Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

iOS8 + Sync issues

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/14, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iOS8 + Sync issues

So I've been noticing 2 issues with my car's iPhone integration since the latest update from Apple and wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issues.

(I have the non-touch radio display connected to an iPhone 5s running iOS 8.0.2 via USB and Bluetooth. I had Sync updated to the latest version under TSB 13-6-17 over the summer)

1. Text messages: Text message integration never used to work in my car, and I figured that was just Apple not playing nice. Since iOS8 it has started to work - the car will cut all music when a new message comes in and gives me the option of reading it out loud. This however is really annoying, but I cannot disable it. If I go to turn off the prompts, it then says "UNSUPPORTED" and no matter what I do, it says "UNSUPPORTED" whatever I try to do (even features that worked beforehand) until I key cycle the car.

2. Playing music: Since iOS8, I have not been able to start playing songs from the center stack controls. When I want to select a song I press the OK/Play/Pause button and it will just sit there at 0:00. To get the song to play I have to press the play button on my phone screen. Once the song is playing, I can pause it with the center stack, but I can't restart it without pressing the button on my phone either.

Anyone else been having these issues? Seems like the Apple engineers didn't do enough testing with the old style Sync system. Maybe its time for a new Sync update like Ford did in response to iOS6.

Last edited by CrzRsn; 10/8/14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10/8/14, 10:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CrzRsn
So I've been noticing 2 issues with my car's iPhone integration since the latest update from Apple and wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issues.

(I have the non-touch radio display connected to an iPhone 5s running iOS 8.0.2 via USB and Bluetooth. I had Sync updated to the latest version under TSB 13-6-17 over the summer)

1. Text messages: Text message integration never used to work in my car, and I figured that was just Apple not playing nice. Since iOS8 it has started to work - the car will cut all music when a new message comes in and gives me the option of reading it out loud. This however is really annoying, but I cannot disable it. If I go to turn off the prompts, it then says "UNSUPPORTED" and no matter what I do, it says "UNSUPPORTED" whatever I try to do (even features that worked beforehand) until I key cycle the car.

2. Playing music: Since iOS8, I have not been able to start playing songs from the center stack controls. When I want to select a song I press the OK/Play/Pause button and it will just sit there at 0:00. To get the song to play I have to press the play button on my phone screen. Once the song is playing, I can pause it with the center stack, but I can't restart it without pressing the button on my phone either.

Anyone else been having these issues? Seems like the Apple engineers didn't do enough testing with the old style Sync system. Maybe its time for a new Sync update like Ford did in response to iOS6.
I have no issues with my Iphone at all. What version of iOS8 are you running. Not that it should make a difference. Just curious. I just use the USB command.. It sees my Iphone/Ipod and Im good to go ..
Old 10/8/14, 10:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Text messaging notification has worked all the way back to 6 I think. Turn off show notifications on your phone under the Bluetooth Sync info screen if you don't want them.
Old 10/8/14, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Text messaging notification has worked all the way back to 6 I think. Turn off show notifications on your phone under the Bluetooth Sync info screen if you don't want them.
Found that a couple weeks ago, turned em off.
Old 10/8/14, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting, texts dont work at all thru sync on my 5, so I just turned on the notifications under Bluetooth sync options and now I will try it out tonight.
Old 10/8/14, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't get my iPhone 6, which has iOS8 as well, to connect to the Sync Bluetooth at all. Anyone else?
Old 10/8/14, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MDkid92
I can't get my iPhone 6, which has iOS8 as well, to connect to the Sync Bluetooth at all. Anyone else?
You've deleted the phone from the car and car from the phone, hard reset on phone and master reset on sync?
Old 10/8/14, 02:18 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CrzRsn

Hi CrzRsn,

Dmhines had a great recommendation! On your phone, tap SETTINGS, then BLUETOOTH, then SYNC. Turn the SHOW NOTIFICATION setting to OFF. This will no longer allow text messages to come through your iPhone.

I've had some other owners report the play button concern since updating to iOS 8, but I haven't had a chance to test it on my end. There are no settings within the SYNC System that will allow you to adjust this setting specifically, but these basic troubleshooting tips may help: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...eshooting-sync

Originally Posted by tom281
Interesting, texts dont work at all thru sync on my 5, so I just turned on the notifications under Bluetooth sync options and now I will try it out tonight.
Hey tom281,

It is also a good idea to check your account at: www.Support.Ford.com to make sure you're running the latest software.

Hello MDkid92,

Like laserred38 suggested, you should delete SYNC from the Bluetooth connections in your iPhone, then delete your phone from SYNC. Try pairing the phone again: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...our-phone-sync

If the phone will still not connect, perform a master reset by following these instructions: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync While your system is resetting, hold the POWER and HOME buttons on the iPhone until it resets, then pair the phone.

This may also be helpful: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6473

Let me know what happens!

Kim

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 10/8/14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10/9/14, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got it fixed. Thanks guys.
Old 10/13/14, 06:28 PM

Got it fixed. Thanks guys.
Awesome ! I'm glad to hear it.

Kim
Old 10/24/14, 03:01 PM

I have an iPod Touch 5th gen and the USB connection keeps disconnecting or not found. Bluetooth works fine but you can't use commands. I say it's Sync ford says it's Apple. If it were the iPod, it would not work at all. The USB connector is OK and works with the Mac and other devices. Frustrating!!!!!
Old 10/28/14, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by fast frankie
I have an iPod Touch 5th gen and the USB connection keeps disconnecting or not found. Bluetooth works fine but you can't use commands. I say it's Sync ford says it's Apple. If it were the iPod, it would not work at all. The USB connector is OK and works with the Mac and other devices. Frustrating!!!!!
Hi fast frankie,

Since the iPod Touch 5th Gen hasn't been officially added to our compatibility chart yet, I am unable to confirm how it will interact with SYNC: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...atibility-sync

There are some quick troubleshooting steps that may help. First, log in at: www.Support.Ford.com and make sure you're running the latest software. Next, try holding the POWER and HOME buttons on your iPod until the Apple Appears. Do this while the device is not connected to SYNC. When the media player powers back up, connect it to SYNC again and see if you notice a change in behavior. If issues continue, perform a master reset: http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...ter-reset-sync

If you have a blank USB drive, try adding some music to that in order to confirm your USB port is functioning properly. Just make sure it is formatted to FAT32 or the system may not recognize the USB.

Kim
Old 10/31/14, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
guys theres a ssm by ford on this issue, nothing wrong with the car, apple is working on it.. here:

SSM 44747 - Effective Oct 1 2014 Various SYNC Equipped Vehicles – Apple iOS 8 and or iPhone 6 Functional Issues:
Some customers with SYNC equipped vehicles may experience Bluetooth connectivity issues after upgrading to Apple iOS 8 or using an iPhone 6 with SYNC. This is not a SYNC hardware or software concern. Apple is aware of these concerns and isworking on a fix for multiple Vehicle Manufacturers. In the interim, direct thecustomer to the following Apple support URL: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6473