Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/14, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm experiencing this problem as well. There was a storm here in Texas a few weeks ago and there was minor sloshing that went away over time. Now, there was a huge storm and the sloshing is back. Passenger side rear panel over the wheel well. I'm taking it in to ford this week to have it looked at, please wish me luck! It's a 14 GT with 4200 miles, shouldn't be having these issues!
Old 11/22/14, 06:02 PM

I just heard this for the first time 2 days ago and figured maybe it was a water bottle left by my son or daughter but there as no bottle. I was hit by the same storms as Jacob this week. I'll be looking at it tomorrow because it rained again today. Bad luck for 4 months and 500 miles old.
Old 12/2/14, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the dealers fixed this for you guys?
Old 12/2/14, 12:01 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePope
The paint didn't get scratched off. Just a scratch from being careless. But still, that no excuse in my eyes.
Any recent updates, ThePope?

Originally Posted by Jacobplano
Hey everyone, I'm experiencing this problem as well. There was a storm here in Texas a few weeks ago and there was minor sloshing that went away over time. Now, there was a huge storm and the sloshing is back. Passenger side rear panel over the wheel well. I'm taking it in to ford this week to have it looked at, please wish me luck! It's a 14 GT with 4200 miles, shouldn't be having these issues!
Originally Posted by gkcontra
I just heard this for the first time 2 days ago and figured maybe it was a water bottle left by my son or daughter but there as no bottle. I was hit by the same storms as Jacob this week. I'll be looking at it tomorrow because it rained again today. Bad luck for 4 months and 500 miles old.
I’d like to get this escalated for you guys as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealers, mileage, full names, and best daytime numbers.

Deysha
Old 12/4/14, 07:51 PM

WOW.. this post is kinda freaky. If water is getting inside that easy, this would also mean exhaust fumes could also get it... That means this vehicle was never pass a safety inspection??? Time for a service bulletin Ford
Old 12/4/14, 07:51 PM

After it's fixed, I would definitely have the vehicle RUST CHECK or KROWN sprayed
Old 12/5/14, 02:33 PM

Anyone know how to drain the water out?

I have a leak in my 07 convertible top and water funneled down into the passenger quarter panel. I see a ton of water down there but couldn't find a plug or anything I could do to drain it.

I could try siphoning it out through the quarter window slit but that will be a pain.
Old 12/6/14, 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have this same problem. I thought it was the seatbelt mechanism that got loose. I definitely hear water and something banging around... Most likely ice. Calling my dealership on Monday...
Old 12/9/14, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm dropping my car off to the dealer this Friday. It rained all day today and I can hear what sounds like ALOT of water sloshing around in the passenger quarter panel when I hit the brakes. Ugh
Old 12/10/14, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Last1
I have this same problem. I thought it was the seatbelt mechanism that got loose. I definitely hear water and something banging around... Most likely ice. Calling my dealership on Monday...
I'm dropping my car off to the dealer this Friday. It rained all day today and I can hear what sounds like ALOT of water sloshing around in the passenger quarter panel when I hit the brakes. Ugh
Glad you have an appointment to get this sloshing sound taken care of, Last1. Let me escalate this for you as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 12/10/14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12/10/14, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Deysha! Message sent.
Old 12/11/14, 07:05 AM

Thanks Deysha! Message sent.
Great! You're welcome, Last1!

Deysha
Old 12/19/14, 06:19 PM

Hello.

This is a problem with most of the late model mustangs... It's a factory mis-programming with the body seam sealer.

The RT wheelhouse where the inner wheelhouse and outer quarter skin are spot welded (wheelhouse lip).

How the fix.
On the inside of the vehicle, remove rear seat, quarter trim and seat belt retract, extract the water with a sponge making sure it's dry. Then apply a good amount of urethane seam sealer where the outer skin and inner wheelhouse meet. Apply seam sealer as far as you can reach into the quarter panel.

On the outside:
Simply remove the rear wheel, clean the wheelhouse lip and apply a two-part, urethane grade seam sealer to the edge pushing it into the seam.

Through the wheel back on, reassemble the inside and you're done.

Hope this helps you all...

Thanks.
Old 12/20/14, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Update: Service department found water in that panel. They drained and sealed with the method above explained by jbg00d. The true test will be when it rains this week and I drive the car in it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed...

Thanks again to Deysha, the dealer and Ford Customer Service for their help!

Last edited by Last1; 12/20/14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12/23/14, 07:05 AM

I have an 06 with the same problem, only it's the drivers side, and it leaks sitting still in the rain, got up today to a drivers floor of water.
Old 12/23/14, 09:20 AM

Update: Service department found water in that panel. They drained and sealed with the method above explained by jbg00d. The true test will be when it rains this week and I drive the car in it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed...

Thanks again to Deysha, the dealer and Ford Customer Service for their help!
That’s great, Last1! You’re very welcome!

Deysha
Old 12/24/14, 10:34 AM

I signed up to this forum for the exact same issue. 2014 Mustang GT with 1,800 miles.

Deysha, I'll be PMing you the information you've been requesting in this thread. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12/26/14, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by craigk
I signed up to this forum for the exact same issue. 2014 Mustang GT with 1,800 miles.

Deysha, I'll be PMing you the information you've been requesting in this thread. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thank you for the PM, craigk! I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 1/2/15, 12:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I find it almost funny in a way...before the forum crashed I had put a bunch of pics up of my brand new 06 stripped down in the garage, pics of dozens of missed seams- where sealer was missing like a bubble went thru the line, or simply beside the seam doing nothing- and got several'you gotta be kidding' type responses for folks thinking it was stupid to go over a fine new car... somewhere along the way Ford has fallen so far behind the competition- namely hyundai and toyota- regarding panel fitting/sealing procedures. my 06 was mostly drivers side there were big gaps around the rear shock mount recess on both sides, but the entire drivers side was missed, and the lower/rear trunk on drivers side was beside the seam...

one thing I dont see concerns with here- the bottoms NEED to drain- just from condensation there will be moisture, dont recall the drains on my 06, but know I was very careful sealing not to block them off. even a little water in the lower pinch weld is really bad- if it freezes it will expand likely breaking the paint-ecoat surrounding the spot weld dimples, that would worry me bigtime- at a minimum I would squirt some heavy oil- not much, the gaps are tiny- a little oil wont slosh, but might slow corrosion.
would be very interesting if someone at AAI could explain the drain locations- they are CERTAINLY designed in, and obviously not working on these new models- Deysha, I might suggest you bring this to service attention-afraid ive been a bit to critical on them to write anyone there without upsetting them
ford might be way ahead to give the dealers a TSB on checking quarter/rocker drain issues- fixing leaks in are only part of the equation, it sounds like dealers arent looking for the second part... just sayin

in the meantime, if I can resurrect my old laptop, I'll try to find the old sealing pics from my 06- I need to anyways as it will save me time on the 09 if I ever go to drive it- it will also get disassembled/sealed before hitting the road, and there were so many areas I cant remember them all...
my single biggest concern on my 06, the wifes 07, and one side of the 09- there is a 'flap' in front of the rear tires, where wheelhouse meets floor/rocker- 5 of the 6 seams on our cars had the exact same flaw- and its difficult to see- put a camera behind the flap, get a pic- it should be undercoated, about 2/3 of the cars ive checked were missed- if clean you can see why- the angle of the undercoat wand leaves a 'shadow' behind the flap if not aimed just right, leaving exposed seam in a area that in my opinion would be the single most expensive to repair area of the car... also on the top of that flap, mismatch leaves a small gap, two of our cars were open, one was sealed- leads me to believe sealing/undercoat is done by hands, not robots. the little hole funnels down to a blind pinchweld, filling that with salt/road grime will insure it cant last forever. a few minutes cleaning/sealing (in my opinion) will absolutely extend the rustfree life of the car by years.

these are wonderful cars, plagued by the simplest of sealing problems on the hoods, cowls, and quarters- it would be far cheaper in dollars for ford to nip these in the bud at AAI than to keep dealing with warranty costs- and priceless regarding customer reputation- we bought three, love them all, but I cannot give AAI a free pass on sloppy workmanship. I'm not complaining just to complain- I'm trying to offer ford some constructive criticism because AAI is still dropping the ball, here a decade into S197 production, we still are seeing folks posting of stupid flaws in 2013/2014 models that require repeat dealer visits/escalations...had AAI simply been a tiny bit more observant there would be none of these threads- sadly some of the most active in the forums- thats sad, and I know Ford can do better. till they do' I'll continue to be both a thorn in their side and a non-customer- not because I hate ford, but because I care and want them to be at least as good as the other guys. if noone speaks up, who is to say the 2015 will be any better?
tim

Last edited by ford4v429; 1/2/15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 1/4/15, 12:26 PM

I've owned my 2014 GT coupe for about three weeks now, and just began experiencing this issue with it a few days ago. So glad I found this thread! Will be dropping it off tomorrow with service when I pick up my registration paperwork, hopefully they listen to me when I try to tell them about this issue... im surprised Ford hasnt had any type of recall whatsoever for this, despite it seeming to be such a common issue.
Never had this issue with my 09 GT coupe... :/

Quick Reply: Water sloshing sound from passenger rear quarter panel