Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/13, 08:00 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
AAHHHHHH CEL again! Even after the TSB was done a couple of weeks ago, the wife drove it this morning and said a "Strange light " showed up on her way to work, as soon as she described it I knew it was a CEL. Took it directly to dealer they kept it all day and came back with----- WE will have to re install the TSB procedure????? If it didn't work the first time why will it work this time??
I told them it's a bad PCM but Ford refuses to accept that it's a bad (expensive) part.
This is the 5th time in the dealer for the exact same problem.
Why do they refuse to listen to customers??
Please PM me with your dealer and best daytime number for you, Mustang259. I'll re-escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 2/6/13, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I to have had a similar issue i have a 2013 Boss 302 and the first 3 times it did this it was very cold out so i though it might be that but finally got it to the dealer and he stated there was part of the computer program missing and that there was several "codes" in the system. He stated they corrected the problem and less then a week later the same thing a flashing check engine light and it was warm out this time. Took it back again and this time no codes and they could not replicate the problem and said they could not do anything but drive the car with a computer hooked up to it. Sunday was the 5th time this flashing light happened and now they have no answers other then let them drive my car all over until it happens. This is just not my preference to turn my car over to someone else to joy ride while they hope they can replicate the issue.. Any suggestions on what i can do?
Old 2/7/13, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by harbarlv44
I to have had a similar issue i have a 2013 Boss 302 and the first 3 times it did this it was very cold out so i though it might be that but finally got it to the dealer and he stated there was part of the computer program missing and that there was several "codes" in the system. He stated they corrected the problem and less then a week later the same thing a flashing check engine light and it was warm out this time. Took it back again and this time no codes and they could not replicate the problem and said they could not do anything but drive the car with a computer hooked up to it. Sunday was the 5th time this flashing light happened and now they have no answers other then let them drive my car all over until it happens. This is just not my preference to turn my car over to someone else to joy ride while they hope they can replicate the issue.. Any suggestions on what i can do?
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager of your area as well, harbarlv44. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 2/7/13, 11:01 AM

PM Sent
Thank you
Deysha
Old 2/7/13, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford has issued another TSB 13-1-11, which just like the last one is supposed to fix the false misfire code, I have little faith at this point that the new TSB will work.
I am very tired of bringing tho car to the dealer for the same problem over and over again.
I have spoken to a Regional service rep and she advised that the new updated TSB is all they can do, unless the "PCM Fails" so they are totally unwilling to replace a part but more than willing to continue to experiment on their customer cars. It does not matter that the customer is inconvenienced and now doubts the vehicle's integrity on the road.
So at Ford, THE CUSTOMER is not right and is secondary to profit.
Very very sad and discouraging.
Old 2/7/13, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by harbarlv44
PM Sent
Thank you
Deysha
Thanks! I sent you a response, harbarlv44.

Ford has issued another TSB 13-1-11, which just like the last one is supposed to fix the false misfire code, I have little faith at this point that the new TSB will work.
I am very tired of bringing tho car to the dealer for the same problem over and over again.
Thank you for the update, Mustang259.

Deysha
Old 2/13/13, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had exactly the same problem as you, flashing CEL with engine hesitation. I went to the dealer with TSB 13-1-11 in hand. They actually didn't do the TSB because it mentioned that if there is any drivability issue that the TSB does not apply.

My car threw the following fault codes right after the misfire event:
P0300-Random/Multiple cylinder misfire (PENDING)
P0301-Cylinder 1 misfire
P0305-Cylinder 5 misfire (PENDING)
P0308-Cylinder 8 misfire (PENDING)

By the time I got to the dealer the P0300,P0305,P0308 codes were cleared because they were only pending codes.

So the dealer replaced the spark plug & coil pack on Cylinder #1. They also suggested that I may have gotten a bad tank of gas (I thought this was a bit of a stretch, but I guess it's possible).

It's been a week and the problem has not returned. Still, I think I need to give it a month or so before I'm convinced that it's gone.
Old 2/15/13, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

My experience with the CEL's has been that they are somewhat random, time is not the denominator but you can look for things to occur at around 500-700 miles or 1300-1600 miles after each event or after the corrections made by the dealer, including the TSB procedures.
The most important thing is to get each occurrence documented at the dealer and get Ford Customer service involved, while I am glad to talk to the Ford Cust Serv reps I honestly wish I did not need to. BTW, they are very nice people doing a very tough job.
I am scheduled to go back for a separate issue and will also have the latest TSB installed with a relearn at 6k rpm. I really hope this fixes the problem.
Old 2/15/13, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mfc133
I just had exactly the same problem as you, flashing CEL with engine hesitation. I went to the dealer with TSB 13-1-11 in hand. They actually didn't do the TSB because it mentioned that if there is any drivability issue that the TSB does not apply.

My car threw the following fault codes right after the misfire event:
P0300-Random/Multiple cylinder misfire (PENDING)
P0301-Cylinder 1 misfire
P0305-Cylinder 5 misfire (PENDING)
P0308-Cylinder 8 misfire (PENDING)

By the time I got to the dealer the P0300,P0305,P0308 codes were cleared because they were only pending codes.

So the dealer replaced the spark plug & coil pack on Cylinder #1. They also suggested that I may have gotten a bad tank of gas (I thought this was a bit of a stretch, but I guess it's possible).

It's been a week and the problem has not returned. Still, I think I need to give it a month or so before I'm convinced that it's gone.
You should also let me escalate this for you, mfc133.

My experience with the CEL's has been that they are somewhat random, time is not the denominator but you can look for things to occur at around 500-700 miles or 1300-1600 miles after each event or after the corrections made by the dealer, including the TSB procedures.
The most important thing is to get each occurrence documented at the dealer and get Ford Customer service involved, while I am glad to talk to the Ford Cust Serv reps I honestly wish I did not need to. BTW, they are very nice people doing a very tough job.
I am scheduled to go back for a separate issue and will also have the latest TSB installed with a relearn at 6k rpm. I really hope this fixes the problem.
Thanks for the suport, Mustang259!

Deysha
Old 2/15/13, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
If the car needs to go back in for this issue I will certainly take you up on that. Thanks again for helping us out Deysha.
Old 2/21/13, 09:30 AM

If the car needs to go back in for this issue I will certainly take you up on that. Thanks again for helping us out Deysha.
You're very welcome, mfc133!

Deysha
Old 2/26/13, 04:56 PM

Mine too. Upon the first few miles of my 820 mile drive back from Daytona Beach, my 2013 GT 6 spd. starting running really rough with barely any power. The check engine light came on. I stopped at a traffic light, it straightened itself out, and performed fine for the next 800 miles.
Old 2/27/13, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Deysha
Misfire came back this morning merging onto highway. Lasted 30-45 seconds. Logged P0303 pending fault code.

Deysha, I will send you a PM shortly.
Old 2/28/13, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Darrell Lee
Mine too. Upon the first few miles of my 820 mile drive back from Daytona Beach, my 2013 GT 6 spd. starting running really rough with barely any power. The check engine light came on. I stopped at a traffic light, it straightened itself out, and performed fine for the next 800 miles.
Welcome to the forum, Darrell Lee. Let me get this escalated for you as well. Please, make an appointment and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Misfire came back this morning merging onto highway. Lasted 30-45 seconds. Logged P0303 pending fault code.

Deysha, I will send you a PM shortly.
Thanks, mfc133. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 3/2/13, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Well the latest TSB for the CEL, DID NOT WORK again.
This is the 6th time in a little over 4000 miles altogether.
I am no longer accepting more TSB nonsense, it is time to start replacing parts.
This is really getting old....
Old 3/2/13, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I hear ya, just got my car back from it's 3rd visit on this issue.

I think this is something Ford doesn't quite have a handle on yet. The tech spent two days working with Ford's support line and they couldn't get anywhere. They're sending the dealer diagnostic equipment to hook up to my car to try and determine what's causing it.

I have to give my dealer credit though, they're doing what they can and giving me a loaner car while they have mine.
Old 3/3/13, 10:09 AM

Is there any info on this being all 2013 GTs with manual trans? Does anybody know what kind of numbers we are seeing this happening to? I am going out to my car now and put it in engineering mode to see if it has any codes stored. I never recall seeing the CEL come on at all just curious. Bought it 10/20/12 only have 600 miles on it. I will report back with my findings.
Old 3/5/13, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stew5.0
Is there any info on this being all 2013 GTs with manual trans? Does anybody know what kind of numbers we are seeing this happening to? I am going out to my car now and put it in engineering mode to see if it has any codes stored. I never recall seeing the CEL come on at all just curious. Bought it 10/20/12 only have 600 miles on it. I will report back with my findings.
I'd bet this problem affects every 2013 GT with manual. But I think it needs a very specific set of circumstances to trigger (certain RPM,Load,Coolant temp, etc.), that most people don't normally encounter it.

Also, you probably won't see any codes unless you witnessed your CEL blinking. And even then, they usually get stored only as 'Pending' codes so they don't last long.
Old 3/5/13, 04:55 PM

I am up to 5 times now that mine has started running rough with CEL. I doubt temp, RPM or anything like that contributes. It has happened to me at 70 degrees at idle in Florida, and at 70 MPH at 30 degrees in northern Va. It has happened immediately upon start as well. I did notice when it happened at 70 MPH that the air/fuel gauge jumped from 14/1 to 20/1 when misfiring.
Old 3/6/13, 09:51 AM

Well the latest TSB for the CEL, DID NOT WORK again.
This is the 6th time in a little over 4000 miles altogether.
I am no longer accepting more TSB nonsense, it is time to start replacing parts.
This is really getting old....
I understand, Mustang259. Please make sure your CSM is aware of this.

I hear ya, just got my car back from it's 3rd visit on this issue.

I think this is something Ford doesn't quite have a handle on yet. The tech spent two days working with Ford's support line and they couldn't get anywhere. They're sending the dealer diagnostic equipment to hook up to my car to try and determine what's causing it.
I sent you a PM, mfc133.

Originally Posted by Darrell Lee
I am up to 5 times now that mine has started running rough with CEL. I doubt temp, RPM or anything like that contributes. It has happened to me at 70 degrees at idle in Florida, and at 70 MPH at 30 degrees in northern Va. It has happened immediately upon start as well. I did notice when it happened at 70 MPH that the air/fuel gauge jumped from 14/1 to 20/1 when misfiring.
I’ll get back to you as soon as possible, Darrell Lee.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Misfire