Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Pinion seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/15, 06:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pinion seal leaking

So today I had my car on the lift at the shop. I was looking around to see if there was something loose or a broken stud somewhere like the sway bar or endlinks. I didn't find anything that would contribute to the creaking or the popping up front. Good news I guess.

Here's the bad news. I found that my pinion seal was leaking and running down the rear diff housing. It was also slinging onto the exhaust pipes and up onto the upper control arm. By the time I got back to the house and called the numbers for Germany they were closed so I have to call monday to see about getting in to get it fixed. I'm also going to attempt to get them to do the front LCA TSB fix as well since that might be the fix to the front suspension growns.

There is also a lot of play in my driveshaft. Side to side rotation. I don't know how much slack in acceptable for that but it seems like a lot in my opinion. I'm going to have them check that out as well.
Old 3/28/15, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
So today I had my car on the lift at the shop. I was looking around to see if there was something loose or a broken stud somewhere like the sway bar or endlinks. I didn't find anything that would contribute to the creaking or the popping up front. Good news I guess.

Here's the bad news. I found that my pinion seal was leaking and running down the rear diff housing. It was also slinging onto the exhaust pipes and up onto the upper control arm. By the time I got back to the house and called the numbers for Germany they were closed so I have to call monday to see about getting in to get it fixed. I'm also going to attempt to get them to do the front LCA TSB fix as well since that might be the fix to the front suspension growns.

There is also a lot of play in my driveshaft. Side to side rotation. I don't know how much slack in acceptable for that but it seems like a lot in my opinion. I'm going to have them check that out as well.
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-shock-534309/

Check out my thread. Let me know what the dealership says. I'm still waiting until I can make an appointment with the dealership.
Old 3/29/15, 04:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

This is a common problem it seems. The problem is that I'm in Germany and it's not like they see Mustangs all the time here. I have gone to one dealership and wasn't impressed at all and won't go back there. I'm going to try another one and see if it's any better.
Old 3/30/15, 02:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Heading a recommended service garage here that's not over an hour away. We will see how it pans out.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 3/30/15 at 02:21 AM.
Old 3/30/15, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So I made it to the dealership and talked at length with the service manager. We went for a ride, put the car up on the lift. He's going to order the parts for the LCAs. They are also going to check all the bolts on the K member and radiator support. They want to see if that will fix the popping noises. They are also ordering the sway bar end links front and back.

2nd thing is they are going to see if they can do anything about the paint bubbling on the trunk lid and possibly the hood edges. They took pictures and are going to email me with the results and see what corporate says about the paint. Progress finally and I'm happy.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 3/30/15 at 12:17 PM.
Old 3/30/15, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

What did they say about the pinion seal? I would think the seal is an easy fix!
Old 3/31/15, 07:59 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So I made it to the dealership and talked at length with the service manager. We went for a ride, put the car up on the lift. He's going to order the parts for the LCAs. They are also going to check all the bolts on the K member and radiator support. They want to see if that will fix the popping noises. They are also ordering the sway bar end links front and back.

2nd thing is they are going to see if they can do anything about the paint bubbling on the trunk lid and possibly the hood edges. They took pictures and are going to email me with the results and see what corporate says about the paint. Progress finally and I'm happy.
That's great, Stevedotmil! Thank you for the update!

Deysha
Old 3/31/15, 04:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I will update again once I get something back from them. The tech is a Master certified tech that all the Mustangs go to. He told me in all the hundreds of Mustangs he's seen he has never had the sounds coming from the front like my car has. Good thing I'm able to bring it in as I'm coming up on 36K really fast.
Old 4/3/15, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your sound could be bad factory Strut Mounts buddy!
Old 4/4/15, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks. I will mention that when it goes back.
Old 4/9/15, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Called to get an update and the parts haven't come in yet. Sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes 3 months.......not what I wanted to hear.
Old 5/2/15, 12:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Still no update to getting the parts in so the dealership can get the work done. They better hope they get them fast because I'm selling the car so the next guy will have to take it over there to get the stuff fixed.
Old 5/5/15, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I finally got an update from the Service Manager here. He actually had to apologize because they actually contacted the wrong person. The parts should be here next week.

I'm in the process of selling my car but since I'm in Germany the warranty work wouldn't be honored to them because they are German. I'm guessing that it would be because I didn't have a choice in the matter of bringing my car here and having to have warranty work done. So alas I have to wait until the warranty work is complete before I can sell my car. This is fine with me because I am good friends with the guy buying my car and wouldn't want to let him have to the car only to find out that he couldn't get the work done to fix the car for free.
Old 5/5/15, 06:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I finally got an update from the Service Manager here. He actually had to apologize because they actually contacted the wrong person. The parts should be here next week.

I'm in the process of selling my car but since I'm in Germany the warranty work wouldn't be honored to them because they are German. I'm guessing that it would be because I didn't have a choice in the matter of bringing my car here and having to have warranty work done. So alas I have to wait until the warranty work is complete before I can sell my car. This is fine with me because I am good friends with the guy buying my car and wouldn't want to let him have to the car only to find out that he couldn't get the work done to fix the car for free.
Thanks for the update, Stevedotmil.

Deysha
Old 5/14/15, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Dropped her off yesterday morning and picked her up yesterday evening. Sold her while I was waiting. She goes to her new home tomorrow. Drives like she's new. Sad to see her go but I am seriously thinking about picking up a 50th GT in Triple Yellow. Decisions, decisions.....
Old 5/15/15, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Dropped her off yesterday morning and picked her up yesterday evening. Sold her while I was waiting. She goes to her new home tomorrow. Drives like she's new. Sad to see her go but I am seriously thinking about picking up a 50th GT in Triple Yellow. Decisions, decisions.....
So in the end, what made you get rid of the car?
Old 5/15/15, 10:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Retirement. And I didn't want to spend the 2K to have it shipped back to the states from here. The Army only ships one car at their expense. It was going to a friend and fellow forum member who is a German so she's in good hands.
Old 5/18/15, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
im having the same problem