Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise in the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/14, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eastexsteve
Or, if you can't get it fixed under warranty, this may be the way to go:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=186
Poly bushings are no good in freezing temps. I had put lubed rear lca on my 05 and they were great during the summer however, in -20 weather I'd go over a bump and it would sound like the whole rear end was being torn from the car. They're no longer on the car.
Old 2/19/14, 09:42 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by jim010
Count me in here. I went and got the sway bar replaced last spring under warranty. It started as a light creaking and developed into a bad clunking. And now it has started creaking again.

Taking it in again for this as well as for a problem with Sync. Is there a TSB for this?
Your service manager is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, TSBs, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 4/6/14, 03:09 PM
MLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be visiting the dealership soon. My wife's 2012 GT with 17.5k miles is now making a clunking noise in the rear end. The sway bar has up-down play and this video demonstrates the noise when I bang on it with my hand. Left link bushing is worse than the right but they are both loose and rattling at the sway bar end (definitely not at the other end). Applying heat to the link bushings helps tighten/quiet things up, but that is temporary at best.

At 1,500 miles the pinion bearing went out, and now this. The car sounds like it is falling apart again. Not confidence inspiring.

Old 4/6/14, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

I have a @01@ GT and had the same problem in the rear sway bar. They were going to replace the bushings but couldn't get them to work right so I got a new sway bar st no charge . I noticed it is a thicker sway bar than what was on it. I asked them about it and they told me that they have a New sway bar for the replacement.
Old 4/8/14, 02:06 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by MLM
I will be visiting the dealership soon. My wife's 2012 GT with 17.5k miles is now making a clunking noise in the rear end. The sway bar has up-down play and this video demonstrates the noise when I bang on it with my hand. Left link bushing is worse than the right but they are both loose and rattling at the sway bar end (definitely not at the other end). Applying heat to the link bushings helps tighten/quiet things up, but that is temporary at best.

At 1,500 miles the pinion bearing went out, and now this. The car sounds like it is falling apart again. Not confidence inspiring.
Originally Posted by Tominkc
I have a @01@ GT and had the same problem in the rear sway bar. They were going to replace the bushings but couldn't get them to work right so I got a new sway bar st no charge . I noticed it is a thicker sway bar than what was on it. I asked them about it and they told me that they have a New sway bar for the replacement.
Glad to learn you guys are working with your dealers. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 4/10/14, 05:16 PM
MLM

Originally Posted by MLM

UPDATE: Dealer replaced left rear sway bar link only under warranty (took a day and a half because they did a wall job on day one). Noise is gone, but I felt play in the right link so I won't be surprised if that one goes in the next few months. In the meantime the dealer was not able to reproduce a separate chirping noise in the driveshaft, so I will be scheduling another appointment and taking the tech for a test drive next time.
Old 4/13/14, 03:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if there was any anti friction additive added to the rear end fluid
Old 4/15/14, 01:55 PM
MLM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I wonder if there was any anti friction additive added to the rear end fluid

They would have replaced the fluid when they replaced the pinion and gears. Do you think lack of anti-friction fluid would cause the chirping? The noise is only when the vehicle is cold and generally when shifting gears (no load on the driveshaft). After a few hundred yards of driving the noise goes away, which is making it hard to diagnose. The colder it is, the louder the noise and the longer it lasts. I still have not had a chance to take it back to the dealer.
Old 9/15/14, 05:38 AM

Very Close!

My wife has the 2012 V6 Premium manual trans. She loves it. Heading in the a.m. to Herb Chambers Ford for appointment. Bad clunking what sounds like rear drivers side. I'm right at 35,011 miles! talk about close! used to hear a slight knock earlier, glad I found this forum! Will let you folks know how I make out!
Old 9/22/14, 06:32 PM

Smile ALL SET!!! (for now)

Went to Herb Chambers Ford. Went better than I expected, they took me in at 10:15 am and replaced BOTH sway bar links and had me back on the road by 12:20 pm. The car doesn't make a sound now and handles like new. Ed was the service rep and treated me well. Wicked happy. If and when this problem occurs again I'll buy the after-market fix, but for now I'm good!
Old 9/26/14, 01:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I'm subbed so the Service Writer at my dealer can read this thread. She said she hasn't heard of this problem before. She checked for a TSB, but didn't find one. Hope his helps as the Wifey's car sounds like it's 40 years old.
Old 9/26/14, 07:24 PM

2011 GT 5.0 55D 6M 3.73 300A Mustang. 17,500 10/13/10
Panhard bar sounds like glass.
Constant noises clutch dis-engage/engage, "constant shock going to fall out of rear" noise (new shocks installed 2013), over bumps clunk/clang noise.
Beautiful Mustang. Best ever. Needs noise help.
Deysha?
Old 9/30/14, 01:18 PM
MLM

Originally Posted by MLM
UPDATE: Dealer replaced left rear sway bar link only under warranty (took a day and a half because they did a wall job on day one). Noise is gone, but I felt play in the right link so I won't be surprised if that one goes in the next few months.
Another update: Took it back to the dealer again and they replaced the right link this time. Wish they had done both last time but at least it's done now before the warranty is up. Left side has been nice and quiet since the left link was replaced so it should be quiet on both sides now. Car only has about 21,000 miles.
Old 10/2/14, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MLM
Another update: Took it back to the dealer again and they replaced the right link this time. Wish they had done both last time but at least it's done now before the warranty is up. Left side has been nice and quiet since the left link was replaced so it should be quiet on both sides now. Car only has about 21,000 miles.
Thanks for the update Mike. This may help my cause.
Old 10/2/14, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I had some squeaking in my rear end at one point but I had to take my tail light out and replace it after I patched everything up again I never heard another squeak out of it. I still get a little rattle from the trunk but I suspect it is from the spare well cover bouncing up and down because its not fastened down.
Old 1/3/15, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
Count me in here. I went and got the sway bar replaced last spring under warranty. It started as a light creaking and developed into a bad clunking. And now it has started creaking again.

Taking it in again for this as well as for a problem with Sync. Is there a TSB for this?
I went with 2 NAPA part 2651913 ($37.99) links. They worked. The noise is gone. But the links look alot like the OEM. Made in Thailand : /. I'd go with Moog if I could do it again.
Old 1/3/15, 02:42 PM

Noise

I just change out the Ford Links with NAPA part number 2651913 (37.99 ea).
Noise is gone.

Last edited by Steve's Horse; 1/3/15 at 02:44 PM.
Old 1/7/15, 12:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Mine was really bad while we were away in October, so I thought it would be a good time to take it to the dealer. By the time we got home it was quiet as a church mouse, and hasn't squeaked since. I know it will start again someday as I'm just not that lucky.
Old 1/29/16, 07:47 PM

front/ rear end clunking noise

Originally Posted by MLM
UPDATE: Dealer replaced left rear sway bar link only under warranty (took a day and a half because they did a wall job on day one). Noise is gone, but I felt play in the right link so I won't be surprised if that one goes in the next few months. In the meantime the dealer was not able to reproduce a separate chirping noise in the driveshaft, so I will be scheduling another appointment and taking the tech for a test drive next time.
My wife's 2012 GT is now making a clunking noise in the rear end. The sway bar has up-down play and this video demonstrates the noise when I bang on it with my hand. Left link bushing is worse than the right but they are both loose and rattling at the sway bar, Is there a TSB to cover the noise from the front/mostly back end going over small bumps, transitions in the pavement? This noise started a while back but has bee growing in intensity to the point of really annoying, sounds as though something may fall off in the road....
Kevin C klcmcse at Yah00 dot c0m eight17-7two3-938six

Last edited by klcmcse@yahoo.com; 1/29/16 at 07:49 PM. Reason: http://themustangsource.com/forums/members/fordservice-111098/
Old 2/12/16, 12:32 PM

Same

I've been experience the same clunking noise from the rear going over bumpy roads, etc. Are these bushings and sway bars something that needs to be replaced due to the noise or just more of an annoyance? I've had my 2012 Mustang for almost 5 years and would rather not deal with it since I might get rid of the car in another year or so. I also noticed that over the summer and warmer weather months the noise was gone. Thanks!

Last edited by codeoverride; 2/12/16 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Noise in the rear end