Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

TracKey Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/13, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TracKey Nightmare

While I was deployed (MAR 2012 - NOV 2012) my loving wife decided to get me a new car to take the place of my aging, but fun 1995 Saleen S-351. In April of 2012 she picked up a brand new CO 2012 Boss 302 (#2968) from Mike Davidson Ford in Jacksonville, FL. At 209 miles she decided to take the car in to have the windows tinted and to have TracKey installed. Everything went great, or so we thought. She took great care of the car until my return from deployment.

My wife lives in Jacksonville temporarily and I am stationed in Virginia Beach, VA. So, I came back to work for a while until I could get loose to take some leave for New Years. Alright, bags packed, tank filled, it’s time for a road trip. I left Virginia Beach and drove through the night until I got to Jacksonville. 6 hours later we left for Key West, FL to visit friends that we were previously stationed with that live there now. We took the Florida Turnpike to US1 in Homestead, FL and let me tell you, it was insane. I had the cruise control set at 80mph and was getting passed left and right by everyone. So, I brought up my speed on my navigation unit (Clarion NX-602) and it said I was only travelling 72mph. My initial thought was....HUH?.....That's strange. Which one is right? So, I whipped out the trust old iPhone and brought up my speedometer and it matched the GPS. No biggie, I'll compensate for the inaccuracy by increasing my speed to match the traffic flow. So, we enjoyed New Years and made an uneventful return to Jacksonville.

Once back in Jacksonville I had my wife pace me in her 2011 Acura TSX. I set my cruise at 80, brought up my speed on my navigation unit and iPhone (both read 72mph and called her to ask what her speed was.....well, you guessed it, hers matched the navi and iPhone. Alright, 3 against one, it’s time to go to the dealership. Then it struck me.......my mileage is running up 10% faster than it should be, AND I'm getting 10% better gas mileage.

I took my car to Mike Davison Ford in Jacksonville after making an appointment for Jan 3rd and discussed with them the issues. So, they took the car back and kept it back there with me waiting on it for 4 hours. I finally went to the Service Advisor and asked what was happening so far. I got questioned quite sternly about whether or not I had changed the wheel/tires or if I may have had the gear ratio changed. I then informed him that I hadn't changed anything and if he or his technicians cared to look, they would have noticed that they were the selling dealership and that the tires and gears are stock. So, they fiddled with it for another 3 hours and came back to me and said that my speedometer was within Ford standards (3% under actual speed or 7% over actual speed) and that my other forms of verification were incorrect because I was seeing a difference of 10% over actual speed. He said that I couldn't verify my speed with another cars speedo because the other cars gearing and tires are different. I literally laughed out loud and explained to him that 80mph is 80mph. It doesn't matter if it's a baseball or wind that travelling a distance of 80 miles in the span of one hour IS 80MPH. He then said that I would need to take the car to a "more knowledgeable" dealership for the Boss Mustang. I couldn't believe I heard this. So, I calmly said give me my car and I WILL be more than happy to take it somewhere else and never do business with Mike Davidson Ford again.

So, I returned to Virginia Beach and took my car to Beach Ford. After a quick in-n-out they said the same thing that Mike Davidson said (after a phone conversation with the Service Advisor at Mike Davidson). Funny how that works...huh?

Well, one day as I was looking through some things I found a manila envelope that contained ALL of the paperwork a receipts for everything my wife had done to the car before I got home and guess what found? (I'll tell you anyway) I found the set of Dealer Installation instructions that John Wyatt at Mike Davidson Ford used to install the TracKey. In the blank next to the step telling the tech to write down the tire size there is "3.55". This SHOULD be 285/35-19. But yet it isn't. I believe that John Wyatt put 3.55:1 in as my gear ratio instead of 3.73:1. This would explain a constant 10% inaccuracy. So, now Ford Customer Service along with Ford Racing, and Beach Ford are working feverously to get this corrected. I went to Beach Ford on Thursday March 7th and Friday March 8th and their programmer would not allow them to access the Ford Racing website in order to make the necessary changes in order to correct the inaccurate speedometer. I am currently waiting for a call from Beach Ford pending a solution from Ford Racing.

You know though, it is SAD SAD SAD that a customer with motivation and understanding can figure this out before Fords own techs can. It is SAD that they can't take the difference between my current mileage and the original 209 miles, subtract 10%, add the 209 back, and reset my odometer to this amount. It is even sadder still that a service writer would suggest that I turn my Boss in using the Lemon Law. It's their people that messed it up in the first place can't figure out what's going on.

I love the car, but GET IT TOGETHER FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3/10/13, 11:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its fixed? why you cry?
Old 3/11/13, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
its fixed? why you cry?
No, white bread IT NOT FIXED!! and I NOT CRYING. I hope you understood that, I tried my best to stoop to your grammatical level in order to reach a common ground for you to more efficiently comprehend what I was saying. Oh, and please, drag your knuckles into someone else's post and flame there or better yet, don't do it at all. Your childish motives are no help here and tech is obviously way above your head.

For those of you out there who DO have an education, here is what I was telling white bread in the first two....ugh....sentences.

No, the car has not been repaired at this time because of dealership issues. I'm not crying, but instead I am complaining to the people that are most likely to repair the issue. Now, if the flamer above we're capable of understanding educated conversation then I would not have retaliated in such a manner.

I will keep everyone posted, especially white bread, of what happens. But I will have to do so in a manner befitting his level of comprehension. I'll get it done though.
Old 3/11/13, 07:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it definitely sounds like it was due to incorrect gear ratio. Your going to have to eventually find a dealer that is well educated in the trackey and get things fixed.
Once you find one, that will be the place you should stick to. I only deal with a SVT dealership.
Old 3/11/13, 08:37 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It's a shame they can't adjust it the other way where it's 10% under for the next 209 miles and then put it right and then you're back to even.

It's also a shame when you have to be your own detective like that. I've had that happen more and more recently where I as the consumer seem to knowing about their job than they do.
Old 3/11/13, 10:23 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The part that makes no sense to me on the dealer end is why a 3.55 gear ratio was even selected? All Boss 302's have 3.73 gears. I'm not 100% familiar with the steps involved in the TracKey programming, but it seems like gear ratio shouldn't be a parameter that needs changing at all. Best of luck to getting a resolution on this.
Old 3/11/13, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cm6248

I hope you understood that, I tried my best to stoop to your grammatical level in order to reach a common ground for you to more efficiently comprehend what I was saying.
I can't believe your talking to him about grammar... That was one long a$$ sentence, and about half of the words were useless. Here I'll help you restructure it.

I hope you understood that. I tried to communicate with you in a way that you would comprehend.
Old 3/11/13, 09:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyt03
I can't believe your talking to him about grammar... That was one long a$$ sentence, and about half of the words were useless. Here I'll help you restructure it.

I hope you understood that. I tried to communicate with you in a way that you would comprehend.
Well, if you're doing grammar checks, it's you're, not your.
Old 3/11/13, 09:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What's up with 'white bread'?

Hardly necessary
Old 3/11/13, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
What's up with 'white bread'?

Hardly necessary
I just want to know HOW he knew he was white? I thought he was a woman for the first 6 months.