Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Old 11/17/12, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Anybody having problems with their Pony Projectors? My driver side projector seems to be out of focus and it is not clean and crisp image of a pony anymore. In fact, it looks like the light is out of focus, larger and there are extra spots around the pony...kinda first looked like dirt flying up around hooves, now it looks like he's taking a crap. Seriously! I will take a pic tonight and post. It's very embarrassing.

I assume I can take this to dealer to fix or replace it. For something that is completely useless, i.e. doesn't effect the car's drivability, I hope its not a costly fix. I wonder if it's from shutting door too hard or something. I don't slam the door or anything.

It's a 2013 V6 that I just purchased in April, with pony and comfort package. I love how it drives, looks and feels, but I dread opening the door at night now when before I would grin like a cheshire cat whenever I saw the pony. I would get lots of compliments too.
Old 11/17/12, 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

simple question, have you cleaned under the mirror?
Old 11/17/12, 07:43 AM

Yeah, the last couple of washes I have paid special attention to see if that was it. It's been getting worse.
Old 11/17/12, 09:18 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my projectors look the same today as I they did when I bought the car. can't wait to see the pics...
Old 11/19/12, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I started another thread regarding my driver side projector. Mine's actually not in the same place it was, where the head of the pony is running at 12:00. It's actually running now at 8:00 lol. But now that you mention, focus, my passenger side is more of a soft light sharper hue. Where as my driver side is brighter hue and not as nice as my passenger side.

I have a 5K oil change due soon, I'm going to have them check it out when I bring it in for service.

https://themustangsource.com/f804/po...-askew-515024/
Old 11/20/12, 06:28 PM
GT Member

I noticed the problem a couple of months ago, I was waiting to see if anyone ran into the same problem. It started with the driver's side, but now the passenger side has the same problem. You can see the the image is not as sharp as before and also you can notice like "water marks" inside the pony, as well as light shown outside the pony image.

Is guess this can get replace under warranty...? I looked for them in the ford parts site and they are like $100+ each
Attached Thumbnails Driver Side Pony Projector Problems-img_0135.jpg  
Old 11/20/12, 06:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelting
Old 11/20/12, 06:33 PM
GT Member

yep, and getting worse with every wash or rain....and in a country know for its tropical rain forest, very hard to avoid it
Old 11/23/12, 09:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gritty1
Anybody having problems with their Pony Projectors? My driver side projector seems to be out of focus and it is not clean and crisp image of a pony anymore. In fact, it looks like the light is out of focus, larger and there are extra spots around the pony...kinda first looked like dirt flying up around hooves, now it looks like he's taking a crap. Seriously! I will take a pic tonight and post. It's very embarrassing.
Originally Posted by viiStang
I started another thread regarding my driver side projector. Mine's actually not in the same place it was, where the head of the pony is running at 12:00. It's actually running now at 8:00 lol. But now that you mention, focus, my passenger side is more of a soft light sharper hue. Where as my driver side is brighter hue and not as nice as my passenger side.
Hey peeps,

I recommend you all make an appointment with your dealers for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Originally Posted by CR_Stang
I noticed the problem a couple of months ago, I was waiting to see if anyone ran into the same problem. It started with the driver's side, but now the passenger side has the same problem. You can see the the image is not as sharp as before and also you can notice like "water marks" inside the pony, as well as light shown outside the pony image.
Is guess this can get replace under warranty...? I looked for them in the ford parts site and they are like $100+ each
CR_Stang, please visit your Ford dealer and if you need further assistance, please contact Ford Central America at +1 (1) 313 594 4857.

Deysha
Old 11/28/12, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Deysha!! I'm going to bring my car in for Service at my dealer this coming Monday. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11/28/12, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by viiStang
Thanks Deysha!! I'm going to bring my car in for Service at my dealer this coming Monday. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks, viiStang.

Deysha
Old 12/4/12, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

So service called me back and said they need to order a new lamp. They said it was put in backwards but that's not true. Because it was fine up until a month ago. So I think the filter inside got knocked off kilter or something. Either way they're going to replace is FOC since it's covered under warranty.
Old 3/4/13, 07:44 PM

Thumbs up

My dealer replaced the lights this morning.

Thanks to Deysha for contacting the dealer!!!
Old 3/4/13, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, I have the same issue on my p/s, going in to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 3/5/13, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by wheelman
Cool! Let us know how did it go. My dealer was surprised seeing such issue, they never saw such lights before in the first place. But it took them just a half of an hour to install new lights. And they didn't say anything about why it happens, just were guessing that it's might be because of car wash, soap get there somehow and distort the picture.

Last edited by zheludov; 3/5/13 at 07:38 AM.
Old 3/5/13, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by zheludov

Cool! Let us know how did it go. My dealer was surprised seeing such issue, they never saw such lights before in the first place. But it took them just a half of an hour to install new lights. And they didn't say anything about why it happens, just were guessing that it's might be because of car wash, soap get there somehow and distort the picture.
Not going well so far. Tech tries to tell me that as long as its projecting, Ford wont cover it. My response: "I want to talk to a manager RIGHT NOW." Theyre taking another look.

EDIT: mirror now ordered

Last edited by wheelman; 3/5/13 at 05:06 PM.
Old 3/6/13, 07:10 AM

My dealer replaced the lights this morning.
Thanks to Deysha for contacting the dealer!!!
Awesome, zheludov! They look great!

Let me escalate this for you as well, wheelman. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 3/6/13, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Awesome, zheludov! They look great!

Deysha
Thank you very much for help!
Old 3/6/13, 10:04 AM

EDIT: mirror now ordered
Oh wow!!! Whole mirror? Mine replaced just the light.
Old 3/6/13, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh wow!!! Whole mirror? Mine replaced just the light.
Thats what they said. We'll see in a few days.

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems-image-1107370390.jpg

Last edited by wheelman; 3/6/13 at 12:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Side Pony Projector Problems