Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

I jinxed myself

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/14, 08:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, IN Warranty Service manager: Brett I'm actually walking home right now I'm so upset. Btw, Brett, actually confirmed everyone's suspicions: He said "This is a temporary fix but you'll be out of a warranty by the time the corrosion comes back." "Not our problem then bud, now get out of my face."
I wouldn't even bother. All of that should be sent directly to Deysha to be documented with the RCSM. I know it's probably not in your budget now, but I'd save up for an aftermarket hood. Screw em. You still love your car, and this community. My issues are making me hate my car too, but I still love it at the same time. I've always had a love/hate relationship with a Mustang. I've realized that's just part of ownership. The love/hate relationship with Ford is beyond my control. I just love Ford cars and trucks, more than any other brand. It sucks to have to choose between what you like, and what you don't like, because the after sale service is sh*t! I wish I could live near Brian's dealership. They would completely change our perception of Ford...
Old 10/21/14, 08:30 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My problem is I want to keep the CS original so no aftermarket hood

I'm disappointed that the body shop wasn't even willing to warranty or guarantee the body repair at all.

At least it would be piece of mind if corrosion comes back and could be "loosely" equated to body work guarantee and workmanship.

They wouldn't hear it. I've never heard of a body shop who won't guarantee their work?

Further confirms that they are aware that the corrosion problem will return. Out of sight out of mind is not fixing the problem!
Old 10/21/14, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
My problem is I want to keep the CS original so no aftermarket hood I'm disappointed that the body shop wasn't even willing to warranty or guarantee the body repair at all. At least it would be piece of mind if corrosion comes back and could be "loosely" equated to body work guarantee and workmanship. They wouldn't hear it. I've never heard of a body shop who won't guarantee their work? Further confirms that they are aware that the corrosion problem will return. Out of sight out of mind is not fixing the problem!
Yeah I know you want to keep it original. But I mean, even replacing the hood with another Ford hood, doesn't guarantee it won't come back. Maybe get a carbon fiber OEM replacement and just have it painted to match?
Old 10/21/14, 01:58 PM

If the repair is done properly then what are the chances of the corrosion returning?

Anyone speak from experience?
Old 10/21/14, 02:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the repair is done properly then what are the chances of the corrosion returning?

From having experience working at a bodyshop, it will return but not for 5+ years depending on if it is just surface rust or not and if it properly removed and painted.
I wish you luck and hopefully the dealership fix it right

Last edited by shurtual86; 10/21/14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10/21/14, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by shurtual86
From having experience working at a bodyshop, it will return but not for 5+ years depending on if it is just surface rust or not and if it properly removed and painted. I wish you luck and hopefully the dealership fix it right
Thanks I would be happy with that.

I just can't believe how aggressive the hood cancer was since the first bubble popped up last month.
Old 10/21/14, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have plenty of experience with aluminum corrosion through restoring and maintaining vintage WWII aircraft.

Whether or not the corrosion comes back is 100% dependent on how thoroughly the corrosion is abated and how well surface is cleaned and prepped. Media blasting with fine aluminum oxide or glass beads is a must. This is followed by an acid etch of the cleaned surface, a thorough wash with clean water and complete drying prior to paint.

From what I’ve read the type of the corrosion these panels are coming down with is dissimilar metal caused by steel transfer from the production dies. The bad part is there is no way to get into the folds/seam areas where the issue likely exists and is probably where it’s actually initiating. If the corrosion and/or contaminants are not removed 100%, the problem will be back. If it does come back, there are corrosion inhibitors available that will nearly stop its progress. As long as the bubbling stays on the underside of the hood it’s not quite so bad. If it creeps onto the money side, now it’s an eyesore. My guess is you drive your car all year so road salt is going to play a part in how fast the disease progresses. Keep it clean, keep it treated with inhibitor and keep it as dry as possible.

It’s disappointing but it’s not the end of the world either. I’ve had corrosion (Rust) in the hood and door folds on my old ’86 F-150 and ’03 Taurus for many years. Yeah, it’s getting worse but very slowly…it’s all in how effective your chemotherapy regimen is. I know it’s probably not what you wanted to hear but it’s what I’ve found over the years.
John
Old 10/21/14, 04:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
I have plenty of experience with aluminum corrosion through restoring and maintaining vintage WWII aircraft.

Whether or not the corrosion comes back is 100% dependent on how thoroughly the corrosion is abated and how well surface is cleaned and prepped. Media blasting with fine aluminum oxide or glass beads is a must. This is followed by an acid etch of the cleaned surface, a thorough wash with clean water and complete drying prior to paint.

From what I’ve read the type of the corrosion these panels are coming down with is dissimilar metal caused by steel transfer from the production dies. The bad part is there is no way to get into the folds/seam areas where the issue likely exists and is probably where it’s actually initiating. If the corrosion and/or contaminants are not removed 100%, the problem will be back. If it does come back, there are corrosion inhibitors available that will nearly stop its progress. As long as the bubbling stays on the underside of the hood it’s not quite so bad. If it creeps onto the money side, now it’s an eyesore. My guess is you drive your car all year so road salt is going to play a part in how fast the disease progresses. Keep it clean, keep it treated with inhibitor and keep it as dry as possible.

It’s disappointing but it’s not the end of the world either. I’ve had corrosion (Rust) in the hood and door folds on my old ’86 F-150 and ’03 Taurus for many years. Yeah, it’s getting worse but very slowly…it’s all in how effective your chemotherapy regimen is. I know it’s probably not what you wanted to hear but it’s what I’ve found over the years.
John
I agree... the problem is under the fold- but i still dont think its iron contamination thing as ford was saying, still think its simply the sharp edge of the top panel cutting/breaking thru the paint at the very edge of the crimp... look what i found under the insulation on the wifes 20k 07 mustang- the paint under the hood is not clearcoated/very thin/the insulation chaffed right thru it and bubbles galore hidden underneath, all full of powdery white corrosion

still think if ford just woulda used a panel adhesive/seam sealer to seal the sharp edge, the hem issue would go away- but once it starts, doubtful. the insulation i'll 'plastidip' the topside so its rubbery where it touches the paint... love the cars, but really frustrated at Ford/AAI...they have KNOWN about these hood issues a decade now, still putting out less than chinese quality paintjobs
Old 10/21/14, 07:27 PM

I appreciate you guys responses. I'm hoping the repair looks good and I'm trying to remain positive.

Today was hard. I'm trying.

In retrospect, I can see why the service manager got mad at me. I'm preaching to the choir as he sees it day in and day out. Ultimately, the quality lies with Ford production.
It's sad that grown people get heated up over this issue and resort to being ugly to customers.

That service manager was really put out with me no matter how calmly I spoke to him and tried to use logic to find a common ground.

As a teacher, I'm used to not getting through to people sometimes but this took the cake. I took that managers verbal abuse like a little puppy and scampered away and walked home in the rain.

Reading through all of the past threads about this issue, I now have a full realization of a 10 year old problem that is yet to be solved and just how immensely frustrating this is for everyone on both ends.

However, I will always take the high road and remember to treat people the way I want to be treated on this planet.
Old 10/21/14, 07:41 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I appreciate you guys responses. I'm hoping the repair looks good and I'm trying to remain positive. Today was hard. I'm trying. In retrospect, I can see why the service manager got mad at me. I'm preaching to the choir as he sees it day in and day out. Ultimately, the quality lies with Ford production. It's sad that grown people get heated up over this issue and resort to being ugly to customers. That service manager was really put out with me no matter how calmly I spoke to him and tried to use logic to find a common ground. As a teacher, I'm used to not getting through to people sometimes but this took the cake. I took that managers verbal abuse like a little puppy and scampered away and walked home in the rain. Reading through all of the past threads about this issue, I now have a full realization of a 10 year old problem that is yet to be solved and just how immensely frustrating this is for everyone on both ends. However, I will always take the high road and remember to treat people the way I want to be treated on this planet.
Taking the high road sucks most of the time BUT eventually you know it was right! :-)
Old 10/22/14, 07:39 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Took the car in and they are repairing the hood. I.e. Just sandblasting and painting the corroded spots.

Sadly, I know this is just a temporary fix. I'm very disappointed that the dealership wouldn't even hear me out about replacing the hood.

Worst of all, The dealership was ugly to me and and expressed that they (or Ford) couldn't care less about the problem of corrosion reoccurring after repair. I'm sick and tired of being treated like crap every time I go to that dealership.
I appreciate you guys responses. I'm hoping the repair looks good and I'm trying to remain positive.

Today was hard. I'm trying. ...
Originally Posted by laserred38
I wouldn't even bother. All of that should be sent directly to Deysha to be documented with the CSM.
I’m happy to get this documented as laserred38 mentioned, Getportfolio. PM me if you’d like for me to do so.

Deysha
Old 10/22/14, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I’m happy to get this documented as laserred38 mentioned, Getportfolio. PM me if you’d like for me to do so.

Deysha
Deysha,

Question for you: if problems like this, discovered under warranty and/or repaired under warranty are documented, does this give the owner any recourse if the issue arises again beyond the warranty period?

Thanks,
John
Old 10/22/14, 01:12 PM

Deysha, Question for you: if problems like this, discovered under warranty and/or repaired under warranty are documented, does this give the owner any recourse if the issue arises again beyond the warranty period? Thanks, John
I asked the service manager the same thing. See above posts for his reply.
Old 10/22/14, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
I’m happy to get this documented as laserred38 mentioned, Getportfolio. PM me if you’d like for me to do so. Deysha
Thank you again. I have many concerns address. I will contact you after the car repair is completed.
Old 10/22/14, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, IN

Warranty Service manager: Brett

I'm actually walking home right now I'm so upset.

Btw, Brett, actually confirmed everyone's suspicions:

He said "This is a temporary fix but you'll be out of a warranty by the time the corrosion comes back." "Not our problem then bud, now get out of my face."

Today was hard. I'm trying.

In retrospect, I can see why the service manager got mad at me. I'm preaching to the choir as he sees it day in and day out. Ultimately, the quality lies with Ford production.
It's sad that grown people get heated up over this issue and resort to being ugly to customers.

That service manager was really put out with me no matter how calmly I spoke to him and tried to use logic to find a common ground.

As a teacher, I'm used to not getting through to people sometimes but this took the cake. I took that managers verbal abuse like a little puppy and scampered away and walked home in the rain.

Reading through all of the past threads about this issue, I now have a full realization of a 10 year old problem that is yet to be solved and just how immensely frustrating this is for everyone on both ends.

However, I will always take the high road and remember to treat people the way I want to be treated on this planet.
That's all well and good but that jacko needs to be dressed down by his boss or fired. You just don't treat a customer like that!
Certified letter to Dealership CEO or Ford itself. Get that jerk out of there as there are thousands of qualified people that can do his job without being a rude jack asz.

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/22/14 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10/22/14, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I asked the service manager the same thing. See above posts for his reply.

That might be so, but the dealership is not the manufacturer...there is a clear division between the two and a significant difference as well. To add to that, the service manager that scoffed you may use the tactic he did to scare you (And others) away from coming back for the same issue which by all accounts does not show their service in a good light.
Old 10/22/14, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Wow. This is why I haven't brought my car in for any of my issues. I have 4 dealerships within a 25 mile radius, and at least 3 I would never step foot on their property because of crap like this. The 4th is probably beyond 25 miles, so it's such a trek, that I'd almost rather have my issues than deal with a 100+ mile trip to/from/to/from.
Just saw this post Patrick.
I'm in the same boat. While I have been complaining about my bad experience, I failed to mention that there are stellar dealerships out there!

Ray Skillman is a model example of what a Ford dealership should be in every way shape or form. From the salesman, financial manager, to the all of its employees, it's easily the best dealership that I have ever experienced. It makes sense they are the largest Roush dealership in the US. my wife and I bought 2 cars on the same day. The 12 GTCS and a 14 Escape.

Sadly, they are in Greenwood, Indiana...way outside of my city limits and quite a drive with a special needs child. I searched for months online all over the U.S. to find my dream car and they had it. I was even more excited to discover the car was in the same state!

Anyway, I have identified why I got so upset: ...having experienced a model dealership raised my expectations of how to be treated. i realized that there is such thing as a good dealership and now somewhat expect it.

Lol
I'm not asking anyone to roll out red carpet, but buying 2 cars in the same night is proof that you can catch more "flies with honey."
Old 10/23/14, 11:36 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha,

Question for you: if problems like this, discovered under warranty and/or repaired under warranty are documented, does this give the owner any recourse if the issue arises again beyond the warranty period?

Thanks
All situations are looked at on a case by case basis, so it possibly could, Horspla.

Thank you again. I have many concerns address. I will contact you after the car repair is completed.
Ok. Thanks, Getportfolio.

Deysha
Old 10/23/14, 03:15 PM

Picking the car up in an hour. Fingers crossed!
Old 10/23/14, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck man, pulling for you!

Quick Reply: I jinxed myself