Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Oil Leak on 2014.5 Mustang GT with Track Package

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/16, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak on 2014.5 Mustang GT with Track Package

I have an oil leaking somewhere on the driver side of the engine. This began after my last oil change. I have not driven the vehicle much since and have only accumulated 200 miles. It is not a gusher, but more of a faint ooze, but I cannot find the source. The oil does show on the left front control arm and on the left side of the oil pan. I check the engine oil level and found it down about 1/4 from the full mark on the dip stick. Has anyone experienced this? What are some of the common causes? The engine is stock with a 91 octane tune and a CAI. I have never approached the red line and usually never exceed 4400 RPM. This has me concerned.
Old 7/17/16, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Doesn't sound like something I've read about before - dealer time, I'd say.

Also, what is a 2014.5 Mustang?
Old 7/17/16, 12:57 PM
V6 Member

Hi Kyle,

That is the model year of the vehicle. I am told there was some sort of improvement made during the last few months of the production run and I have one of those. Maybe 2014 1/2 is a better way to express it. I quite agree it's time to visit the dealership in Platte City since they seem to be the most friendly toward reasonable mods. I just hope it is a simple fix and not a gasket or worse. Thanks for your reply!
Old 7/17/16, 04:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Tale of Two 'stangs
Hi Kyle,

That is the model year of the vehicle. I am told there was some sort of improvement made during the last few months of the production run and I have one of those. Maybe 2014 1/2 is a better way to express it. I quite agree it's time to visit the dealership in Platte City since they seem to be the most friendly toward reasonable mods. I just hope it is a simple fix and not a gasket or worse. Thanks for your reply!
Interesting. All I can find about it online is that lots of media were predicting the S550 would come out as a "2014 1/2" model as a tribute to the 1964 1/2 model, which didn't end up happening. Would love to know what the deal is with yours!
Old 7/18/16, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Sounds like just a late-build '14.
I'd stop calling it a 2014.5 which just sounds weird, and not a real item.

As far as the oil leak, chances are the oil filter is loose if it's from that side of the engine.
Possible double-gasket situation, but that usually results in oil pouring out, not dripping slowly.
Old 7/18/16, 07:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Clean the entire area well and see if it still leaks. Might have just made a mess during the change, and it was never cleaned.
Old 7/18/16, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Interesting. All I can find about it online is that lots of media were predicting the S550 would come out as a "2014 1/2" model as a tribute to the 1964 1/2 model, which didn't end up happening. Would love to know what the deal is with yours!
Actually, the reason I mentioned it was a 2014.5 is because I want to get as specific as I could to what I had. I wasn't sure if this was a common issue or just my normal bad luck. I am not sure of the differences, if any, from the earlier builds. However, George at Brenspeed did run through the positives about my vehicle and what made it different. I think all of the improvements are in the power train as it looks no different from most S550's GT with TP.

Originally Posted by Gabe
As I mentioned to Kyle, I only provided that information for accuracy of the build. Yes, it is a late build 2014...and Ford called it a 2014.5...normally I just say 2014...honest, see my other posts.

As far as the oil leak, chances are the oil filter is loose if it's from that side of the engine.
Possible double-gasket situation, but that usually results in oil pouring out, not dripping slowly.
Gabe, thank you. That was exactly the information I was looking for. The leak is a bit more of an ooze. After I wipe most of it off there was no new leakage, but I will have it checked by the dealership.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Clean the entire area well and see if it still leaks. Might have just made a mess during the change, and it was never cleaned.
Yes, I did clean what I could reach. As I mentioned to Gabe, the leakage seems to have stopped for now. I will have in on the rack by Wednesday. I hope it was just as you suggest...mess made during the last oil change.
Old 7/18/16, 10:23 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Since you said it seems to have gone way after wiping it off, it was probably just residual oil spilled during the oil change. I use a ton of paper shop towels to try and contain the mess when I remove the oil filter.

No harm in having it checked, just to be safe.
Old 7/20/16, 11:59 AM
V6 Member

Update

The 2014 was put on the rack at the Ford Dealer and the service technician said there is no cause for concern. No active leak or a leak at anytime. Just the residual mess from the last oil change. I am so glad it's nothing of consequence.
Old 7/23/16, 07:38 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Tale of Two 'stangs
Hi Kyle,

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Mine too is billed as a 2014.5 or 2014 1/2. Those are the ones that can take the Ford Racing Trackey tune. Built after 7/2013. There was some changes made while Ford did their July 2013 shutdown at the Mustang plant. I only know this because I ordered my car before the shutdown and had to wait much longer than normal at the time to get the car in the queue for build. Was worth the wait.

So these cars should be the real 50th anniversary cars. Right??

Very glad to hear that the leak was from a sloppy tech...
The following users liked this post: