Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Extremely loud road noise with Sync

Old 11/17/11, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extremely loud road noise with Sync

I have a 2012 Premium V6 that is having an issue with very loud road noise on outgoing calls using Sync. The road noise only appears when I am driving over 10 Mph. It stops completely when I come to stop or drive below 10 Mph. My wife says I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. I talked to Sync support and they gave me a couple of suggestions (such as doing a master reset, etc.) which had nothing to do with the actual problem. It is obviously a design issue with the microphone placement or lack of roof insulation as others have mentioned.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution to it? I have read about this issue in other Ford models, not just the mustang.

Apparently the microphone for Sync is in the rearview mirror (according to Sync Support), but others have said that it was in the housing in the center of the headliner that houses the interior lights. I can't see how the noise could develop if the mic is in the mirror, as it is far from the roof of the car and the windshield. It would make more sense to have the noise come from the un-insulated roof.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by gchisman; 11/17/11 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11/17/11, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

Yeah I have the same problem with my '12 and the only solution I found was to not use Sync. Sync severely lacks compared to what the competition offers. Maybe a different mic placement (away from center of the headliner) would fix it, but I've written off the bluetooth capabilities of sync.
Old 11/17/11, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I have Sync in both my vehicles and only once in a blue moon does someone say they can't hear me well. Hangings up and calling them back fixes it 99% of the time.

What phones are you using? I now have an iPhone 4S, had a HTC Souround, iPhone 3GS and all have worked great. I love Sync.
Old 11/17/11, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used it on the highway with my windows open and people hear me just fine.
Old 11/17/11, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by gchisman
I have a 2012 Premium V6 that is having an issue with very loud road noise on outgoing calls using Sync. The road noise only appears when I am driving over 10 Mph. It stops completely when I come to stop or drive below 10 Mph. My wife says I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. I talked to Sync support and they gave me a couple of suggestions (such as doing a master reset, etc.) which had nothing to do with the actual problem. It is obviously a design issue with the microphone placement or lack of roof insulation as other have mentioned.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution to it? I have read about this issue in other Ford models, not just the mustang.

Apparently the microphone for Sync is in the rearview mirror (according to Sync Support), but others have said that it was in the housing in the center of the headliner that houses the interior lights. I can't see how the noise could develop if the mic is in the mirror, as it is far from the roof of the car and the windshield. It would make more sense to have the noise come from the un-insulated roof.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
How do you do a master reset.
Old 11/17/11, 07:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by gchisman
I have a 2012 Premium V6 that is having an issue with very loud road noise on outgoing calls using Sync. The road noise only appears when I am driving over 10 Mph. It stops completely when I come to stop or drive below 10 Mph. My wife says I sound like I'm in a wind tunnel. I talked to Sync support and they gave me a couple of suggestions (such as doing a master reset, etc.) which had nothing to do with the actual problem. It is obviously a design issue with the microphone placement or lack of roof insulation as other have mentioned.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
I've been thinking, maybe it's the phone. What do you use phone wise? I've got an iPhone and it's horrible. I've also got a blackberry but I have never sync'd it up, but thinking it may be worth a try.
Old 11/17/11, 09:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far. I am using an Iphone4, and have used this same phone on another bluetooth device and it worked fine. I am going to try and pair my wifes phone with the car just to see, but I don't have great hopes based on what I've been reading. I wish it was that simple, because I love all the other features, and the rest of the car. I'll keep you all posted and let you know what happens.
As far as the master reset goes, it is within the menu's of the Sync setup. If you want to do it I would suggest calling Sync support and they can walk you through it. They also have suggestions on how to reset your phone as well to make sure the connection is completely removed and re-created. I actually tried it and it made no difference.
Old 11/23/11, 04:51 PM

I tried pairing my wife's phone and get the same noise...
Old 3/5/13, 11:59 AM

Getting the same problem with iphone 5 and 2014 Gt Prem
Old 3/5/13, 12:01 PM

Funny thing is that the noise is worse when I'm talking. Not as noisy when I'm silent.....Any ideas?
Old 3/11/13, 04:52 PM

I have a 2012 V6 Premium with very bad road/backgound noise while on phone. I have dialed my other phone and recorded messages to hear what I'm told and confirmed a loud background wind noise (like white noise). My words are also broken with parts of my voice being lost. It's very aggrivating...turning the AC fan down helps a lot, but still an issue. When new this worked perfect even with fan on or windows down! I took it to dealer once and they reportedly did nothing, but when I left it worked perfect again, but issue returned within a month. Master reset, unpair and repair device, even disconnect battery all with no help. Ford/Sync is falling way short on this and needs to take action!!!
Old 3/11/13, 07:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Don't have Sync in my car, however, is it possible that those with issues at speed have the speed volume turned up or even on and it is adjusting volume in the wrong way?