Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Dealer told me tunes void warranty

Old 5/6/11, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer told me tunes void warranty

I don't have a tune but I want one, people have said on this forum that it's a myth and others have said that its not a myth so I called the dealer and they told me that it would. So what's the bottom line, have you guy been told different or is it the same story. I know you can just put the factory tune back on it but I really don't want to risk it.
Old 5/6/11, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a known fact for a while.

If you don't wanna risk it, don't tune it. Simple as that.
Old 5/6/11, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

A tune will void your powertrain/engine warranty... But some dealers look the other way, some don't... Depends on the advisor, manager, and tech; try staying on their good side.

Like 'lewis26' said 'if you don't wanna risk it, don't tune it.'
Old 5/6/11, 08:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by hahnsolo78
I don't have a tune but I want one, people have said on this forum that it's a myth and others have said that its not a myth so I called the dealer and they told me that it would. So what's the bottom line, have you guy been told different or is it the same story. I know you can just put the factory tune back on it but I really don't want to risk it.
Easy. Of course the dealer will tell you that because they don't want to get caught in the middle between you and Ford if there is a dispute.

Legally they can't void your warranty for a tune. However, its much like legally you can't be mugged in Central Park at 1 AM with hundred dollar bills hanging out of your pocket.

They can refuse to fix something if it broke as a result of the tune (or any other mod). Legally, they have to prove this, but as I mentioned, people or companies sometimes do illegal things.

So it is relatively common for Ford (thru the dealer) to tell you they believe the tune caused some failure. Then you have to accept that or take them to court. And its not law and Order, beyond a reasonable doubt court, its a civil, preponderance of the evidence, court; think Judge Judy.

Having a dealer that wants to make you happy is a big plus.

The fact that apparently Ford can't prove you had a tune if you unload it before taking the car in can help in (1) making the dealer a little more on your side, or (2) convincing Judge Judy a tune couldn't be the cause because you never had one. Of course, the removing the tune could be difficult in some circumstances depending on the nature of the failure.

And before anyone starts shouting about advocating fraud; it is not fraud to add or remove a tune or to not volunteer that you use one.
Old 5/6/11, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I may be wrong, but I have read (can't recall where) that some of the manufacturers are now collecting the tune information and storing the fact the car was tuned in the on board computer system. So a dealer, when reading the codes, will see this one and know the car had a tune and it was removed. If you have an engine related problem, most likely using this information, the warranty repairs will be denied.

You may want to research this with your tune provider before you do anything....or, wait 36 months until the warranty is gone.
Old 5/6/11, 09:30 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we get a sticky regarding these threads to help clarify. I know this isn't the first time the topic has come up, and the answers are out there. HoosierDaddy laid it out pretty clear, the only thing I'd like to add is this:

1 - to detail what he said, the act that makes this possible is the Magnusson-Moss Act. Google/Wiki it for details.

2 - There are several reports that the current ECU has no way of "knowing" that the tune was installed, meaning, taking it to a dealer with a tune recently removed will NOT set off a red flag/warning light to the tech looking at your vehicle. Several methods, such as setting a bit or using a checksum are not employed in the current vehicles.
Old 5/6/11, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

At least in the US, the Magnusson-Moss act makes it illegal for a company to deny a warranty claim simply on the existence of an aftermarket part or programming.

However if the aftermarket part or programming directly resulted in, or contributed to the malfunction your claim may be denied. It does not however outright void your warranty.

However because this is a legal battle, you better believe that Ford can out-lawyer you if it comes to that. So if you can't afford to fix your modified car out of pocket, it's probably best to stay away from modding it to an extent that damage may occur.
Old 5/6/11, 10:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FRPP tune is the only way to go if you're interested in keeping your warranty without any dispute at the dealer.
Old 5/6/11, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
FRPP tune is the only way to go if you're interested in keeping your warranty without any dispute at the dealer.
I have heard this before too, and I contacted service and parts but neither were helpful. Do I contact ford racing directly or what?
Old 5/6/11, 11:45 AM

I have heard this before too, and I contacted service and parts but neither were helpful. Do I contact ford racing directly or what?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/calib...on_article.pdf

http://www.fordracingparts.com/calibration/default.asp
Old 5/24/11, 04:16 PM
MD1
GT Member

I don't know about you guys, but I don't give a rats **** what my dealer thinks about my tune.

When I buy a cake from the bakers, I don't ask the baker if I'm eating it right.
Old 5/24/11, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

My dealer told me they'd seen two people who were out of luck after they put in a tune that ruined the #8 cylinder, inferring that the Tune caused it instead of the well-documented #8 cylinder defect. Bastages. This is why I hesitate to do any tune.

Plus, didn't I read somewhere that the FRPP tune actually DECREASED horsepower at some rpms?
Old 6/1/11, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MD1
I don't know about you guys, but I don't give a rats **** what my dealer thinks about my tune.

When I buy a cake from the bakers, I don't ask the baker if I'm eating it right.
If you're willing to "eat" the cost of a new engine from an over-aggressive tune, you can listen to whoever you want!
Old 6/4/11, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A tune will void the engine/drivetrain warranty because you're making the car run outside the parameters it was designed to run in. Just reflashing the car isn't enough, that doesnt allow enough drive cycles to accumalate to show car was working, and they do void those. Some people are reflashing the car, and letting the battery die and tow it in, hence no drive cycles. I'm sure Ford/dealerships are going to catch on tho this if it becomes a trend. PS, they take pics of your car if they see things out of the ordinary for a CYA insurance on their behalf so you cant change things later. I took my car in for an oil change, and the shop manager was taking pics of the suspension and exhaust work for "future reference" he said. The only reason I saw was because I like to watch them work on my car, in case someone has an oops and hits my door, etc.
Old 6/5/11, 12:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well the only mod I have other then the cosmetic ones are the stock 2011 gt500 axle backs, is this something I should be worried about for warranty issues?
Old 6/5/11, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Well the only mod I have other then the cosmetic ones are the stock 2011 gt500 axle backs, is this something I should be worried about for warranty issues?
Rule of thumb is stay behind the cats and the only thing not covered is what you replace.
There are dealers that overlook things, but anymore Ford is coming down on some of the things that Ford knows should not be breaking and are and checking more closely.
I have seen Warranties voided on an engine because of a CAI, Off Road Exhaust, headers and High Flow Cats as well as actually pulling the Computers on Lightnings to see if a chip had been installed.
There have even been a few on Mustang Sites that have talked about the Ford Tunes and CAI even installed by Ford Voiding the Warranty.
You have to Pay to Play.
Old 6/5/11, 02:59 PM
Cur
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Rule of thumb is stay behind the cats and the only thing not covered is what you replace.
There are dealers that overlook things, but anymore Ford is coming down on some of the things that Ford knows should not be breaking and are and checking more closely.
I have seen Warranties voided on an engine because of a CAI, Off Road Exhaust, headers and High Flow Cats as well as actually pulling the Computers on Lightnings to see if a chip had been installed.
There have even been a few on Mustang Sites that have talked about the Ford Tunes and CAI even installed by Ford Voiding the Warranty.
You have to Pay to Play.
Technically the FRPP tune does void your Ford MoCo powertrain warranty, but if you have it "installed by Ford at time of delivery" FRPP will "replace" that warranty with their 3 year / 36 month warranty, as posted above.
Since FRPP tune doesn't have a CAI for the 11-12 Mustangs, I'd be careful about adding one with that tune as it isn't calibrated for it.
Old 6/5/11, 03:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the FRPP Tune in both my 2006 and 2011, I have had my 2006 in bad plugs/fuel pump in 2009 and there was no problem with the warrantee here..
Old 6/14/11, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cur
Technically the FRPP tune does void your Ford MoCo powertrain warranty, but if you have it "installed by Ford at time of delivery" FRPP will "replace" that warranty with their 3 year / 36 month warranty, as posted above.
Since FRPP tune doesn't have a CAI for the 11-12 Mustangs, I'd be careful about adding one with that tune as it isn't calibrated for it.
I'm a little biased here since I work for an engine component supplier, but all of the parts of the vehicle have a design limit. Some of the limits include life time... some parts run for 100k + @ xxx HP, but only have a 50k life when the HP is increased by 10%. It's all part of the design process. More power needs different components it is a delicate balance between service life, performance and cost.

Filtration is one of those items... if you add a system that claims to improve airflow and you do not dramatically increase the physical size of the filter, to get more air into the engine is for the filter to have bigger holes... bigger holes=more dirt=faster wear out.

Regarding the FRPP warranty, I think you need to reread the warranty statement from FRPP. It states they will warranty the dealer installed parts, not the whole powertrain.

The key is, if you modify the vehicle from how it was assembled by Ford and this modification causes a Ford component to fail, Ford is not responsible to cover the cost of repair.

The warranty covers defects in material or workmanship that Ford did... not what you decided to do.

If you want to change the performance, then you need to accept what can happen.

Just be cautious.. it's your ride and wallet.

Last edited by lidserra; 6/14/11 at 05:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 6/14/11, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MD1

I drove my car like I was I was at Talladega and Daytona for the first 1,500 miles. I seated the rings to say the least and she held together just fine. My logic is that if it can avoid that abuse stock then a Steeda tune with sensible driving and only blowing the doors off the annoying Camaro or Challenger on rare occasion will be a no issue.