Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Paint bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/12, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint bubbling.

I was closing the hood after checking my oil and I noticed that at the front of my hood the paint looks to be bubbling or blistering and starting to flake away. Something like this should be covered under warranty correct? If they do cover it what's the normal course of action? Repaint the entire hood? Or just the section that's being affected. It's an 11 bought in Oct of 10. Everything else is flawless on the car besides this that I discovered yesterday. I spoke with the local dealer yesterday to have it brought in and they said they have to take pictures and see if Ford will cover the work.
Old 1/28/12, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TM4686
I was closing the hood after checking my oil and I noticed that at the front of my hood the paint looks to be bubbling or blistering and starting to flake away. Something like this should be covered under warranty correct? If they do cover it what's the normal course of action? Repaint the entire hood? Or just the section that's being affected. It's an 11 bought in Oct of 10. Everything else is flawless on the car besides this that I discovered yesterday. I spoke with the local dealer yesterday to have it brought in and they said they have to take pictures and see if Ford will cover the work.
Same thing happened to my '08. The dealer took pics, sent them to Ford, and Ford approved painting the underside of the hood.

The problem is iron contamination in the Ecoat or something similar causing corrosion.
Old 1/28/12, 01:48 PM

Why the underside? It's on top of my hood. Did they Repaint the entire hood for you on top?
Old 1/28/12, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Either side, it's covered if it's bubbling if your warranty is still in effect.

There's a whole legion of this very issue with the Mustang Aluminum hoods. Legion. And mine's one of them... but I'm not warrantied.

S'ok. I knew that anyway. Was hopin' I'd not be one of them. Meh. She'll need the entire front redone with chips and scrapes, as she's a daily, so it'll happen then.

It won't actually hurt the hood itself, being aluminum, for a very VERY long time, unless you really try to ruin it by getting it to perforate. Which it won't without a lot of work on your part.
Old 1/29/12, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Why the underside? It's on top of my hood. Did they Repaint the entire hood for you on top?
If it's on the top, then Ford should paint the top of the hood. If they paint it, make sure a good body shop does it and not with single stage paint (Base coat / Clear coat combined). Make sure it's base coat - clear coat.

Mine bubbled on the bottom front seam. Not on the top.
Old 1/29/12, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the same issue but more near the cowl. Haven't scheduled to have it fixed yet.
Old 1/30/12, 11:44 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi TM4686,

I’d like to escalate this for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info.

Deysha
Old 1/31/12, 10:29 AM

Update: they denied my claim because I've got 39,000 miles and the basic warranty is up at 36,000. To say I'm disappointed in Ford is an understatement. Things such as this is what drives people away.
Old 1/31/12, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would have thought that would be covered under the paint warranty. Isn't it 5 yr/50,000 miles....or something like that.

As for the normal warranty mileage.....they have to have an end somewhere. If they let one thing slide over the mileage, then the next one is only a couple more miles....then a couple more....and it snowballs until the company cannot enforce the warranty rules anymore.
Old 2/2/12, 06:26 AM

Update: they denied my claim because I've got 39,000 miles and the basic warranty is up at 36,000.
I sent you a PM, TM4686.

Deysha
Old 2/2/12, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Different car but look at all of Crown Victorias that were painted white where the paint pops off. How in the world did Ford not fix the problem from the year 2000 till now?
Old 2/2/12, 12:39 PM
GT Member

sorry to say but i am having the same issue. mine has not started flaking away but bubbling has started to occur on the stock hood. however mine is a 2005 with 85K miles on it so i'm guessing there's not much I can do...house first, new paintjob second, then hopefully never happens again.
Old 3/20/12, 12:59 PM

I've had my 2011 less than a year, noticed bubbling over passenger headlight while washing. Took car to dealer, Ford denied coverage because there is no perferation. What a crock, less than a year old and told I or my insurance has to fix. Owned Ford products for 20 yrs. don't know if I will again. BTW, this is a new experience for me as all my other Ford products were GREAT.
Old 3/20/12, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kx77
I've had my 2011 less than a year, noticed bubbling over passenger headlight while washing. Took car to dealer, Ford denied coverage because there is no perferation. What a crock, less than a year old and told I or my insurance has to fix. Owned Ford products for 20 yrs. don't know if I will again. BTW, this is a new experience for me as all my other Ford products were GREAT.
I'm having the same issue. They won't do it. I reached out to Deysha but so far nothing. Really frustrating.
Old 3/20/12, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kx77
Hi kx77,

Please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Originally Posted by Blackbird.
I'm having the same issue. They won't do it. I reached out to Deysha but so far nothing. Really frustrating.
Blackbird, the body shop was supposed to call you to make an appointment. Did they ever?

Deysha
Old 3/20/12, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have paint blistering along the leading edge of my Boss's hood. It looks like the same corrosion issues we had on our 2006 Mustang. I noticed this shortly after taking delivery and haven't reported it yet. The 2006's hood was repaired under warranty. However, the corrosion returned with a vengeance soon after the 3/36 warranty expired and it was nolonger Ford's issue. I don't want the same happening with my Boss.
Old 3/21/12, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Blackbird, the body shop was supposed to call you to make an appointment. Did they ever?

Deysha
No they did not.
Old 3/21/12, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
I have paint blistering along the leading edge of my Boss's hood. It looks like the same corrosion issues we had on our 2006 Mustang. I noticed this shortly after taking delivery and haven't reported it yet. The 2006's hood was repaired under warranty. However, the corrosion returned with a vengeance soon after the 3/36 warranty expired and it was nolonger Ford's issue. I don't want the same happening with my Boss.
SoFlaBoss, please don't wait to bring it in. Let me know if you need me to escalate it for you.

No they did not.
Please make an appointment with them, Blackbird. and PM me so I can reopen your case.

Deysha
Old 3/21/12, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Please make an appointment with them, Blackbird. and PM me so I can reopen your case.

Deysha
Will do but what if they give me crap that ford had already decided not to authorize the work?
Old 3/21/12, 12:32 PM

Will do but what if they give me crap that ford had already decided not to authorize the work?
This is where the escalation will help.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Paint bubbling.