Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I jinxed myself

Old 10/7/14, 07:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I jinxed myself

Yes this is Another bubbling hood thread.

I was cleaning the underside of my hood and noticed a bubbled area under the hood. Anyway, my first impression of the bubble was that the embossed area was simply some sealer that had been painted over so I continued to clean figuring that area was most likely solid.

I snapped these pics. Sadly, the paint peeled after I touched it. The contaminated spot is roughly an inch. I cleaned the area to the point of where the paint stopped peeling and disinfected it with alcohol. I then sanded gently so the touch up paint would adhere and applied 3 gentle even coats of touch up paint. Once that dries, I will wet sand the area flush and pretty again. Thank God its under the hood.

This was the only spot so far. I really don't have time to mess around with a dealership so Im hoping that my "filling a cavity" approach will suffice.

Thoughts welcome.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Getportfolio; 10/7/14 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pathetic isn't it? 10 model years and Ford could not remedy the issue. I can't wait to start seeing the threads for the 15's about the paint bubbling up on the hood and fenders.
Old 10/7/14, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Pathetic isn't it? 10 model years and Ford could not remedy the issue. I can't wait to start seeing the threads for the 15's about the paint bubbling up on the hood and fenders.
Extremely disappointing on a 2012 11k GTCS or any car for that matter.
Old 10/7/14, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
That really Sucks I feel for ya. I am dreading bringing mine in for some paint blems. UGH..

My dealer told me that Painting aluminum is a really *****. Ford Is spending millions for all the dealers to get a new paint equipment for the new F150. I hope they get it right this time.

Does anyone know how the paint holds up after it gets re painted?
Old 10/8/14, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
That really Sucks I feel for ya. I am dreading bringing mine in for some paint blems. UGH.. My dealer told me that Painting aluminum is a really *****. Ford Is spending millions for all the dealers to get a new paint equipment for the new F150. I hope they get it right this time. Does anyone know how the paint holds up after it gets re painted?
Are you getting good blisters also? What year is your car?
Old 10/8/14, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck on your car, I know it's a hassle but you should still take it in and have it documented.

Any way all these threads can be put into one category? We need a single thread heading for just hood paint issues. Bubbling, corrossion, rust, etc.

Anything that makes it easier for people to find information on this issue. Help Mustang consumers make a better informed purchasing decision or knowledge if they have already purchased their Mustang.
Old 10/8/14, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by luap1376
Good luck on your car, I know it's a hassle but you should still take it in and have it documented. Any way all these threads can be put into one category? We need a single thread heading for just hood paint issues. Bubbling, corrossion, rust, etc. Anything that makes it easier for people to find information on this issue. Help Mustang consumers make a better informed purchasing decision or knowledge if they have already purchased their Mustang.
Thanks, I thought about bringing it in but I know the the drill with my dealership here.
1. I'd drive and hour and use an hours worth of gas to and from.
2. A mechanic would come out and look at the peeled area.
3. He'd come back with some touch up painted and haphazardly dab it on and say goodbye.

I will be watching the hood more closely from now on. Since it is just one inconspicuous blister, I figured I could do a touch up wet sand repair better than the careless dealership could.

I'm not sure if one blister would merit a repaint anyway. I see a potential hassle if I tried. However, if one more blister appears then the storm will start. Lol
Old 10/8/14, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Check the seam on your trunk lid. I bet its starting to bubble as well!!
Old 10/8/14, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dave07
Check the seam on your trunk lid. I bet its starting to bubble as well!!
Trunk is ok... For now. Lol
Old 10/8/14, 05:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by luap1376
Good luck on your car, I know it's a hassle but you should still take it in and have it documented.

Any way all these threads can be put into one category? We need a single thread heading for just hood paint issues. Bubbling, corrossion, rust, etc.

Anything that makes it easier for people to find information on this issue. Help Mustang consumers make a better informed purchasing decision or knowledge if they have already purchased their Mustang.
I agree- these threads need compiled into one sticky- the more squeaky wheels we can get, the more the odds of ford finally doing something.
Old 10/8/14, 05:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
getportfolio- sorry to see you got it too... but sadly just about all wil(i bet over 90% eventually).
Old 10/8/14, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
getportfolio- sorry to see you got it too... but sadly just about all wil(i bet over 90% eventually).
Thanks. I'm hoping that my quick touch up fix at least slows the process. My goal is that the hood last another 4 years until payoff. At that point, I'll replace the hood if it looks bad at this time.

Once again, I just have one spot. Fingers crossed.

It's sad, that the car has only had two oil changes in its life, is virtually new and that hood area flaked and peeled like an old leaf in the sun.

My 11 V6 had zero paint problems. It really is a hit or miss with these hoods. That is unacceptable!
Old 10/8/14, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. These posts scare me more every day. I hope your cure works.
Old 10/9/14, 11:10 AM

Update: beyond pissed. Took the car out in the sun to really inspect the hood and discovered more bubbling at the top and side seams. The paint has not broken in these areas but the spots look like little air pockets waiting to burst my wallet.

I took in in to the dealership just now and the warranty guy played dumb about what it might be and was borderline rude about it all. Making comments like "there's so much wax on here, I'm surprised." "I'm not a body man."He rationalized that the bubbles that are forming on the top of the hood lip were "simply pieces of dirt when painting." I literally almost laughed aloud because that's really unsettling to a person questioning overall paint quality.

Best one today: I told him I was concerned with the problem becoming larger and he rudely said "it ain't gonna fix itself.!" Swear on the Bible.

I don't make a lot of money as a teacher so I really value what I have. This car is one of those things. I'm so disappointed and sad to watch my dream car just rot away.

Deysha, I may need your help. The warranty guy submitted pictures but didn't sound too positive about it all. I guess he just wanted to get back to his sandwich.

I really did jinx myself by saying it would never happen to me.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 10/9/14 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10/9/14, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the update GetPortfolio, I wish it was better news for you. Keep us posted on how the warranty claim goes, I wish you the best of luck!
Old 10/9/14, 01:07 PM

Im glad I took your advice Luap.

I am still shocked to see more bubbles had formed literally overnight. (Wondering if it has to do with the cold snap we are having in Indiana) Anyway, Im not going to poke a prod the new bubbles for fear of breaking the paint.

You can see where I touched up the biggest bubble. Sadly, I think that just irritated the beast even more.

Please be honest when you look at the pics. Am I over reacting?

Once again, 2012 GTCS with 11k on the OD.
Attached Images          
Old 10/9/14, 04:42 PM

You are not over reacting. Do the math, you have a 2012 which is garage kept and well cared for. I have a 2010 which is garage kept and well cared for. Look at the pictures of my car that I posted on another thread, "mustang hood corossion" that is what your car will look like in 2 years.

It is not too much to ask for a multi billion dollar international company to manufacture a product of acceptable quality standards. It is also not over reacting to expect that company to remedy any defects in manufacturing that are discovered. Mistakes will happen. It is not over reacting to expect that a manufacturing defect; once discovered, could be remedied before a decade has passed.
Old 10/9/14, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

You aren't over reacting. Your paint is about to flake off!
Old 10/9/14, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to bring it in to another dealership on Saturday.
Old 10/9/14, 06:32 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,169 Likes on 1,618 Posts
I'm afraid to look at my hood now!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I jinxed myself