Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

suspension noise in front when going over bumps?

Old 8/22/14, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension noise in front when going over bumps?

I noticed a weird squeaky sound from my front suspension yesterday when I went over a speed bump. I've never head it while driving on the street, or going up and down driveways. Only speed bumps. Should I take it in for a check up or is this normal?
Old 8/22/14, 02:34 PM

I'm having the same exact problem too but in the rear, and only on bumps
Old 8/25/14, 09:48 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's most likely your lower control arm bushing(s). See this:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...oise-tsbs.html
Old 8/28/14, 10:34 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes - there is a TSB on it, I've had it done for me now 3 times... third time the TSB added a heat shield, there is a slight groan now, but barely noticeable so take it in to FORD, they need to diagnose it then order parts and then fix it - make sure to get an alignment when they are done.

check out this thread here on TMS... https://themustangsource.com/forums/...squeak-522954/
Old 8/31/14, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Exact same issue as OP, but not a squeak - rather a squishy sound. Only the front, only over speedbumps.
Old 9/1/14, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Yes, it is LCA issue which is identified in a TSB. I have it done twice under warranty. the latest revised TSB seems work better. But I don't know for long run. When it comes back and I am out of warranty, I will try after market LCA which can be lubricated.
Old 9/4/14, 05:01 PM

Has anyone had the LCA squeak long-term? Has it created any problems with the performance of the car or become a safety issue? My 2014 does it but I wrote it off to being a Mustang and wash not going to bother with it. If it messes the car up, I will have it fixed though.
Old 9/7/14, 08:51 PM

I've got it too. Only had the car 2 months and already an issue with a TSB??? We traded in an Explorer that was less than a year old because of repeated problems. This is starting to really make me question the brand. I never have problems with my f150's though.
Old 9/16/14, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ford makes nice cars with cheap parts. This is well know, just look at the freaking interior on a premium.
Old 9/16/14, 01:27 PM

Today I just took it back for the second time because of this problem, the first time they said they changed it and installed new heat shield and the noise got even worse, if I take it back one more time I swear I'm gna lemon it and get my money back and get a 2015 f150 instead...
Old 9/16/14, 06:41 PM
GT Member

I've had mine replaced three times. The ones with the heat shield only lasted a few months before they began creaking again Still have the issue, but going the lemon law route at this point (for this and many other things)
Old 9/19/14, 03:52 PM
OX1

Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
I've had mine replaced three times. The ones with the heat shield only lasted a few months before they began creaking again Still have the issue, but going the lemon law route at this point (for this and many other things)
Well, that's not good news, especially since I spent all that time to add the shields on mine.
Old 9/22/14, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by OX1
Well, that's not good news, especially since I spent all that time to add the shields on mine.
I just had my rear sway bar links replaced at 35K last week. I also reported the front end noise over bumps and slow speeds. dealer could NOT replicate (of course) Should I have insisted they do the update per the TSB's for the Lower control arms? the noise seems to go away when warmed up.....
Old 9/24/14, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you turn your volume up you can hear the grunt. It's much louder in person and can easily be heard when driving. Need a go pro or something to stick under the hood so I can get a better sound.

It also made this horrendous popping sound over the first speed bump .

Last edited by dave07; 9/24/14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 9/25/14, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dave07
http://youtu.be/1-qEcbU-8Qk

If you turn your volume up you can hear the grunt. It's much louder in person and can easily be heard when driving. Need a go pro or something to stick under the hood so I can get a better sound.

It also made this horrendous popping sound over the first speed bump .
Yeah, the pop is related (mine was doing that the first time they were replaced). You had much better luck recording it than I have :P Mine sounds decently loud in the cabin, but my phone doesn't pick it up. I also tried pushing down on the front of the car to get it bouncing a bit but that doesn't replicate the noise.

I've also tried putting my gopro in front of and behind the wheel to pick it up, but you couldn't really hear it. We have some nice weather this week, going to try another go at recording it. I might try driving over a mic I put on the driveway at the speedbump. Might be too much engine noise though?
Old 9/26/14, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, the pop is related (mine was doing that the first time they were replaced). You had much better luck recording it than I have :P Mine sounds decently loud in the cabin, but my phone doesn't pick it up. I also tried pushing down on the front of the car to get it bouncing a bit but that doesn't replicate the noise.

I've also tried putting my gopro in front of and behind the wheel to pick it up, but you couldn't really hear it. We have some nice weather this week, going to try another go at recording it. I might try driving over a mic I put on the driveway at the speedbump. Might be too much engine noise though?
I'm surprised your go pro didn't pick it up. I wonder if you could put it in the engine bay by the LCA?
Old 9/26/14, 05:42 PM
GT Member

Tried a few times today, this was the best I could get:

Also put a gopro on the ground at the speed bump and drove over it. There was too much noise to hear anything. The video above is with my Hero 3 Black, the ground recording was with my Hero 2. Might see if the Hero 3 picks up audio better from the ground

Not sure where I could safely put the gopro in the engine bay to record from there...also I would think the engine noise might drown it out

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 9/26/14 at 05:44 PM.
Old 9/28/14, 08:41 AM

I hear you all! My 2014 pre. convertible (V6) is exhibiting this creaking/knocking sound from Front Left when going over speed bumps or slower over a curb or a depression/bump with the left side . I plan to take it to dealer this week it having just started the noise this week. 5800 miles are on odometer. Heres hoping its not an ordeal with the dealer!
Thanks
Old 9/28/14, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Tried a few times today, this was the best I could get:
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhQ0kTVJZg

Also put a gopro on the ground at the speed bump and drove over it. There was too much noise to hear anything. The video above is with my Hero 3 Black, the ground recording was with my Hero 2. Might see if the Hero 3 picks up audio better from the ground

Not sure where I could safely put the gopro in the engine bay to record from there...also I would think the engine noise might drown it out
It sounds like a pop in the video more than a creak.
Old 9/28/14, 07:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dave07
It sounds like a pop in the video more than a creak.
That pop noise is something else I think, I need to pay more attention to where that's coming from (I think it might be something I'm doing).

Edit: Yep that pop is from when I release the brake quickly

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 9/29/14 at 07:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension noise in front when going over bumps?