Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

How to reset the Oil Life?

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/09, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How to reset the Oil Life?

Took the car to a dealer over here in Virginia to have the first inspection and oil change done. Then after a day or so the display showed "Oil Life 5%". It would go away if I hit the reset-button, but the message will come back every time I start the car. Any advice how to reset that?

Unfortunately, I cannot take the car back to the dealer since right now it is sitting at the port getting ready to be shipped to Germany.

Would be great if someone knew some sort of shortcut as to how to fix this.

Ben.
Old 11/21/09, 10:29 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It's not hard though it escapes me right now. The same thing happens on the wife's Expedition.

It's in the Owner's Manual on how to reset it.
Old 11/21/09, 10:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so you start the car.
Hit the setup button twice.
The message will appear "oil life #% hold Rest if new"
So... I take it you just hold the rest button and it'll go back to 100%.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 11/21/09 at 10:51 AM. Reason: gramatical...
Old 11/21/09, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Gotta check that out in a month or so when the car gets to Germany. I'll be sure to post some pics on the Autobahn!
Old 11/23/09, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Okay here is the full setup info:

1. Press and release the SETUP control to display OIL LIFE.
2. Press and hold the RESET control for 2 seconds and release.
Oil life is set to 100% and OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed.
3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%.
Oil life start value of 100% equals 7,500 miles or six months.

Hope this helps explain this a bit.
Old 2/8/10, 01:42 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
February 8, 2010To:All Ford and Lincoln Mercury DealershipsSubject:2011 Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)BACKGROUND
As part of Ford Motor Company's commitment to increase product quality, build vehicles that are environmentally green, and use innovative technology, we are pleased to announce the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system. This system will be available on over 90% of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold. The system uses information from the Powertrain Control Module and an algorithm to calculate the proper oil change interval. The interval is calculated based upon the vehicle operating conditions.

The system uses the Message Center to display when the oil needs to be changed:
  • "ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON" at 5% oil life remaining
  • "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" at 0% oil life remaining
The oil change service interval can range from 3,000 to 10,000 miles depending on the vehicle operating conditions.
INTELLIGENT OIL LIFE MONITOR (IOLM) SYSTEM AVAILABILITY
The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8500 GVWR and the all new 2011 model year 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel.

The Fiesta, Escape/Mariner Hybrid, and the Fusion/Milan/MKZ Hybrid do not use the IOLM system.
  • These vehicles have a service interval of 1 year or 10,000 miles.
  • They have an oil minder system that does not use an algorithm to adjust the oil change service interval.
  • The minder uses a one year timer or 10,000 miles to indicate when to change the oil.
  • For Fiesta vehicles only the Message Center will display: "ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE NEXT SERVICE".
The following list of vehicles do not have the new IOLM for the 2011 model year:
  • Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car
  • Focus
  • SVT Mustang (5.4L 4valve engine)
  • Ranger
  • F-150 with the 6.2 liter V8 engine (Harley Davison, Lariat and Raptor)
  • F-Super Duty (except 6.7L Diesel)
  • E-Series
  • Transit Connect
  • Expedition/Navigator (5.4L 3 valve engine)
The normal oil change interval for these vehicles will remain at 6 month or 7,500 miles under normal driving conditions. (except Raptor which will remain at 5,000 miles)
IOLM OPERATION
The IOLM algorithm uses a predetermined number of engine revolutions it would take to achieve 10,000 miles and has a timer up to one year. The IOLM then uses inputs from the Powertrain Control Module to adjust the oil change interval according to the operating conditions under which the vehicle is driven. Some examples of conditions that would accelerate the oil change interval are: trailer towing, short distance driving in colder or hotter temperatures, or the use of E85 fuel in Flex Fuel Vehicles

Customers can expect the service interval to be as follows:
  • Up to 10,000 miles: Normal commuting with highway driving
  • 5,000 to 7,500 miles: Trailer towing or driving with high loads
  • 3,000 to 5,000 miles: Short trip usage, driving in extreme cold or hot temperatures
The IOLM must be reset after each oil change/service interval to initiate a new interval cycle, as indicated in the Owner Guide.
Note: Review the Special Operating Conditions section of the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter for exceptions.

OWNER GUIDE CHANGES
Beginning with the 2011 model year there is no longer a separate Scheduled Maintenance Guide for maintenance information. The Scheduled Maintenance Guide content is now included in the Scheduled Maintenance Chapter of the Owner Guide. The information has been reformatted for all vehicles. A chart is used for reoccurring maintenance items and a table is used for items that require service at a specific non recurring time or mile interval.

SALES AND SERVICE DEPARTMENT ACTIONS
  • Review new IOLM operation with all sales and service personnel.
  • Review the new Scheduled Maintenance Chapter in the Owner Guide with the customer.
  • Review the IOLM operation with the customer .
  • Reinforce with the customer the IOLM will determine when to change the oil on their new Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle.
QUESTIONS
  • If you have questions regarding the operation of the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM) systems, please refer to the scheduled maintenance section in the Owner Guide or the Workshop Manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
faq.pdf (27.4 KB, 2048 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 2/8/10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 9/15/10, 03:52 PM
V6 Member

are the 5.0 engines,comes with oem synthetic oil? if yes ,ford works//use// with whom? mobil? castrol? etc..
Old 9/15/10, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Whatever works for you. Read the manual, but you'll find it's a synthetic blend from Ford. But the deal is *use what's best for you.*

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, and no complaints here.
Old 9/7/11, 01:26 PM

Wink oil life moniter

3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%.

The question is Each press of the RESET control "could not" reduces the value by 10%.still 100%.It doesnt work.what should i do with it ?
Old 9/8/11, 07:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by speedo135678
The question is Each press of the RESET control "could not" reduces the value by 10%.still 100%.It doesnt work.what should i do with it ?
Hi speedo135678,

If you are not able to reduce the oil life value, I recommend you stop by your local Ford dealer and have them look at it for you to make sure is working properly. They can also help you set it up. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Deysha
Old 4/12/14, 07:22 PM

Angry plz help me

i have a 2011 v6 mustang and i have a problem with oil life % and i can not
reduce the oil life value , i tried :
3. While OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed, if a lower oil life start value is desired, press and release the RESET control to reduce the start value. Each press of the RESET control reduces the value by 10%

but it doesn't work it's still : OIL LIFE SET TO 100%
thanx