Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/15, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is hard (or impossible) to see but if you remove the upper trim and the window squeegee it is to the front inside corner of the well where the water collects. I took a piece or stiff rubber hose and duct taped it to the vacuum and cleaned the area.
Old 2/11/15, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soundman2033
It is hard (or impossible) to see but if you remove the upper trim and the window squeegee it is to the front inside corner of the well where the water collects. I took a piece or stiff rubber hose and duct taped it to the vacuum and cleaned the area.
Interesting. What was clogging the hole? I will have to check this out when spring rolls around.
Old 2/11/15, 08:24 AM

Appears to be just dirt and leaves etc.
Old 2/17/15, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PonyOx
They moved the car outside after the first service last week, so I didn't have a chance to shake the car to check their work as the temp was in the low teens when I picked it up.

Today they found and fixed another leaky body seam via pressure test. Since the car was outside overnight, there was plenty of ice in there so it has not completely drained. I park in a heated garage during the workday, so the car will get the shake test daily to ensure that the water has eventually cleared.

While they whiffed at the first attempt to fix the issue, they have been responsive and accommodating during the process.

Now, why is this an issue with so many vehicles? Is the right rear body panel assembler asleep at the switch in Flat Rock?
Incorrectly calibrated robot would be my guess.
Old 2/17/15, 01:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
Incorrectly calibrated robot would be my guess.
"I'll get you for that!"
Old 2/20/15, 09:11 AM

It has rained a couple of times, still no water... in my case cleaning the drain worked !
Old 3/11/15, 05:12 PM

I am have the same issue with my 2014 GT. Passenger side rear quarter panel fills up fast when driving on wet roads. Took it to the dealer yesterday and explained the issue. Today they called to inform me there was water in the doors and the drains were clogged.

As soon as I got in the car at the dealership and lurched it forward a few inches I heard the water immediately and got my service adviser into the car to validate my claim, which he did. This is my first new car, first a motor replacement needed at 5k miles, and now this water issue.

We'll see what they say next.
Old 3/12/15, 09:17 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jmichael
I am have the same issue with my 2014 GT. Passenger side rear quarter panel fills up fast when driving on wet roads. Took it to the dealer yesterday and explained the issue. Today they called to inform me there was water in the doors and the drains were clogged.

As soon as I got in the car at the dealership and lurched it forward a few inches I heard the water immediately and got my service adviser into the car to validate my claim, which he did. This is my first new car, first a motor replacement needed at 5k miles, and now this water issue.

We'll see what they say next.
Glad to learn you're working with your dealer, jmichael. Please let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 3/13/15, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn you're working with your dealer, jmichael. Please let me know what they say.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha,

They found water in both rear quarter panels and reported it to be coming in around the sheet metal seam in the rear fender wells. They resealed with Duplicolor Undercoat.

Unfortunately when I went to get the vehicle today, I found it had sustained a lot of front end damage to the hood and bumper while in the dealership's care. So now it is in their collision center. My service advisor did not notice the damage until I showed him, which surprised me as it was bad and the hood was misaligned. Another day, another adventure.

Last edited by jmichael; 3/13/15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 3/16/15, 08:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jmichael
Thank you Deysha,

They found water in both rear quarter panels and reported it to be coming in around the sheet metal seam in the rear fender wells. They resealed with Duplicolor Undercoat.

Unfortunately when I went to get the vehicle today, I found it had sustained a lot of front end damage to the hood and bumper while in the dealership's care. So now it is in their collision center. My service advisor did not notice the damage until I showed him, which surprised me as it was bad and the hood was misaligned. Another day, another adventure.
You’re very welcome, jmichael. Thank you for the update. This will get taken care of for you. Keep me posted on the outcome.

Deysha
Old 3/19/15, 07:50 AM
GT Member

OK so I am NOT crazy, lol. We've had some heavy rains down here in my area over the last few weeks and I started getting the sloshing. First, I pulled my rear seat bottom. I DID find water at the bottom of the rear right one. But I still got the sloshing and knew it had to be some sort of rear quarter panel issue. The road I drive just outside my neighborhood is getting a little rutted near it's edges and water was collecting there last week. I hit one of those puddles that splashes water 20 feet in the air and that's when the sloshing started. Normal rainy driving hadn't done this in the past. I'm not going to bother with my dealer. They'd take 6 weeks to figure this out...
Old 3/19/15, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so I Am not crazy either... I Knew i heard water, either when it rained or when i was driving my car after I wash it. I even got a photo with no rain today, just wet road. Look how big this puddle was...

For a second I thought I was leaking diff fluid. This is my 3rd Mustang i Owned a 2001, and still own a 97 and never had issues like these..
Attached Thumbnails Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel-img_1756.jpg  
Old 3/19/15, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarkPony37
I've got a 2014 with about 7k on it now. Bought it new on July 4th with about 11 miles on the odometer. This was the first brand new car I've purchased but my 3rd Mustang (Wife had a '99 and at one point I had a '65). So I'm driving to work this morning and kept hearing a slosh - slosh sound when I hit the brakes. This was the first time I've heard this but I had less than 1/4 tank so I figured it was the empty tank. I did some research and checked from the trunk to see if I could feel moisture but felt nothing. After reading about this issue here I immediately joined and am planning a trip to the dealer. I already have a strange sound from the engine and a horrible creak from the seat belt holder, but now I've got to worry about my car rusting out from underneath me? Is there some TSB or service bulletin I can reference when I talk to them?
I too pissed, that my car would rust in spot where it should never be... No wonder my car smelt like water... I told them.. ODD ODD and yeah i can confirm in the wheel well that the isolation is not good.

Do i got to remove back seats to get to this or can i do it from the trunk?
Old 3/19/15, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I know a few people have had it resealed. But I think it's just a clogged drain. As one member discovered, his drain was clogged.

I know for me, when it has rained heavily and my car was outside. On first movement I hear it slosh and drain out. After driving in a heavy rain and parking in my garage, the next day there will be a good sized puddle in front of the rear tires. After all the other water on the garage floor has dried.

I feel bad that it took so long for this to be discovered. I know some people had it resealed and damage was done.
Old 3/19/15, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
I know a few people have had it resealed. But I think it's just a clogged drain. As one member discovered, his drain was clogged.

I know for me, when it has rained heavily and my car was outside. On first movement I hear it slosh and drain out. After driving in a heavy rain and parking in my garage, the next day there will be a good sized puddle in front of the rear tires. After all the other water on the garage floor has dried.

I feel bad that it took so long for this to be discovered. I know some people had it resealed and damage was done.
I'll have to get in there this weekend and see if there is a drain. If there is, that would be great!
Old 3/19/15, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Can anyone take photos or how manual/video for us? We need the drain locations, ( i am a car guy my self ) and dont mind getting dirty. I also dont like anyone else working on my car but me. However i got to go to ford for a Diff Noise Issue and might have to have this checked too...
Old 3/19/15, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13
Can anyone take photos or how manual/video for us? We need the drain locations, ( i am a car guy my self ) and dont mind getting dirty. I also dont like anyone else working on my car but me. However i got to go to ford for a Diff Noise Issue and might have to have this checked too...
I need to bring my car in for these exact two issues. The whine has been since day 1 (Track Pack car, but I bought it 1k miles away from home so I couldn't have it addressed the same day - almost 13k now, and still haven't had time to do it). The sloshing just started about a month ago when it rained HARD over here. Seems to be all gone now, but obviously the issue is there. I'll probably take care of that one myself, but I'm sure my whole diff has to be rebuilt, per the stories of other people who have had the whine.
Old 3/24/15, 05:56 AM

As I stated I did vacuum mine out and it worked, it has started holding water again but not as bad as it was. Will try cleaning it again. I cannot get any pictures but the drain is near the door in the sump under the side window from what I can tell it just clogs up with debris .
Old 3/29/15, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

FIX?

I finally got around to trying to find this drain hole. I wasn't able to find a drain hole per say (it might be the drain hole but doesn't seem like it to me). But through some finagling with my finger i was able to get the water to drain! I ended up cutting out about an inch or so of foam to help the water drain out in the future.

In this picture, this is were I cut the foam out (between the red lines):Name:  4EBap0A.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  593.4 KB

Here is a picture looking behind the seat belt anchor so you get a better idea of where to cut the foam:
Name:  edZkwhk.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  477.6 KB

A word of caution, this doesn't seem to me like a drain hole in my opinion. I was able to stick my finger down there and it honestly feels like a gap between the sheet metal. It does drain about 90% of the water though. If you are unhappy I guess you can buy some spray foam or something and fill the "drain" back in. I'm personally happy with this fix as my dealer is totally inept at fixing this problem. Besides its 100% reversible if you don't like it.

Edit: Video of where the water drains to:

Last edited by dave07; 3/29/15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 3/29/15, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow thank you! I don't think it's supposed to be a drain hole. I don't think the water is supposed to get into that spot in the first place!

Quick Reply: Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel