Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Blinking CEL on downshift-- known issue?

Old 8/3/13, 11:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blinking CEL on downshift-- known issue?

So, I just got back from a drive where I, on two occasions, received a blinking CEL light and a noticable power loss/rough engine after upshifting to pass. The user manual and symptoms (power loss/rough engine) indicate a misfiring engine situation. On both occasions after letting off the throttle and shifting back up the light went away and engine returned to normal in around 15 seconds.

I wasn't doing anything aggressive or rough. It was nice, smooth rev-matched shifts and I didn't take the engine over 4.5k rpm while I was preparing to pass on a two lane road. This happened to me about a year ago, but it was after a pretty rough, poorly rev matched upshift so I didn't see an issue beyond my own mistake.

Luckily I am a cautious driver, because if I had attempted to shift while maneuvering to pass (instead of preparing ahead of time), I could have easily been left in a hazardous condition with a car unable to accelerate quickly enough to successfully finish the passing maneuver

I've done some searching on this forum and others, and it looks like a lot of people have been having an issue with power loss and CEL blinking that at least symptom wise match my issue.

Looks like some issue with either some firmware or I've seen some mentions of issues with o-rings. I've also seen lots of people say that nothing showed up in codes other than a log of misfires.

I have no trust in my particular ford dealer -- they've been historically very unlikely to look into an issue if their cute little code reader doesn't tell them exactly what is wrong.

So, anyone with experience know if

1.) what I'm experiencing matches a known issue
2.) how I might go about getting my dealer to actually investigate/fix (hopefully with some ford service bulletin or other than makes it clear that there is a known issue)
Old 8/5/13, 06:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MilesTeg
So, I just got back from a drive where I, on two occasions, received a blinking CEL light and a noticable power loss/rough engine after upshifting to pass. The user manual and symptoms (power loss/rough engine) indicate a misfiring engine situation. On both occasions after letting off the throttle and shifting back up the light went away and engine returned to normal in around 15 seconds.

I've done some searching on this forum and others, and it looks like a lot of people have been having an issue with power loss and CEL blinking that at least symptom wise match my issue.
Looks like some issue with either some firmware or I've seen some mentions of issues with o-rings. I've also seen lots of people say that nothing showed up
Hi MilesTeg,

This CEL issue could be the same thing others are having. However, you will need to make an appointment with your Ford Dealer and have it diagnosed. I’d also like to get it escalated to the customer service manager for your area so we can help. Please, PM me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha