Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Rear axle noise

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/12, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle noise

My new 13 GT has a good amount of rear axle noise. I was looking around on the forums and it looks like some of the 3.73 cars have noise and were unable to get it fixed by the dealer. Its not obnoxious by any means but don't expect this with a car with 1000 miles on it.

Should I take it in?
Old 6/17/12, 09:52 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of "rear axle noise"???
Old 6/17/12, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Is it a whine? Mine has a super obnoxious whine at about 80-82 MPH. If you speed up or slow down, it goes away. I'm gonna mention it at the next service, but I have doubts they'll be able to do anything. It really is annoying, though.
Old 6/17/12, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
Is it a whine? Mine has a super obnoxious whine at about 80-82 MPH. If you speed up or slow down, it goes away. I'm gonna mention it at the next service, but I have doubts they'll be able to do anything. It really is annoying, though.
I have this but from 60-75mph. Going into the dealer on Monday for inspection.
Old 6/17/12, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Something could be wrong with the gears. They weren't machined properly, etc. Also could just need new rear end fluid. Being a 2013 I wouldn't think so but you never know. Keep us posted.
Old 6/18/12, 07:22 AM

I just dropped my '13 GT off at the dealer, bad noises coming from the rear end. I also have 3.73's. Mine is not a whine, but a clanking sound. Almost sounds like brake pads are stuck, but feels like differential clutches. Only 1500 miles! I'm waiting to hear the diagnosis from the dealer.
Old 6/18/12, 09:02 AM

Just took the dealer service manager for a ride, took him about 1/2 a second when I got to 70mph to say "that's a ring and pinion!"...so they are replacing that now.
Old 6/18/12, 10:59 AM

Just talked with the dealer, said I have a bad pinion flange and needs to be replaced. Only 1500 miles...... Should be fixed in a couple days.
Old 6/22/12, 07:33 PM

Just a quick update and wondering if anyone else had rear differiantal problems on a '13 GT with 3.73. Its been just about a week and my car is still at the dealer. They replaced the pinion flange, didn't fix the problem. Next they replaced the ring and pinion, still not fixed. Now they are replacing the "rear chuck" and the car should be ready next wednesday (10 days!). The dealer said they been talking to the ford engineers to troubleshoot the problem and this should fix it. I'm losing confidence....
Old 6/22/12, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CMNHOME
Just a quick update and wondering if anyone else had rear differiantal problems on a '13 GT with 3.73. Its been just about a week and my car is still at the dealer. They replaced the pinion flange, didn't fix the problem. Next they replaced the ring and pinion, still not fixed. Now they are replacing the "rear chuck" and the car should be ready next wednesday (10 days!). The dealer said they been talking to the ford engineers to troubleshoot the problem and this should fix it. I'm losing confidence....
I had the same problem with my 2011 GT 6 speed with 3.73. They did all of what you mentioned and not resolved. then they replaced it with a new complete axle, end to end. much improved, but not perfect. I do think it is some kind of harmonics being set up with this ratio. hardly noticeable now,
Old 6/22/12, 08:53 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Here is a shop Manual PDF. It has a Diagnosis section for various Rear Axle Issues.

Kc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Driveline.pdf (718.7 KB, 3561 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 6/22/12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 6/23/12, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Here is a shop Manual PDF. It has a Diagnosis section for various Rear Axle Issues.

Kc
Thanks Kc. This is helpful and now I have an idea of the steps the dealer is taking to resolve my issue.
Old 6/29/12, 06:17 PM

Saga continues.... I picked up my car from the dealer after they installed the pinion flange, new diff "chuck" and new axle bearings. I take it out on the highway and now I'm getting a high frequence vibration at 70+ mph and the rear end is making a grinding noise that can be heard when coasting arond 20 mph or less. Took the car back, dealer "re-indexed" the driveshaft - this fixed the vibration but noise still exists. Service manager said the noise is normal and will go away after 500 miles, said the clutches need to be lubed. Really? I don't buy it. Alreadcy put 270 miles and no difference with noise.
Old 6/29/12, 09:03 PM

Mine is fixed. Replaced the ring and pinion, as well as the carrier bearings. Still has some "torsen noise" but no whine
Old 7/2/12, 10:43 AM

I talked with Ford today and they offered me a free Ford extended warranty to 75k miles. Said they wanted me to feel "safe" with my new mustang.

The axle noise is still there... Not sure what is considered "normal"? Sounds like clutches... All I know is there was no noise until the chuck was replaced. Other than that, the car is running great.
Old 7/10/12, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pulled this from another posting...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...squeaking.html
Old 7/10/12, 03:43 PM
GT Member

This ended up being my issue. If you have a rotational squealing/squeaking noise coming from your rear axle, make the suggestion that they check the axle flanges. Might save a lot of time and headache! Nine months spent trying to pinpoint this issue!
Old 7/11/12, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Rear gear noise could be due to tons of things, bad gear, improper install, fluid, etc..etc.. a good gear and good install should not make any noise. When I had my 11 camaro, I first spent 600 for richmond gears since it was the cheapest. Gear whine was definitely there. Sold it then I went with lingenfelter which is produced by the same company that make factory gears and guess what? ZERO noise!! Absolutely nothing but my tires screeching. That's why I am so picky when it come to gears but more importantly gear installer. Don't matter if you are spending $1k or $200 for gear install. Inexperienced installer will cause your gear to whine and blame it on the gear or you most of the times LOL.
Old 11/30/12, 05:52 PM

'13 with rear end noise/whine

I, too, have a new '13 Mustang convertible that recently developed a whine; mine has 3800 miles. We first noticed a "whine" when decelerating just after taking it out for a few 0-60 runs to try out the track app. After a few more trips, the whine has increased in volume. I took it to our local Ford dealership (however I bought the car out of state), and they basically blew me off. They said things like "convertibles will have more noise" and that "there are lots of gears that need to break in." I told them it didn't make the noise initially but started recently.

I plan to put the car away for the winter since I live in western PA. The last thing I want is to have the car spending time in a garage when the weather breaks, so I am doing as much research on this topic as possible now. If anyone has any suggestions, has had the same or similar situation, or knows of any Ford tech bulletins on this topic, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 12/3/12, 06:04 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 03dakrt
My new 13 GT has a good amount of rear axle noise...Should I take it in?
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteGT
...Mine has a super obnoxious whine at about 80-82 MPH...
Originally Posted by 06GT
I have this but from 60-75mph. Going into the dealer on Monday for inspection.
Hi guys,

I also recommend you have these vehicles diagnosed at your Ford dealer. Your Service Manager is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any warranty, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Also, any repairs performed at your dealer will come with a 12 months or 12,000 mile warranty. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to PM me.

Originally Posted by CMNHOME
Saga continues.... I picked up my car from the dealer after they installed the pinion flange, new diff "chuck" and new axle bearings...Alreadcy put 270 miles and no difference with noise.
Originally Posted by 06GT
Mine is fixed. Replaced the ring and pinion, as well as the carrier bearings. Still has some "torsen noise" but no whine
Originally Posted by steinfam
I, too, have a new '13 Mustang convertible that recently developed a whine; mine has 3800 miles...
I’d like to escalate this for all of you. Please PM me with your VIN, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and dealer so I can escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Warm Regards,
Andrea

Quick Reply: Rear axle noise