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't think this will be fall under the lemon law.

Try a different dealer.
Old 9/1/14, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I don't think this will be fall under the lemon law.

Try a different dealer.
I had the Ford CSM call another dealer for the 2nd repair attempt and make me a service appointment. The 2nd dealer said his chassis ears were not working and the radio screen delamination was the other dealers problem so he didn't touch anything.
Old 9/3/14, 03:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
What's your car in the shop for?
Driveline vibration. In their research and analysis of the problem, they found the Rear Differential had a problem with backlash, so they are rebuilding it, but the gears were on national back-order.