Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/12, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire

Just took car to dealer. 13Gt check engine light came on with loss of power. Light went out after 1 min, and power was back to normal. Dealer is saying that the computer has a code of # 3 cylinder has a misfire. They are still looking into it. Has anybody else have this problem? Anything else I should ask them to look for?
Thanks
Kevin
Old 11/4/12, 05:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under warranty?
Old 11/4/12, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
Under warranty?
Yes it is under warranty.
Old 11/5/12, 03:07 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobrakev
Just took car to dealer. 13Gt check engine light came on with loss of power. Light went out after 1 min, and power was back to normal. Dealer is saying that the computer has a code of # 3 cylinder has a misfire. They are still looking into it. Has anybody else have this problem? Anything else I should ask them to look for?
Thanks
Kevin
Let me escalate this for you, Cobrakev. Please, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can forward it to the customer service manager for your area and have this looked into.

Deysha
Old 11/10/12, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I just had my check engine lite come on this morning, car seemed to run fine but lite stayed on after a on and off start etc., so I called the dealer and they asked me to bring it in, the service guy said the OBD showed 5 different misfires but the engine was not misfireing now so he could not duplicate the problem. He reset the computer and advised to bring it back if the lite came on again.

Should I be worried and why would it show 5 misfires?
Old 11/10/12, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang259
I just had my check engine lite come on this morning, car seemed to run fine but lite stayed on after a on and off start etc., so I called the dealer and they asked me to bring it in, the service guy said the OBD showed 5 different misfires but the engine was not misfireing now so he could not duplicate the problem. He reset the computer and advised to bring it back if the lite came on again.

This is what has been happening to my car. It misfires, then about 1 min later it clears itself. The car runs normal after that. The EEC holds the codes, so they know that it has occured. Can you tell me what the car was doing when the light came on? My car has this happen 3 time now in the same place while driving home from work. I am going down a slight down hill straight on ramp getting on the interstate. The car is in 4th gear around 4400 rpms, I step on the gas to merge when the light comes on. I am still waiting on Ford to come up with a fix. I am taking it in to the dealer Monday for the second time in a week for this problem. This problem is happening to quite a few mustangs now...
Old 11/11/12, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Can't pinpoint the exact time or location, but I had given it hard throttle in 1-2-3 about ten minutes earlier than when I noticed the CEL, Problem is it has never seemed to run rough. Hopefully it is an anamoly and won.t pop up again.
Old 11/13/12, 08:47 AM

Let me get yours escalated as well, Mustang259. PM me with the same info I requested from Cobrakev, so I can help.

Deysha
Old 11/19/12, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Deysha
I was waiting to see if the situation occurred again, and guess what it did, got a flashing CEL for about 5 minutes and while I am going directly to dealer the CEL goes off.
Took it to the dealer anyway, they check and it was another mis fire at 80 miles per hour at 2100 rpm with a coolant temp of 192, the tech called ford and they suggested a different test on the ecm/engine which we will do Wednesday morning.
The tech said Ford has had multiple incidents of this type and are aware of the issue, but no definite fix yet.
That's all well and good, but it is a little disconcerting to be on the freeway and your CEL starts flashing!!!!
Will post again after Wednesday.
Old 11/21/12, 07:38 AM

Deysha
I was waiting to see if the situation occurred again, and guess what it did, got a flashing CEL for about 5 minutes and while I am going directly to dealer the CEL goes off.
Took it to the dealer anyway, they check and it was another mis fire at 80 miles per hour at 2100 rpm with a coolant temp of 192, the tech called ford and they suggested a different test on the ecm/engine which we will do Wednesday morning.
The tech said Ford has had multiple incidents of this type and are aware of the issue, but no definite fix yet.
That's all well and good, but it is a little disconcerting to be on the freeway and your CEL starts flashing!!!!
Will post again after Wednesday.
No problem, Mustang259. Please, make sure to get this escalated as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 12/18/12, 03:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Just thought I would post an update.
My CEL came on again today, 4th time in 2000 miles, so I went to Ford dealer and thanks to Deysha and Heather at Ford Customer service, I am the recipient of the new TSB regarding this anomaly which was issued yesterday the 17th, and I must say the car RUNS better, I am talking a different throttle feel and response and so far no CEL.
So if you are having this problem go see your dealer and ask about TSB 12-12-8
Old 12/18/12, 04:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

a flashing CEL means that theres a random misfire correct?
Old 12/18/12, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Not always but it is most likely, the key is the engine seems to run fine but you get a CEL, flashing or solid, and it seems for no reason.
I believe it is an exhaust valve timing issue, per my ford guy, they have the same problem with some f150's.
Old 12/19/12, 10:05 AM

Just thought I would post an update.
My CEL came on again today, 4th time in 2000 miles, so I went to Ford dealer and thanks to Deysha and Heather at Ford Customer service, I am the recipient of the new TSB regarding this anomaly which was issued yesterday the 17th, and I must say the car RUNS better, I am talking a different throttle feel and response and so far no CEL.
So if you are having this problem go see your dealer and ask about TSB 12-12-8
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Deysha
Old 12/21/12, 06:05 PM
V6 Member

the check engine light flashes when at least one "dead" cylinder is detected. If there is a consistant and complete lack of power contribution from one or more cylinders the light flashes. Which is made to get your attention because if you're having an igntion problem, that cylinder is pumping unburned fuel into your catalytic converters which can burn them out and/or clog them up.
Old 12/23/12, 10:34 PM
Cobra Member

i had the CEL flash a couple times once in early october and once 2 weeks ago, now its done it twice in the past 3 days...today it sputtered

will have to get this into dealer to get tsb done
Old 12/26/12, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
i had the CEL flash a couple times once in early october and once 2 weeks ago, now its done it twice in the past 3 days...today it sputtered

will have to get this into dealer to get tsb done
I agree, CHDS PNY. Please, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can forward it to the customer service manager for your area and have this looked into.

Deysha
Old 12/26/12, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

you have a PM Deysha!

thanks!
Old 12/26/12, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
you have a PM Deysha!

thanks!
Thanks. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 2/4/13, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

AAHHHHHH CEL again! Even after the TSB was done a couple of weeks ago, the wife drove it this morning and said a "Strange light " showed up on her way to work, as soon as she described it I knew it was a CEL. Took it directly to dealer they kept it all day and came back with----- WE will have to re install the TSB procedure????? If it didn't work the first time why will it work this time??
I told them it's a bad PCM but Ford refuses to accept that it's a bad (expensive) part.
This is the 5th time in the dealer for the exact same problem.
Why do they refuse to listen to customers??

Quick Reply: Misfire