Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/15, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife's 2014 convertible had a soaked rear floor and a really bad smell a few weeks back. Also had a sloshing sound behind the left door. I tracked it down to be water in the cavity behind the door pillar by putting the top down and the rear windows up. That appeared to be a sealed cavity on her car. There was a ton of seam sealer around all the body seams, but I could find no drain holes. However, there is a flap under the top that was partly hanging out of the area where the rear of the roof meets the body. On the passenger side that flap is tucked under the fabric of the roof and appears to be fastened underneath somewhere. I attempted to put the driver side flap back under the top as best as possible. Then with a hand pump and hose I removed the stinky water. Yuk! I made an appointment with Washington Ford in Washington Pa. And they inspected the car. They sprayed it with water and could find nothing in the way of a leak. The heavy rains have moderated a bit around here lately so we'll just have to wait and see. I have a feeling that the problem has something to do with the flap that was trying to get out of the car.
Old 10/21/15, 08:06 AM

I'm having the same problem on my 2014 Mustang Convertible. Definitely water sloshing in passenger rear Quarter panel. Deysha if you give me and address I can P.M. you to . I will send you my private info. Thanks
Old 10/21/15, 08:24 AM

Does anyone know where the drain hole is in the rear quarter panel in front of the rear tire on the 2014 Mustang Convertible.
Old 10/21/15, 10:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oneshoe96
I'm having the same problem on my 2014 Mustang Convertible. Definitely water sloshing in passenger rear Quarter panel. Deysha if you give me and address I can P.M. you to . I will send you my private info. Thanks
PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number, oneshoe96. I'll escalate this if needed.

Deysha
Old 10/26/15, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number, oneshoe96. I'll escalate this if needed.

Deysha
Deysha, I am also having this issue. Dallas Texas, 2014 Mustang gt premium. Purchased at Rockwall Ford.
Old 10/27/15, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Executor
Deysha, I am also having this issue. Dallas Texas, 2014 Mustang gt premium. Purchased at Rockwall Ford.
Welcome and thank you for reaching out to me, Executor! Have you been able to address this with your Ford Dealer? If so, what have they said?

Deysha
Old 11/7/15, 06:50 AM

I have the same issue 14 GT Premieum

Originally Posted by FordService
Definitely bring it in and let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for you area, SMBJoshy. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
I have brought mine to 2 different dealerships and the problem is still there. I have an appt with a 3rd. I called Ford directly and logged a case. If the issue is not fixed then Ford will buy it back
Shame I love my pony but I don't it to rot inside out...
Old 11/7/15, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this same issue. The water is getting in through the rear wheel well. It seems there wasn't proper welding/sealing at the factory. I had the dealer seal the seem between the body and wheel well and the problem has been fixed ever since. Have them check the seam and seal it.
Old 11/9/15, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Bombastic
I have brought mine to 2 different dealerships and the problem is still there. I have an appt with a 3rd. I called Ford directly and logged a case. If the issue is not fixed then Ford will buy it back
Shame I love my pony but I don't it to rot inside out...
Hello Mr. Bombastic,

Welcome to the forum! Since you’ve proactively contacted the CRC, I recommend you stay in contact with your CSM until all your concerns have been addressed. They are in the best position to assist you with this.

Deysha
Old 11/12/15, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Same issue here. 2005 Mustang GT. I first noticed this issue well after the warranty had expired. Maybe around the summer of 2011. Been fighting it ever since that time. So far the factory carpet (quarters and main flooring with the fiber board) had to be thrown away due to mold. I also had mold showing up behind the seats and in other areas of the trunk but I was able to remove it prior to it causing any permanent damage. I have removed all of the sound insulation from the trunk area that I installed and sealed the inside of the trunk and quarters but of course that did not help at all. I guess I will try and see if I can locate and seal the affected areas in the wheel wells when I get some free time.
Old 11/12/15, 02:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by nbk13nw
Same issue here. 2005 Mustang GT. I first noticed this issue well after the warranty had expired. Maybe around the summer of 2011. Been fighting it ever since that time. So far the factory carpet (quarters and main flooring with the fiber board) had to be thrown away due to mold. I also had mold showing up behind the seats and in other areas of the trunk but I was able to remove it prior to it causing any permanent damage. I have removed all of the sound insulation from the trunk area that I installed and sealed the inside of the trunk and quarters but of course that did not help at all. I guess I will try and see if I can locate and seal the affected areas in the wheel wells when I get some free time.
I am not home until Saturday but I will take pictures of what/where it was sealed and post in this thread.
Old 11/12/15, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Last1
I am not home until Saturday but I will take pictures of what/where it was sealed and post in this thread.
Thanks! I really appreciate the effort.
Old 11/24/15, 07:17 PM

I have a 2012 V6 premium and low and behold......water sloshing around in the area between the drivers door and the rear wheel. Is there any literature from Ford documenting or agknowleging this issue?
Old 11/26/15, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just realized that I never posted pics for this. I had this same issue and it was repaired, never to return again. The problem was the wheel well/body seal. Water gets kicked up in there when it rains and collects in a small area near the rear passenger seat below the seat belt mechanism. There is a slight gap where the wheel well meets the body seam indicated by the arrows. The photos are of the rear passenger wheel well facing towards the front of the car. Sorry, she's a little dirty My dealer had my car for over a week trying to figure this out. They sealed the seam (quite sloppily as you can see from the photos) and the car has been fine ever since. No water. I hope the pics help.
Attached Thumbnails Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel-seal_1.png   Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel-seal_2.png  

Last edited by Last1; 11/26/15 at 06:11 AM.
Old 1/2/16, 01:55 PM

Yep me to.2014 mustang with water sloshing sounds,also noted water leaking out of the wheel well.So I opened up the right rear back seat area per this blog only to find about 4 inches of water in the quarter panel.Got a appointment on Monday so we will see what happens.Kiwi4

Old 1/29/16, 11:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I might have this problem too. Back in November I went to Houston TX on vacation and it rained pretty hard while I was there. I heard some sloshing water sounds but could not tell where they were coming from. I ended up putting the car up for the winter right after coming back and the car has sat in my garage until today.

Today I changed the oil so I put the car up on my ramps and noticed that I had water dripping on the ground under the same spot that is shown in the pictures above. I have not torn my interior apart to see if there is water inside the quarter panel and the water stopped dripping after a little while.

I'm not sure if I should take it in because there might not be any evidence left. I'm going to check out the fender well tomorrow and see if I can see if it is evident that the seam might not be caulked correctly.

Wayne
Old 1/30/16, 04:16 PM

70monte
The convertible will have water in the quarter panel as its passes the roof body seem and passed the quarter window ,because its not fixed to the body.but I also believe they are equipped with drain hole that the coupe's are not.But no matter what the drain will need inspected and also the wheel well.Kiwi4

Last edited by kiwi4; 1/30/16 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missed a fact
Old 1/30/16, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kiwi4
70monte
The convertible will have water in the quarter panel as its passes the roof body seem and passed the quarter window ,because its not fixed to the body.but I also believe they are equipped with drain hole that the coupe's are not.But no matter what the drain will need inspected and also the wheel well.Kiwi4
I looked in the wheel well but I can't see with that liner in there. I guess I need to pull the wheel and liner off to see if I can see the seams. I don't typically drive this car in bad weather so normally this is not a problem but I don't want to have a bad seam in case I get caught in a rain storm.

Wayne
Old 1/30/16, 04:46 PM

All the seams in question can be seen with the liner installed.Look at the pic's higher on the page on the black car,mine where at the same place.There is one more in there also,its where the wheel well metal is attached to the inner body.The tech was able to stick an ink pen in the hole,right below the liner. kiwi4
Old 1/30/16, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did not see any obvious holes or bad seams when I looked inside my wheel well so I don't know where I could be getting water inside.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel