Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Corroded positive battery terminal - a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/13, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corroded positive battery terminal - a concern?

Our Stang is just over 2 years old now; about 26 months old. On our last oil change at the dealer (about 2 months ago) I noticed the positive battery terminal was VERY corroded while checking under the hood to make sure the dealer put everything back, and tightened everything down.

I went back inside, got the service manager, and showed him the terminal. He said 'that isn't right' and took our car back in the shop, had the terminal cleaned, and treated with some type of red, sticky substance.

I decided to check the battery terminal again this morning, and the terminal was all corroded up again. I have included a picture.

I can clean this myself, but is this something I should be concerned about? Is this a battery, or overcharging issue? We also have a 2010 F150 Platinum with the original battery and there is not even a hint of corrosion on the battery terminals, and we've had our truck for 3.5 years now.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Name:  Corrodedbatteryterminal_zpse32e34c1.jpg
Views: 7737
Size:  31.4 KB
Old 7/30/13, 02:49 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
First get rid of that red cover. Moisture is building up and staying under that cover. Easiest way to clean battery corrosion is really hot water. It works like magic. Those treated felt pads that go over the terminal posts help too. Try this and keep an eye on it.
Old 7/30/13, 03:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I agree with Al, nix the cap. A few drops of motor oil will also keep the corrosion at bay.
Old 7/30/13, 03:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Baking soda/splash of water eats it away. Rinse with water.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/30/13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 7/30/13, 04:15 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
You would be amazed how well just scalding hot water works. Didn't believe it until I tried it.
Old 7/30/13, 04:52 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You would be amazed how well just scalding hot water works. Didn't believe it until I tried it.
The thing I like about baking soda is it neutralizes the acid both on the terminal and below the battery, drain holes, etc.
Old 7/30/13, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
This is what my mechanic did to my Honda and like you said, it works like a charm. Try it!!
Old 7/31/13, 08:26 AM

Thank you to everyone for the responses and information. I called the dealer and am bringing our car to them tomorrow morning. They agree something is not right, so hopefully I can convince them to replace the battery, since I have learned a battery corroding this fast is indicative of a crack in the battery itself.
Old 8/1/13, 09:16 AM

Update 8/1/2013: Took the car into the dealer. They were going to replace just the battery, then inspected the positive cable and saw the corrosion had worked its way down the cable.

They are not sure if it is just the positive cable, or if it is into the engine wiring harness as well. Regardless, a new harness will be in this afternoon and they will start the repair, including a new battery.

Our car has to stay overnight at the dealer, and I will know more tomorrow.
Old 8/2/13, 02:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by dkpeppard
Update 8/1/2013: Took the car into the dealer. They were going to replace just the battery, then inspected the positive cable and saw the corrosion had worked its way down the cable.

They are not sure if it is just the positive cable, or if it is into the engine wiring harness as well. Regardless, a new harness will be in this afternoon and they will start the repair, including a new battery.

Our car has to stay overnight at the dealer, and I will know more tomorrow.

Good deal. Sounds like you have a good dealer to work with.
Old 8/2/13, 02:36 PM

Update 8/2/2013: Talked to the dealer last night about 5p. The corrosion had NOT spread to the engine harness, so they just need to do the battery harness part, and replace the battery, so good news there!

The new battery harness showed up this morning and they are still working on it. They said the harness is a "big job" and it would be late this afternoon before the mechanic was done.

The part that sucks most about this is, we take our Stang into the same dealer at least twice per year; once in the Spring after it has sat most of the winter in an insulated garage, and once in the fall before it starts staying inside for the Winter. I have all the receipts from every visit, and every multi-point inspection that is done each time. Each time everything checks out ok, yet the tech doing the battery test failed to see the 'mushroom farm' growing on my positive battery terminal right after they handed me the paper that said everything was good, then I point out the terminal to them while it is still at the dealer?

The problem likely started since we first took delivery of the car, but whomever was performing the battery test portion of our multi-point inspection each time failed to think the corrosion on the positive terminal was an issue worthy of reporting.

Anyway, the dealer is being cool, but I am still going to relay all this info to the Service Manager; the same person who I have been working with on the current repair.
Old 8/4/13, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=AlsCobra;6664404]First get rid of that red cover. Moisture is building up and staying under that cover. QUOTE]

Don't get rid of the cover. It's there for a reason.. Safety. Just as the blanket around the battery is there to absorb vapors. Manufacturers don't put parts on vehicle for nothing.

As you've found the battery was defective, probably forcing excess acid by the post and case corroding the terminal clamp.

I had a similar problem on my Mustang with a defective battery. I left a small amp charger on for a couple of days by mistake and the positive post cell pushed acid past the post corroding the clamp. Two other cells were also defective.

There have been lots of post regarding failing batteries if you do a search. Especially if the vehicle hasn't run for a couple of weeks.
Old 8/5/13, 04:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Lime GT;6666675]
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
First get rid of that red cover. Moisture is building up and staying under that cover. QUOTE]

Don't get rid of the cover. It's there for a reason.. Safety. Just as the blanket around the battery is there to absorb vapors. Manufacturers don't put parts on vehicle for nothing.

As you've found the battery was defective, probably forcing excess acid by the post and case corroding the terminal clamp.

I had a similar problem on my Mustang with a defective battery. I left a small amp charger on for a couple of days by mistake and the positive post cell pushed acid past the post corroding the clamp. Two other cells were also defective.

There have been lots of post regarding failing batteries if you do a search. Especially if the vehicle hasn't run for a couple of weeks.
I agree with the red cover...leave it on. My 2011 Mustang has no issues with the funk you have on your posts, so something is indeed wrong. Water or any other moisture is NOT going to make a battery post corrode like yours did. Good thing you took it to a dealership that cared, and got it corrected.
Old 8/5/13, 11:07 AM

The car was finished late in the afternoon last Friday, 8/2. The dealer replaced the battery, and the cable assembly, which included a new red positive terminal cover. I am leaving the cover in place.

The positive cable assembly included several other connections, such as a connection the transmission, and other modules on the engine. It was quite involved, but the dealer did a very nice job, took great care of our car, and cleaned up all the mess.

I was also able to speak directly with the service manager about the history of checkups on our car, and all the receipts showing the battery was fine previously. He said he would address the issue internally, and made a note on the repair since all warrantied items have to go back to Ford for further examination.

I was very impressed with the work and care they took, which is why we continue to buy from them, and take our vehicles exclusively to them for repair and parts.

Name:  Repairedbatteryandcable8-2-2013_zps564e8025.jpg
Views: 4602
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 8/5/13, 06:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dkpeppard
The car was finished late in the afternoon last Friday, 8/2. The dealer replaced the battery, and the cable assembly, which included a new red positive terminal cover. I am leaving the cover in place.
Good choice. Dropping a tool across the positive battery lead and the frame, or the engine, creates a much bigger mess then some corrosion on the battery terminal. Best plan is to remove the positive terminal cover, occasionally, and check the condition of the terminal.
Old 8/6/13, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by radioguy1
Best plan is to remove the positive terminal cover, occasionally, and check the condition of the terminal.
I fully agree.
Old 10/6/13, 03:54 PM

Newbie needs HELP!!!
Same issue here I just got my 2012 gt on Wed past week and I bought the car from a small local dealer ,I did noticed that a positive terminal is all white and lose and corroded. The dealer assure me that I can take my car to local Ford and have it fix cause it's still under warranty!. Great so I went straight to my local ford in Schaumburg, IL .I told the service advisor that positive terminal is lose and corroded so they took the car in ,after few minutes they call me and the first story was that my Battery is aftermarket and that it will not be cover by the warranty, than the service manager comes up and said that it's not the aftermarket battery but it was" over tighten"and ford will not cover this because it's not a factory default . So which story is it the B.S aftermarket battery or physical damage as he claims??? Any way I have a filling that they trying to screw me over and pay 180.00 for parts and 500.00 labor .Please help what should I do just let the fix it and pay the 600+ or what ?
Old 10/6/13, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll need a new battery. Go to Sears.

Then go to the "small local dealer" and give them a bill for the Sears job.
Old 10/7/13, 07:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 90saleen
Newbie needs HELP!!!
Same issue here I just got my 2012 gt on Wed past week and I bought the car from a small local dealer ,I did noticed that a positive terminal is all white and lose and corroded....
Hello 90saleen,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Please remember, if you get the repair done at your Ford Dealer, it’ll come with a 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever one comes first) warranty. Speak to your Service Manager for more info.

Deysha
Old 10/7/13, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hello 90saleen,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service.

Deysha
So nice to see Deysha still around here after so much time.

Deysha has been extremely helpful to all of us here, especially those of us who special ordered Mustangs, or are planning to.

Thanks again, Deysha!

/back on topic

Quick Reply: Corroded positive battery terminal - a concern?