Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Warranty and Service Departments

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/15, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Warranty and Service Departments

I have been a GM owner my entire life. This is the first Mustang I have owned and I have noticed a major difference in the service expectations from Chevy owners and those from these message forums.

Soon after buying the car, at 400 miles, I needed to have the rear axle replaced. The local dealer needed to keep my car overnight. I asked about a loaner and was told that I didn't purchase the extended protection plan so I don't get a loaner. This was common practice at every Chevy dealership I've dealt with during the initial warranty period, especially during the 1st 12 months/12k miles. If they need to keep the car over night, they provided a loaner.

When the rear axle was replaced, one of the rims was damaged by the impact wrench. The service department was emphatic that they didn't damage it, but I made a stink and they replaced it under warranty. Not as a service replacement but as a factory defect! This took time as they needed approvals to get that done. I thought it too coincidental that the only rim damaged was on the side that had the axle replaced. Ok, moving on.

I called the dealer last week and asked about wheel balancing in the first year. They said that was normal wear and tear and I was responsible for that. I was also told that the 19" rims were going to cost $49 to balance. I called three dealers and they all said the same thing. Well, I was looking in the 2014 Model Year Warranty guide to see if the LED fogs were covered during the bumper-to-bumper warranty (because of another post), and found a paragraph on page 14 that says:
* Ford will replace or adjust certain maintenance items when necessary,
free of charge during a limited period:

• Wiper blade replacements will be provided during the first six months
in service, regardless of miles driven.
• Wheel alignments and tire balancing will be provided during the first
12 months or 12,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.
• Brake pad/lining replacements will be provided during the first
12 months or 18,000 miles in service, whichever occurs first.
I find it unsettling that I called multiple dealers and specifically asked about the 12 month service and was told by every one that it didn't exist. Now, here's the kicker. I called the dealer back and asked for a refund. The manager stated that the information I provided him for the balance is a one time only option and I had used that when they replaced the rim and balanced the tires for me then due to a shimmy. Again the car had 400 miles and I bought it with 122. So basically one tank of gas through the car and I asked them to balance the tires.

I don't see anywhere on the above listing where it states that they will replace or fix these things one time. It clearly states "when necessary". I guess I'm not very impressed with Ford Service or the knowledge of their service management.
Old 3/6/15, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 775 Likes on 566 Posts
wow some of that is pretty sad. I had my car in once since new and was given a loaner car. Its sad that you didn't take that bit of ammo from the warranty guide in with you when you needed the work done... the stuff about the 12 month.
Old 3/6/15, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Paging Deysha! This guy might need some of your good work, ma'am!
Old 3/6/15, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's ridiculous! I was going to say it's just your dealer, but from the sounds of it they're all out to get you. I've always had a loaner car whenever I've taken one in for warranty. I've even had a loaner truck to haul stuff with when my 350's turbo went out...so that's definitely weird.

The only problem I've ever had is that my CD player went out in the F-350 and I took it in for warranty work....the dealer saw I was close (about a month) from my warranty running out so he wrote the stuff down and said he'd call when the shop could get me in...he pushed it off a few weeks until my warranty ran out and said that there was nothing he could do about it now. My family had bought I think 5 vehicles from him and he owed my family money for work we had done for the dealership...all in all I wasn't too pleased with that one experience.
Old 3/7/15, 07:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Chevy's break down more than FORDS do so the people at chevy have to be nicer?
Old 3/7/15, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Many people may think so, but I have 117k miles on a 2003 Monte Carlo SS and the only issue with that car in 12 years was battery failure due to AC Delco batteries falling apart on the inside. I'm starting to have trouble now, but 12 years and 117k miles before needing repairs is pretty good. I also have a 2006 Silverado Z71 with 135k miles. The only issues I've had with the truck were normal wear items, like the 4WD encoder motor and front axle seal. The biggest issue I've had with the truck are radio and climate control lights burning out. So, in a combined 250k miles, I've basically had no trouble with my Chevys.

I hope I can do the same with the Mustang, but from what I'm reading on these forums and other forums, it doesn't look promising. Especially when I had to fight with the dealership within the first month to replace the rim they damaged and the service departments don't even know their own warranty. As far as the axle is concerned, I'll write that off as a bad supplier and was resolved by the dealership without issue. These things happen and can be marked as similar to GMs battery issue. A bad supplier part. I've had no other issues in the 6k miles with the Mustang and I really shouldn't expect issues in that time, but if I do, I would also expect the dealer to fix it without argument.
Old 3/7/15, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It was a joke. I have had several problem free Cheby's
Old 3/7/15, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

All manufacturers have issues. A friend of mine had a 2006 Silverado Z71 and was constantly having trouble. I know of others with 2003 Monte Carlos that also had many issues. I was the lucky soul that can say I didn't have issues with either car. I hope I'm lucky with the Ford.

On that note, I stopped by the dealer and showed them the warranty comment listed above. I had the entire PDF on my phone so it was easy to see. The manager acknowledged that the book says exactly what is shown above. He then showed me his book and it clearly states that Ford will balance and align the tires "one" time during the 12 month/12k mile period. I will also state that since Ford documentation contradicts itself, the manager was willing to "take care" of this situation and informed me that I have only 1 week left and my 12 month is expired! He said that with a grin on his face. Mulllinax Ford in Central Florida took care of this situation and made good on it.
Old 3/7/15, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I have the opposite experiences. The local Ford service center is quite excellent, and I always get a loaner. Meanwhile the Chevy dealer is a PITA, fights over the loaner (which we do always get, but still...) and does crap work.
Old 3/7/15, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
All manufacturers have issues. A friend of mine had a 2006 Silverado Z71 and was constantly having trouble. I know of others with 2003 Monte Carlos that also had many issues. I was the lucky soul that can say I didn't have issues with either car. I hope I'm lucky with the Ford.

On that note, I stopped by the dealer and showed them the warranty comment listed above. I had the entire PDF on my phone so it was easy to see. The manager acknowledged that the book says exactly what is shown above. He then showed me his book and it clearly states that Ford will balance and align the tires "one" time during the 12 month/12k mile period. I will also state that since Ford documentation contradicts itself, the manager was willing to "take care" of this situation and informed me that I have only 1 week left and my 12 month is expired! He said that with a grin on his face. Mulllinax Ford in Central Florida took care of this situation and made good on it.
You made it sound like you only had one tire balanced? if that was the case you should still be able to get the other 3 balanced.
Old 3/9/15, 01:33 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I have been a GM owner my entire life. This is the first Mustang I have owned and I have noticed a major difference in the service expectations from Chevy owners and those from these message forums.

Soon after buying the car, at 400 miles, I needed to have the rear axle replaced. The local dealer needed to keep my car overnight. I asked about a loaner and was told that I didn't purchase the extended protection plan so I don't get a loaner. This was common practice at every Chevy dealership I've dealt with during the initial warranty period, especially during the 1st 12 months/12k miles. If they need to keep the car over night, they provided a loaner.

When the rear axle was replaced, one of the rims was damaged by the impact wrench. The service department was emphatic that they didn't damage it, but I made a stink and they replaced it under warranty. Not as a service replacement but as a factory defect! This took time as they needed approvals to get that done. I thought it too coincidental that the only rim damaged was on the side that had the axle replaced. Ok, moving on.

I called the dealer last week and asked about wheel balancing in the first year. They said that was normal wear and tear and I was responsible for that. I was also told that the 19" rims were going to cost $49 to balance. I called three dealers and they all said the same thing. Well, I was looking in the 2014 Model Year Warranty guide to see if the LED fogs were covered during the bumper-to-bumper warranty (because of another post), and found a paragraph on page 14 that says:

I find it unsettling that I called multiple dealers and specifically asked about the 12 month service and was told by every one that it didn't exist. Now, here's the kicker. I called the dealer back and asked for a refund. The manager stated that the information I provided him for the balance is a one time only option and I had used that when they replaced the rim and balanced the tires for me then due to a shimmy. Again the car had 400 miles and I bought it with 122. So basically one tank of gas through the car and I asked them to balance the tires.

I don't see anywhere on the above listing where it states that they will replace or fix these things one time. It clearly states "when necessary". I guess I'm not very impressed with Ford Service or the knowledge of their service management.
Those items will be covered if a concern arises from them, scottmoyer. Not because it’s due to be maintained. The warranty guide on page 13 states:

Maintenance/Wear
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover: (1) parts and labor
needed to maintain the vehicle; and (2) the replacement of parts due to
normal wear and tear. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items.
See your Owner’s Manual. Some examples of maintenance and normal
wear are:
• oil changes
• oils, lubricants, other fluids
• oil/air filters
• tire rotation/inflation
• cleaning/polishing
• clutch linings
• wiper blades*
• wheel alignments and tire balancing*
• brake pad/lining*

The new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover rentals or loaners while your vehicle is down for service/repairs. Loaners are provided per dealer availability and not all dealers have that option. Some only have it available if you purchased the vehicle from them, or if it’s an extenuating circumstance, etc. This is also why we offer rental provisions with our Extended Service Plans with first day rental or after 24 hour rental, etc.

For clarification, you’re welcome to speak with your service manager at your Ford Dealer.

Originally Posted by houtex
Paging Deysha! This guy might need some of your good work, ma'am!
Thank you for the mention, houtex!

Deysha