Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise in the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/12, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise in the rear end

I've got a 2012, has anyone else had alot of noise in their stock rear suspension? I took it to the dealer and they said it was the bushing in the rear swAy bar. Now its louder than before. Lots of clunking and squeaking when i go over bumps of most sizes and pretty much any speed. Let me know. I know its not a safety issue but it is sooooo irritating.
Old 3/6/12, 01:19 PM
GT Member

I had that issue when turning, turned out to be the break pad was loose
Old 3/6/12, 05:38 PM

it might also be what I think is called the panhard rod; it mounts transversely to help locate the rear axle and has bushings.

Other than mentioning bushings, did your dealer actually offer to fix the issue? (replace the bushings?)
Old 3/6/12, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's your rear away bar. Loosen all bolts to sway bar. Shake sway bar and release just to get it to settle centered on it own. Tighten all bolts back up. If you can rest the rear tires on ramps so that the car is under it own weight before tightening bolts. It may take you a few attempts to get it right, but I was able to get rid of the noise completely.
Old 3/7/12, 01:43 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bluestang2187
I've got a 2012, has anyone else had alot of noise in their stock rear suspension? I took it to the dealer and they said it was the bushing in the rear swAy bar. Now its louder than before. Lots of clunking and squeaking when i go over bumps of most sizes and pretty much any speed.
I’d like to escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager of your area, bluestang2187. Once you make another appointment with your dealer, PM me with your mileage, VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 3/7/12, 04:25 PM
V6 Member

Im actually just planning on waiting it out. It started warming up in michigan today. And it didnt sound bad at all. I think the sway bar bushings must firm up a bit when it gets real cold out.
Old 3/7/12, 07:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Kouks
I had that issue when turning, turned out to be the break pad was loose
When you braked lightly did you get a chirping?!?!

That what's happening with mine and in thinking that's what it is. Going in to get it looked at aoon
Old 3/8/12, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

When you braked lightly did you get a chirping?!?!

That what's happening with mine and in thinking that's what it is. Going in to get it looked at aoon
No only when i turned to the right. However now i hear a noise from the front now when i'm breaking at slow speeds ie: to park. Not sure if thats the pads
Old 4/14/12, 04:31 PM

I've got a 2012, has anyone else had alot of noise in their stock rear suspension? I took it to the dealer and they said it was the bushing in the rear swAy bar. Now its louder than before. Lots of clunking and squeaking when i go over bumps of most sizes and pretty much any speed. Let me know. I know its not a safety issue but it is sooooo irritating.
Both my 2012 GT/CS and my wife's 2012 Pony vert make noise over bumps or seams in the road. Seems to be coming from the rear sway bar. If I hit the sway bar with the palm of my hand on the passenger side it makes a clunking sound, but not on the driver's side, both cars.

What really cheesed me off was I took my car into the dealer from whom I purchased and they couldn't duplicate the noise or find anything wrong (it's still doing it). Then they have the b*lls to charge me 100.00 labor (+ tax), which I refused to pay. I thought the warranty was 36 months bumper to bumper? I have only owned the car since sept 2011 and it has about 6000 miles on it.
Old 11/29/13, 07:42 PM

Oh yeah, I have a 2012 and I have it too! And, it is those rubber bushings. I can get under the rear of the car, grab the sway bar and shake it up and down, and duplicate the noise. I managed to turn them 90 degrees, and the noise went away a little, but not much. What's the fix? They don't look worn. Should I be replacing these already? No drivers under age 55 here. Good grief! This is like a new car!
Old 12/8/13, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2012 Mustang V6 with the handling package. With about 19,000 miles on it I started getting a clunk in the rear. Dealer duplicated the problem and replaced the complete sway bar assembly last week. 12/2/2013. Great, but what happens when the car hits 36,000 ?
Car was purchased used from this dealer in August with about 17,500 miles on it. Lease return.

I also get that vibration around 2600 rpm when decelerating in 4 or 5 gear. Dealer says it is normal. ... It may be "normal", but in my book it is NOT RIGHT!

Last edited by Hershey; 12/8/13 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Changed mileage and added when I purcchased.
Old 12/13/13, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hershey
I have a 2012 Mustang V6 with the handling package. With about 19,000 miles on it I started getting a clunk in the rear. Dealer duplicated the problem and replaced the complete sway bar assembly last week. 12/2/2013. Great, but what happens when the car hits 36,000 ?
Car was purchased used from this dealer in August with about 17,500 miles on it. Lease return.

I also get that vibration around 2600 rpm when decelerating in 4 or 5 gear. Dealer says it is normal. ... It may be "normal", but in my book it is NOT RIGHT!
Yeah, that's my question. Am I going to have to keep replacing that sway bar assembly every 20k miles? I think Ford owes us a permanent fix/remedy.

That vibration you describe sounds like the dual mass flywheel. I've been told that's "normal" too.
Old 12/13/13, 09:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eastexsteve
Oh yeah, I have a 2012 and I have it too! And, it is those rubber bushings. I can get under the rear of the car, grab the sway bar and shake it up and down, and duplicate the noise. I managed to turn them 90 degrees, and the noise went away a little, but not much. What's the fix? They don't look worn. Should I be replacing these already?
Hey eastexsteve,

Welcome to the forum! You should bring it in to your dealer and have them check it out. Your service manager is in the best position to let you know if there is any work needed, coverages, recalls, or any assistance available. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by Hershey
Welcome as well. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You’re more than welcome to bring it to a different Ford Dealer for a second opinion. Let me know if you do and what they say.

Deysha
Old 12/29/13, 07:56 AM

My 02 cents

Those noisy rear sway bar bushings seem to be a big problem. Mine does it, just like just about every other late model 'stang I've encountered with 20k miles or more. If you're like me, it's been irritating, but not irritating enough (or consistent enough) to make the time to go and battle with the local dealer over it. You would think Ford would own up and fix the problem PERMANENTLY for current 'stang owners. (I don't consider having to replace the rear sway bar assembly every 20k miles a permanent fix.)

I invite you to try and deal with your local dealer over this. (My local dealer is such a crook, I wouldn't let him work on my lawnmower.) If you can't get it replaced under warranty, that's great. But if not, this seems like a much better fix for my money.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...ybar-0513.html
Old 12/29/13, 08:38 AM

Or, if you can't get it fixed under warranty, this may be the way to go:

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=186
Old 12/30/13, 11:07 AM

Had both my sway bar link kits changed this morning, FOR THE SECOND TIME. First time after 9 months ( Dec. 2012) and 12k km and today after 26k km . My main concern is if they don't get it right this time , will I have to foot the bill when it happens after my warranty expires ?
Old 1/14/14, 08:04 AM

update

Update:
This is the fix for this problem.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=186

You can wrestle around with Ford over this and never permanently fix the problem,, or you can install these for about 115 bucks and a couple hours work with a 15mm wrench and a tube of silicon synthethic grease. And, end up with a better handling car to boot.
Old 1/20/14, 10:06 AM
V6 Member

Well.....my 2012 mustang GT was making the same noise from the rear. I took it in to the dealer and turned out to be the famous sway bar bushing. The are changing out the sway bar right now as I text. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I REALLY LIKE THE SEVICE DEPARTMENT HERE AT BOB ALLEN FORD. they are fixing the problem.

Last edited by Tominkc; 1/20/14 at 10:23 AM.
Old 1/24/14, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Update.
Well. I ended up getting a new updated sway bar. The dealer ordered nee bushings for my sway bar, but they were to big. The checked on making sure it was the right part and it was. The tech called Ford ans checked on the bushings way they were so much bigger. Ford said THST they will work. The service manager decided to just order a nee sway bar and go wit THST. The new sway bars are upgraded. So much better the the old one. Larger in Ida. It was all covered under warranty. I'm so happy. Its nice driving and not hearing the banging. Clunks and squeaking.
Old 2/18/14, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Count me in here. I went and got the sway bar replaced last spring under warranty. It started as a light creaking and developed into a bad clunking. And now it has started creaking again.

Taking it in again for this as well as for a problem with Sync. Is there a TSB for this?

Quick Reply: Noise in the rear end