Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Clicking Noise from Dash When Switching Airflow Direction

Old 12/21/10, 08:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Clicking Noise from Dash When Switching Airflow Direction

I just started noticing over the past few days a clicking sound when I turn on the HVAC system. I would periodically here a single click after the system had not been running for awhile. In the last 24 hours, I have been able to replicate the noise by switching to blower setting where the air is directed in the middle. The clicking noise is repeated, resulting in about 8-10 clicks in a row in a short period of time.

I did a search and found some instances of the blend doors not working correctly in 2005-09 models. I haven't heard of this in the 2010+ cars.

The car goes into the dealer on Thursday (Merry Christmas to me), but I am not thrilled of the prospect of the dash being taken apart, which I am anticipating will happen (both to diagnose and repair).

Any words of wisdom or experience are welcomed as to the cause and resolution.
Old 12/21/10, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A couple of posts I found on other forums -

AllFordMustangs

Corral
Old 12/23/10, 12:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

UPDATE - The service advisor commented to me that they are able to access the blend door actuator area WITHOUT a removal of the dash. The glovebox door was removed to diagnose the issue. This should be the same to make the fix. The part is ordered!
Old 12/24/10, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting. I hope this problem was not carried over to the 10's and 11's. Thanks for posting the information. At least now I will know what the noise is, if it happens.
Old 1/2/11, 01:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A new actuator motor went in this past week. Fortunately, the technician was able to access the area where it went WITHOUT taking the dash apart (the glovebox door was removed). This has corrected the clicking symptom.
Old 6/27/13, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have this same problem on my (new to me) 2010 GT. I have the part on order.
Old 11/9/13, 01:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 GT did the clicking in the dash thing the other day. After reading threads on it, found out it could any of 4 door actuators. I haven't been able to repeat the problem in order to diagnose it down to which part is failing. Looks like 3 of the actuators are accessible from the glove box hole, the last one requires a dash dis-assembly to get to. So far it has only happened on start up, then goes away. Guess I will wait until I can figure out which part.
Old 1/23/14, 01:41 AM
Cobra Member

This just started to occur on my 2011 GT, I'm no longer covered under warranty. Anyone know much would this cost to have fixed? :/
Old 1/23/14, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
This just started to occur on my 2011 GT, I'm no longer covered under warranty. Anyone know much would this cost to have fixed? :/
If I remember correctly, the part itself was less than $100, so if someone is able to access the one needing replacement easily, I don't think you would have a big labor charge.
Old 1/24/14, 07:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey DaSFGiants4Life,

You should bring it in to your Ford Dealer and speak with the service manager. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 3/16/14, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Did you get the problem fixed? What did it end up costing? And does this sound like the problem you had?

Old 3/26/14, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2012 GT started doing this a couple of months ago and my warranty just expired. I am trying to build up some courage to do this myself. This will help with my issue glad you posted this.
Old 3/26/14, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
If I remember correctly, the part itself was less than $100, so if someone is able to access the one needing replacement easily, I don't think you would have a big labor charge.
Do you or anyone here happen to have part numbers or pics?
Old 3/26/14, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did this myself last summer. took 15 minutes and cost $25 for the part from the dealer.

there are 3 blend door motors under and below the passenger dash you can access. if the clicking happens when you turn on the defroster, chances are it is the lower one (easiest to do). I suggest accessing the parts diagrams online (forgot the link, easy to google) to find out where they are exactly located (and to get part numbers). once you find where they are, it is easy to just be ready to repeat the condition and put your finger on the actuator it so you can feel if it is the one that is clicking.

this may help: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...oor-motor.html

and: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...l#post12777530

oh, and I didn't bother removing fuses or disconnecting the battery when I replaced it.

Last edited by bones302; 3/26/14 at 09:21 AM.
Old 3/2/15, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by bones302
there are 3 blend door motors under and below the passenger dash you can access. if the clicking happens when you turn on the defroster, chances are it is the lower one (easiest to do).
Thank you for the information! What do you mean by "the lower one"? You don't mean the one that requires removing the passenger air bag do you?
Old 3/3/15, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by whitelightning
Thank you for the information! What do you mean by "the lower one"? You don't mean the one that requires removing the passenger air bag do you?
when you take the glove compartment out, you have enough access to all three to easily tell which is going bad just by touching them when the noise happens.
Old 3/5/15, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
when you take the glove compartment out, you have enough access to all three to easily tell which is going bad just by touching them when the noise happens.
Ohhh okay thank you !!! I will totally try that
Old 11/16/15, 09:27 AM

Hi boys,im Davide from Italy,
excuse me for my english....
I have a 2007 V6 Mustang and
This morning when I turned on the car , I heard the sound that clicks for a few seconds.
The sound can still be heard when I move the airflow selector of from 0 to cabin…

Please,what’s the bad actuator for you?
Must i remove glovebox to check or dash?
Tanks!!
Old 11/16/15, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi, Davide,

When I had this issue, the glovebox was removed to locate the bad actuator and replace it. Hope this helps.
Old 11/16/15, 10:37 AM

Tony tanks,but what's the correct name of actuator that commands airflow circulation?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clicking Noise from Dash When Switching Airflow Direction