Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Convertible Rear Window Defogger

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/11, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Convertible Rear Window Defogger

The rear window defogger in my 2010 Mustang Convertible has broken after 13,500 miles. The dealer told me that the only way to fix it was to replace the top and that the rear window defogger is not covered under warranty because it is not a manufacturing defect. I don't have $2000 to replace the top (that's what he told me it would cost). Any suggestions?
Old 11/29/11, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

That's BS as your warranty should cover ANY non-maintenance issue with the car. I had my entire top replaced for premature wear under warranty, so I would take it to another dealer.

You should also PM Deysha on here as she is a Ford Customer Service Rep and has helped many others solve warranty/repair issues. https://themustangsource.com/members...ervice-111098/
Old 11/29/11, 07:11 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mary G
The rear window defogger in my 2010 Mustang Convertible has broken after 13,500 miles. The dealer told me that the only way to fix it was to replace the top and that the rear window defogger is not covered under warranty because it is not a manufacturing defect.
Originally Posted by Doogie
You should also PM Deysha on here as she is a Ford Customer Service Rep and has helped many others solve warranty/repair issues. https://themustangsource.com/members...ervice-111098/
Thanks, Doogie!!

Welcome to the forum, Mary G. I’d like to look into this further and escalate it if needed. Please PM me with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer.
Deysha
Old 11/29/11, 07:38 PM

We purchased a 2010 convertible and the dealer had to replace the top under warranty because it had cracks in. The dealer is crazy, it is covered under your warranty bumper to bumper for 36,000 miles.
Old 12/7/11, 04:16 AM

Angry Update

As I was getting ready to file my Better Business Bureau complaint, I decided to give Ford one more chance. I called them and found out that the dealer should have sent them pictures and applied for warranty coverage. The dealership didn't bother, so now I have to go back to the dealer and have them take and submit the pictures to Ford. This is a nightmare. I am still filing my BBB complaint, and frankly I have no idea if the rear window defogger will ever be fixed. I have driven a lot of Fords (my first car was a 1953 Lincoln Capri), and at this rate this will be the last time I ever buy a Ford. I love my Mustang, but this is ridiculous.
Old 12/7/11, 09:22 AM

As I was getting ready to file my Better Business Bureau complaint, I decided to give Ford one more chance. I called them and found out that the dealer should have sent them pictures and applied for warranty coverage. The dealership didn't bother, so now I have to go back to the dealer and have them take and submit the pictures to Ford. This is a nightmare. I am still filing my BBB complaint, and frankly I have no idea if the rear window defogger will ever be fixed. I have driven a lot of Fords (my first car was a 1953 Lincoln Capri), and at this rate this will be the last time I ever buy a Ford. I love my Mustang, but this is ridiculous.
I sent you a PM with some info, Mary G.

Deysha
Old 12/7/11, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW....never buying another Ford because of how one dealer handled a broken window defroster......

So many are so quick to jump....give the dealer a chance to fix being stupid.....the reps on here do a great job too.....
Old 12/7/11, 07:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT DEALER.

They get money for warranty repair. Although, it is debatable whether Ford actually pays them enough for it, the fact is, if you give them any business, they will receive rewards unduly, whether that's your money, or Fords for their warranty claim.

Go to another dealer. Never darken their door again.

---

Oh, and +1 on disbelief of the 'never buying a Ford' thing for a bad dealership. Goodness me. It's a top, it's a warranty claim, Ford is going to cover it, it's the *dealership* that has to be blamed, not Ford. Don't buy another car, or do any business from THAT DEALER again. The nerve of them... that doesn't make Ford look good, obviously, and that dealer should stop being rewarded if this is their standard mode of operations.

I will not go to certain places ever again because of this kind of treatment. I drive *out of my way* to go where I will be treated correctly.

/And that's enough soapboxin'.

Last edited by houtex; 12/7/11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12/7/11, 07:06 PM

If Ford had rescued me by now (it's been three weeks), I might feel differently, but there is no assurance this will be fixed, and although Ford is currently being helpful, they are making no promises. They don't seem to stand behind their warranty. I have been in touch with Ford since November 17, when the dealership told me it would cost me $2000 to fix the problem.
Old 12/7/11, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They put 3 tops on my '07 Vert in the 36,000 warranty....original stained, 2nd leaked at top rear seam due to improper assembly, 3rd due to side trim splitting. The first top was at the purchasing dealer in Az., the last two here in Fl.

Get a different dealer....and I don't see you wanting to trade this car to get away from Ford.... If you live by your idea of poor service and you will not buy from that company, you will soon be without many important items in life.
Old 12/8/11, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AzPete
the reps on here do a great job too.....
Thanks, AzPete!

Deysha
Old 12/20/11, 05:26 PM

This is my update. The Ford engineer (whoever or whatever) came to the dealership today and fixed my car. I will find out if the defogger actually works tomorrow morning, when I attempt to use it, but at least the wires are glued (or soldered) in place and it looks good. It wound up costing me $7, which was the amount of gas I put in the loaner car. If it works, I am very happy, but I also wonder why this couldn't have been done without my contacting the Better Business Bureau.
Old 12/20/11, 05:55 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
oh, boy what an odyssey
Old 12/20/11, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The rear window defogger in my 2010 Mustang Convertible has broken after 13,500 miles. The dealer told me that the only way to fix it was to replace the top and that the rear window defogger is not covered under warranty because it is not a manufacturing defect. I don't have $2000 to replace the top (that's what he told me it would cost). Any suggestions?
The car has 13K on it, still withing mileage and time limit for warranty, it quits working on its own and its not a Manufacturing defect? I'd say thats exactly what it is.. lol
Old 12/31/11, 11:58 AM

Someone needs to invent an attachment method for convertible defoggers that actually stays. I've had the same problem with my Audi TT roadster twice. Sounds like I'll feel right at home in a Mustang.
Old 12/31/11, 03:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My defroster tabs came off on my 2006 convertible. I picked up a kit from frostfighter.com and put it back together myself. One was 3 years ago when the dealer fix failed, and the other was two years ago. Both holding up fine.
Old 2/26/13, 05:01 PM

Somethings never change. I have a 2011 with barely 17,000 miles. Same thing has happened to me. Only difference is the dealer agrees that it should be a warranty issue and Ford says it isn't and won't pay. And then they ask me to sign up for an extended warranty for $1500. Why, so they can deny more claims?
Old 3/1/13, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by tjclarke696
Somethings never change. I have a 2011 with barely 17,000 miles. Same thing has happened to me. Only difference is the dealer agrees that it should be a warranty issue and Ford says it isn't and won't pay. And then they ask me to sign up for an extended warranty for $1500. Why, so they can deny more claims?
Welcome to the forum, tjclarke696. My name is Deysha with Ford Service. Let me get this reviewed for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 3/21/13, 06:53 PM

It is good to find out that I am not the only problem with the rear window defroster not working in my 2010 Mustang convertible. Car has 33,000 miles, still in warrantly time frame. The wires have come loose from the window. The dealership took pictures two times and sent to Ford. Ford has denied the claim as not a manufacturer defect. Dealership is now trying to decide if they will cover part of replacing top and I have to pay the rest. It seems to me that if the defroster comes unattached from the window without anyone or anything touching it - this would be a manufacturing defect. I am not understanding Ford's ruling on this.
Old 3/21/13, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I used some silver conductive epoxy when mine broke, glued the connector back to the two points where the tabs connected to the rear window and taped it for support until it dried. I also used thos pocket hand warmer packets on the outside to keep the glass warm as it takes a day to fully cure. Came out great, cost like 10$.

Quick Reply: Convertible Rear Window Defogger