Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2010-2014 Mustang > Warranty and Service Issue
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11/21/09, 11:27 AM   #1
Mach 1 Member

Ben

Send a message via MSN to hhbh720
Question How to reset the Oil Life?

Took the car to a dealer over here in Virginia to have the first inspection and oil change done. Then after a day or so the display showed "Oil Life 5%". It would go away if I hit the reset-button, but the message will come back every time I start the car. Any advice how to reset that?

Unfortunately, I cannot take the car back to the dealer since right now it is sitting at the port getting ready to be shipped to Germany.

Would be great if someone knew some sort of shortcut as to how to fix this.

Ben.
hhbh720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/09, 11:29 AM   #2
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff

Mr. Gary

It's not hard though it escapes me right now. The same thing happens on the wife's Expedition.

It's in the Owner's Manual on how to reset it.
2k7gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/09, 11:32 AM   #3
Cobra R Member

Tony

Ok, so you start the car.
Hit the setup button twice.
The message will appear "oil life #% hold Rest if new"
So... I take it you just hold the rest button and it'll go back to 100%.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 11/21/09 at 11:51 AM. Reason: gramatical...
2010MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/09, 11:36 AM   #4
Mach 1 Member

Ben

Send a message via MSN to hhbh720
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Gotta check that out in a month or so when the car gets to Germany. I'll be sure to post some pics on the Autobahn!
hhbh720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/09, 09:36 AM   #5
Mach 1 Member

Steve

Send a message via AIM to SC67Stang
Okay here is the full setup info:

1. Press and release the SETUP control to display OIL LIFE.
2. Press and hold the RESET control for 2 seconds and release.
Oil life is set to 100% and OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed.
3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%.
Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles or six months.

Hope this helps explain this a bit.
GT-500 Rear Bumper Magnetic Blackout Panel between Tail lights, Matte Blk V6 side rocker panel
Drilled and slotted rotors, Coast Alum. 1 piece Drive Shaft
Magnaflow High flow Catted X Pipe and Magnaflow Axel backs
Saleen Stage II SC Kit with Custom Tune, GT-500 Fuel system, 39lbs injectors, 90mm MAF
448 RWHP 418 TOR
SC67Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/8/10, 02:42 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.February 8, 2010Click the image to open in full size.To:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury DealershipsSubject:2011 Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)Click the image to open in full size.BACKGROUND
As part of Ford Motor Company's commitment to increase product quality, build vehicles that are environmentally green, and use innovative technology, we are pleased to announce the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system. This system will be available on over 90% of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold. The system uses information from the Powertrain Control Module and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval. The interval is calculated based upon the vehicle operating conditions.

The system uses the Message Center to display when the oil needs to be changed:
  • "ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON" at 5% oil life remaining
  • "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" at 0% oil life remaining
The oil change service interval can range from 3,000 to 10,000 miles depending on the vehicle operating conditions.
INTELLIGENT OIL LIFE MONITOR (IOLM) SYSTEM AVAILABILITY
The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8500 GVWR and the all new 2011 model year 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

The Fiesta, Escape/Mariner Hybrid, and the Fusion/Milan/MKZ Hybrid do not use the IOLM system.
  • These vehicles have a service interval of 1 year or 10,000 miles.
  • They have an oil minder system that does not use an algorithm to adjust the oil change service interval.
  • The minder uses a one year timer or 10,000 miles to indicate when to change the oil.
  • For Fiesta vehicles only the Message Center will display: "ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE NEXT SERVICE".
The following list of vehicles do not have the new IOLM for the 2011 model year:
  • Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car
  • Focus
  • SVT Mustang (5.4L 4valve engine)
  • Ranger
  • F-150 with the 6.2 liter V8 engine (Harley Davison, Lariat and Raptor)
  • F-Super Duty (except 6.7L Diesel)
  • E-Series
  • Transit Connect
  • Expedition/Navigator (5.4L 3 valve engine)
The normal oil change interval for these vehicles will remain at 6 month or 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions. (except Raptor which will remain at 5,000 miles)
IOLM OPERATION
The IOLM algorithm uses a predetermined number of engine revolutions it would take to achieve 10,000 miles and has a timer up to one year. The IOLM then uses inputs from the Powertrain Control Module to adjust the oil change interval according to the operating conditions under which the vehicle is driven. Some examples of conditions that would accelerate the oil change interval are: trailer towing, short distance driving in colder or hotter temperatures, or the use of E85 fuel in Flex Fuel Vehicles

Customers can expect the service interval to be as follows:
  • Up to 10,000 miles: Normal commuting with highway driving
  • 5,000 to 7,500 miles: Trailer towing or driving with high loads
  • 3,000 to 5,000 miles: Short trip usage, driving in extreme cold or hot temperatures
The IOLM must be reset after each oil change/service interval to initiate a new interval cycle, as indicated in the Owner Guide.
Note: Review the Special Operating Conditions section of the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter for exceptions.

OWNER GUIDE CHANGES
Beginning with the 2011 model year there is no longer a separate Scheduled Maintenance Guide for maintenance information. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide content is now included in the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter of the Owner Guide. The information has been reformatted for all vehicles. A chart is used for reoccurring maintenance items and a table is used for items that require service at a specific non recurring time or mile interval.

SALES AND SERVICE DEPARTMENT ACTIONS
  • Review new IOLM operation with all sales and service personnel.
  • Review the new Scheduled Maintenance Chapter in the Owner Guide with the customer.
  • Review the IOLM operation with the customer .
  • Reinforce with the customer the IOLM will determine when to change the oil on their new Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle.
QUESTIONS
  • If you have questions regarding the operation of the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) systems, please refer to the scheduled maintenance section in the Owner Guide or the Workshop Manual.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf faq.pdf (27.4 KB, 1024 views)

clevparts@aol.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/obsoletek
All My Collectibles Including Existing Mustang Parts for Sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/terristreasurestore
Toys,Handmade Jewelry & Toys in my wifes store

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/8/10 at 02:45 PM.
05stangkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/15/10, 04:52 PM   #7
V6 Member

are the 5.0 engines,comes with oem synthetic oil? if yes ,ford works//use// with whom? mobil? castrol? etc..
labatt 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/15/10, 04:55 PM   #8
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Whatever works for you. Read the manual, but you'll find it's a synthetic blend from Ford. But the deal is *use what's best for you.*

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, and no complaints here.
Awesome: My 2006 Mustang GT Coupe, Performance White, Dark Charcoal Interior. Mods so far: GT/CS Bumper, Satin Black lower trim all 'round, Custom Blackened Dash Panels, 2010 GT500 Vert Wheels, GTA Axle-backs.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...&highlight=wai
---
Ride, the Copper and Gold PC800 of Win: http://i.imgur.com/eiECkMg.jpg
---
In memory of my dearly missed Muskrat (RIP)
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/7/11, 02:26 PM   #9

Wink oil life moniter

3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%.

The question is Each press of the RESET control "could not" reduces the value by 10%.still 100%.It doesnt work.what should i do with it ?
speedo135678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9/8/11, 08:01 AM   #10
Ford Customer Service Rep

Deysha

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo135678 View Post
The question is Each press of the RESET control "could not" reduces the value by 10%.still 100%.It doesnt work.what should i do with it ?
Hi speedo135678,

If you are not able to reduce the oil life value, I recommend you stop by your local Ford dealer and have them look at it for you to make sure is working properly. They can also help you set it up. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordMustang @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordMustang facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/12/14, 08:22 PM   #11

Tarik

Angry plz help me

i have a 2011 v6 mustang and i have a problem with oil life % and i can not
reduce the oil life value , i tried :
3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%

but it doesn't work it's still : OIL LIFE SET TO 100%
thanx
Zubaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/12/14, 08:22 PM