Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Old 12/3/14, 10:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Ford updated these lamps earlier this year, They said that the new number (B, replacing the A at the end of the original number), would last longer. The price came way down from the original costs. Now they average 28.00 or so, each. Before, they were totally out of sight, with the left selling for over 100 from certain dealers.

Supposedly now there is a 5volt reduction to make these puddle lamps work correctly and not burn out. Originally they were a solid 12 volt wiring from the junction box. My understanding now is, there is a 5volt reduction, somehow added into the light, which will keep them from getting as hot and also not burn up the projection logo.

I have recently placed a set of these new numbered lamps into a set of 2012 mirror shells, and have set my power to the 5 volts. They work well on the bench, they don't seem to get near as hot as when 12 volts is placed to them. I notice that the direction of the logo is now sideways and not parallel like the original (A) lamp was. I actually like this better. I always wondered why the Mustang logo was inline with the body. This is a definite difference from the original lamps. I wonder if Ford is replacing these in pairs, since the direction is off 90 degrees from the originals.
Old 12/8/14, 08:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to replace mine!

Both of mine are going bad.
Attached Thumbnails Driver Side Pony Projector Problems-image.jpg  
Old 12/8/14, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My other side

The second one....
Attached Thumbnails Driver Side Pony Projector Problems-image.jpg  

Last edited by RIBS; 12/8/14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 5/29/15, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My Driver-Side one was replaced last year.
My Passenger-Side one needs replacement.

However, my dealer just told me my warranty ran out 6 days ago so they won't replace it.

Did someone post the part numbers or can post them here?
I need to order a new passenger-side pony projector.

I think I just found the part numbers:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ml#post3191778

DR3Z-13B375-A (Left)
DR3Z-13B374-A (Right)

However, when I search for them at Auto Nation Ford, different Part Numbers come up. The description says that they are replacements

PUDDLE LAMP - 2013 Ford Mustang (DR3Z13B375B) $17.11
(Replaces DR3Z-13B375-A)
http://stores.revolutionparts.com/pa...me=puddle-lamp

PUDDLE LAMP - 2013 Ford Mustang (DR3Z13B374B) $18.41
(Replaces DR3Z-13B374-A)
http://stores.revolutionparts.com/pa...me=puddle-lamp

Last edited by VIP1; 5/29/15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 5/30/15, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had both of mine replaced yesterday before my warranty runs out in 2 days and the part numbers that are on my invoice end in 'B' . They are the same part numbers as the ones you listed from autonation ford.
Old 5/31/15, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Just after I posted the part numbers, I ordered a pair.
Old 7/11/15, 12:48 PM

Hi all,

Please, can you take some pics from your mirrors (driver and passenger side) with the puddle lamp view.

I would like to integer this pony projectors in my 10 mustang mirrors.

Thanks !
Old 7/11/15, 01:16 PM

Want the solution?

Get a new set of puddle lamps.
Before you install them, order and put on a set of these tints:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/puddle...-red-1315.html

They come in lots of colors. Ford replaced five sets of these puddle lamps for me over three years under warranty at no charge. After I put these tints on, there has been no bulb deterioration at all. These little Mylar tints are all you need.

Last edited by Cdz12250; 7/11/15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 7/11/15, 05:08 PM
V6 Member

You know...

I think the main issue with these lights is the film that projects the pony image. Maybe the heat from the LED makes it turn brittle easy so it distorts, gets holes and scratchy looking cuts on it. Mine on the passenger side mirror has totally deteriorated so it looks like a flash light beam shining on the ground. Ford doesn't seem to care to make a real revision of these pony projector lights so I'm leaving mine unplugged. There's no way to DIY fix the units, because they're completely sealed in plastic and resin glue.

Here's to hoping the aftermarket will make direct replacements.
Old 7/12/15, 12:15 AM

Ok! Thanks for your replies!

But all i want is that someone take photos of the pass and driver side mirros where i can see the projectors position on them.

Why? Because my 2010 mustang mirrors don't have the special hole for that and no wires too...

I'll make the hole in the mirrors with a dremel or with other tools like this. And make the wiring myself.
I bought this oem projectors on ebay for 50$

Thanks!
Old 11/7/16, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, in addition to just planning on driving into the dealer tomorrow morning when they open to show them the hood corrosion (just realized it Saturday when detailing the car and I'll hit 36k miles on Wednesday, before I'd be able to get an appointment leaving me no choice), I guess I'll be showing them my driver's side projector, just noticed this morning. I've already had it replaced once, guess I'll be trying to get a second replacement...
Old 12/28/16, 06:50 PM

I've got a 2016 Ecoboost Convertible with 3994 miles on it. The driver side mirror started looking bad after three months. I went to my dealership and they said they would have to "research" this as they had never seen it. I went back by to see what they found out and they told me to make and appointment to bring by to look at. I left it all day and they decided they had to order the lamp. So I must make arrangements once again to bring it in. The passenger side is starting to look fuzzy. From reading this thread, I thought they had the issue taken care of way before 2016.

Last edited by Kimberly Ridley; 12/28/16 at 06:53 PM.
Old 6/25/18, 08:12 PM

Same issue

Originally Posted by FordService
Glad to learn this was taken care of for you, zheludov. I’m happy to get this dealer experience documented for you. If you’d like, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and the comments you’d like to share.

Deysha
Hi Deysha,

Having the same experience as everyone else. Took the vehicle into Damerow Ford in Beaverton, Oregon and they want 70.00 each for the lights and when asked if they were under warranty due to defect, I was simply told no.

Are you able to assist one more Mustang out?
Old 6/26/18, 06:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Deysha (or anyone at Ford) no longer monitors this forum.
Old 12/28/18, 03:38 PM

Projector Problems

Last time I was in I was getting my 100,000 service done, I noticed I was missing 2 of my tire stem caps. I just ordered more because it's not convenient to drive an hour to the dealership. . But it reminded me to look into the projection issues I'm having. I bought my car brand new Sept 2015. Both projections look like crap. My car is out of warranty. I have always had it serviced at the dealer I bought it at and all the recommended maintenance done there as well. I just hit my 100,000 miles and they did everything. I'm wondering if this is something I will have to fix and pay for myself?
Old 4/14/20, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi All,

I'm late to the party but have the problem on my 2013 Premium. I'm based in the UK and my car doesn't have any warranty so replacing the projectors is going to work out very expensive once you take shipping and import duty into the mix. Before spending any money I thought best to do some research into what the problem actually is and I have something to share.

1, The projectors are sealed, or at least they are intended to be, no amount of cleaning will make this better nor will wrapping the door mirrors when washing the vehicle.
2. The problem appears to be caused by heat or a bad film that has the logo printed on it. It's possible that the heat generated by the lamp causes the black print to deteriorate but can't be 100% certain. When the projector is taken off, you will see a grey block, this appears to be the heat sink for the LED lamp as it warms up very quickly, be careful as it can get extremely hot!!
3. The seal can be relatively easily removed using a scalpel but should be done very carefully as to not hurt yourself or damage the circuit board. Once removed the innards easily slide out to reveal all.
4. The top lens simply pulls off, underneath is a little film that has the pony logo printed on it. The black should be strong with very crisp edges, you can see in the photo the print has flaked and is causing the crappy image.

If this is still happening to current model mustangs, ford should really be looking into a new design as clearly it's not fit for purpose and inherently floored. It's possible the film is bad but for sure I will be adding a further heatsink to dissipate the heat. I'm also looking at the viability of making my own but maybe impossible due to the minuscule nature of these devices. Will update you as I progress

The rubber sealing compound has been removed

Another angle showing the grey heat sink that gets very hot.

The circuit board, lamp/lens assembly removed.

Plastic housing with electronics removed

Top lens removed, showing the damaged film.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shabbee:
69Mustang302 (12/14/20), SpectreH (4/14/20)
Old 4/14/20, 06:00 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Nice breakdown of the problem. It makes me wonder if someone could produce a replacement film, or even custom films to go in the lamps.
Old 11/16/21, 04:24 AM

Hi, do you know if I can turn on this hologram via battery without car and how? I bought two of DR3Z-13B375-B (Left) DR3Z-13B374-B (Right) and one light big horse and second one small horse. Only differences between them is box - one with older logo genuine parts, second with new logo. Thanks in advance.
Old 11/16/21, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

yes you can use them without the car you just need a jumper wire and a 9volt battery to display the image.....when i first got my car all i had was a big white blob displaying on the ground, dealership told me they were just wet and maybe needed to be buffed up i replaced them and they seem to be fine for now

box says:
DR3Z-13B374-B
lamp

they were not cheap in canada but ebay sells them for half what i paid i chose OEM just because dealership paid 50%
Old 11/17/21, 04:12 AM

Which connector will be + and - . I'm newbie in this. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Side Pony Projector Problems